BLDrinker

Hunting Trips Who Has What Planned?

13 year old neighbor got his bull this morning just a few miles from our place. Scored 341.5

post-18960-1412553774_thumb.jpg

13 year old neighbor got his bull this morning just a few miles from our place. Scored 341.5

jealous

Just got back from the laughlin/kingman quail opener....hot and dry....not many birds left. Time to focus on yotes and leave the birds alone for a few years to allow them to come back. We need rain in the winter time for the these birds. Oh and rocky boots suck...10th trip on the boots and they fell apart....geez.....

Don't tell me that! I have rocky boots. the rubber at the toe is coming undone on mine but it isn't a big deal. what happened to yours?

I am not a "hunter" only for the reason I don't have a place to store/don't think we could ever eat all that meat! But I do appreciate the effort and skill that goes into a hunt. I do love hunting with a camera though. Some of those big bull elks are stunning. Also love the beauty and inner peace that being in the forest and away from the world for a few days.

Whole left inner stiching tore off the rubber sole. From the heel about halfway up the boot. Good thing was they were just starting to break in nice....Oh well what do you expect from a $150 pair of boots....Oh and the great 1 yr warranty with proof of purchase...Rocky can bite me....never give them another dime of my money.

Jajl22,

Awesome report! That hunt will be talked about every year in hunt camp!

Congrats to you for putting in the work for your Uncle.

Congrats to your Uncle and Cousin, nice animals.

9 days till I start my way to Colorado!

Thx,

Good luck in Colorado

Beautiful country up there and some beautiful animals.

I will be looking for some pictures on this thread when you return.

Jdubrr that is a awesome story. Glad your uncle got one, hope it's not his last.

Time will tell on that, but even if it was it was a heck of a hunt!

Good Luck on your trip, sounds like your about to embark on a great adventure.

I think we all want to see some pics of some big bucks!!!

Nice bull!

He should be proud.

That wraps up the season. Everyone in our group that got tags has full freezers. This is her first bull, taken a few miles from our place. The screams/echos in our valleys cannot be described to anyone that hasn't heard elk rut before.

post-18960-1412868045_thumb.jpg

That wraps up the season. Everyone in our group that got tags has full freezers. This is her first bull, taken a few miles from our place. The screams/echos in our valleys cannot be described to anyone that hasn't heard elk rut before.

post-18960-1412868045_thumb.jpg

Nice 1st bull.

That is awesome you get to hear bulls nightly in your area.

The hunt i talked about earlier in this thread was the 1st time i had every been involved when the elk were in full rut, it truly is an amazing sound.

Incredible quality of animals around your property Wash!

Well it's time! I will be in the mountains of southern Oregon 6am tommorow morning. Hope to have some pictures for you this time next week.

Well it's time! I will be in the mountains of southern Oregon 6am tommorow morning. Hope to have some pictures for you this time next week.

I know it is late as you have already left but good luck!

It's no trophy. But it's a 5 point barely lol. Took him last night at 125yrds through the heart ran 20yrds and died.

post-47686-1413654806_thumb.jpg

Taxidermy guy said this is about par for the course last few years.

post-47686-1413688598_thumb.jpg

Butcher won't have my meat processed for another week or more. I will be home by then. How do you guys ship your meat? How expensive is it?

congrats!

We got our camp all setup opening day is this Friday for us

post-33685-1413904645_thumb.jpg

Congrats Mike!

West coast = 3x2

East coast = 5 point

Im in Utah overnight, on my way home from Colorado. My group went 4 for 4. Filled 4 deer tags for 4 guys. A 5th had an Elk tag that went unfilled.

1 forky

1 4x3 - mine - 23" wide and tall

And 2 - 4x4's one as wide as his ears and 1 that is 26" wide

We had a great hunt. Ill post pics tomorrow

Taxidermist showed me a mule deer rack that scored 311 inches. Yes! A monster! Unheard of!!! Ill post a pic of the rack tomorrow too

I leave Tuesday. Colorado here I come.

Edited by f-250ford

congrats!

Thanks. I was very lucky.

We got our camp all setup opening day is this Friday for us

That is a massive camp! How many tags all together?

I leave Tuesday. Colorado here I come.

Good luck.

Congrats Mike!

West coast = 3x2

East coast = 5 point

Im in Utah overnight, on my way home from Colorado. My group went 4 for 4. Filled 4 deer tags for 4 guys. A 5th had an Elk tag that went unfilled.

1 forky

1 4x3 - mine - 23" wide and tall

And 2 - 4x4's one as wide as his ears and 1 that is 26" wide

We had a great hunt. Ill post pics tomorrow

Taxidermist showed me a mule deer rack that scored 311 inches. Yes! A monster! Unheard of!!! Ill post a pic of the rack tomorrow too

Sounds like a very nice buck Matt. Congrats.

Here he is folks!

post-4654-1414191770_thumb.jpg

post-4654-1414192093_thumb.jpg

My buddy Brian's

post-4654-1414192200_thumb.jpg

post-4654-1414192264_thumb.jpg

Brian's Dad, Herb and his Brother, David (both first deer)

post-4654-1414192445_thumb.jpg

post-4654-1414192524_thumb.jpg

post-4654-1414192613_thumb.jpg

Herb and David shot their deer in the same field as they were feeding. Both deer fell 15' from each other. About 10-15 seconds lapsed between their shots.

They spotted a group of 3 in a field close to sundown. A quick stop of the truck and they were out and into the field. Both had about 50 yard shots and connected.

David's deer didn't go down right away so he let a 2nd shot go and that put it down. Herb's didn't take a single step.

Spotted mine about 500 yards away, drove to close the distance then out on foot just as Fish & Game pulled up behind us. As I walked off the road I looked at the

F&G Warden and waived, he asked if I had seen one and I said yes, he said "I'll stay here". I continued to walk, now about 200 yards and was only 20 yards from

where we saw the buck. Couple more steps and he busts out the back of a Juniper tree but I still couldn't see him, only heard him. Moved to my right and up a slight

incline and spotted him 150 yards out. Ducked behind a tree, extended my bipod and slowly moved into a small clearing. Seated, I got him in my scope, dialed it up

to 10 power and tried to settle in. He was quartering towards me but I had a good rest and let the first shot fly. Saw him trot away, not knowing if I had a good hit,

waited for him to stop and out goes the 2nd, this time he was broadside. Shot felt good and he was still standing so away went #3. Last I saw, the deer stumbled

but I couldn't find him in my binos.

Waited for Brian & Tony to join me (along with the F&G Warden - Terry - real nice guy) and we walked to where the deer was standing on my 1st shot. Found a blood

trail and did a little tracking. Tony spotted him bedded down in some brush but his head was still up. At about 40-50 yards I let another one go and this time he

wasn't getting up. Not the picture book way I wanted it to go but he is going on the wall none the less.

Brian's deer; I was going into Grand Junction with my deer from the day before. Tony and Brian were on the mountain and spotted a big bodied deer high up a

steep hill. Out of the truck and a slight climb and Brian took his shot, but he shot high (300 yards). He adjusted and let another shot go, this one hit and the deer

bucked and started to run down hill (a good sign) but wasn't going down. #3 goes out, deer hit again but still up. #4 and this one hit home and the deer went

hoofs up - literally.

Tony had an Elk tag - over the counter. He has eagle eyes and is a great asset to have in deer camp. He came along to help us fill our deer tags and said an elk

would be a bonus. It's too bad we couldn't find one. We hunted an area with a ton of sign - tracks, scrape, smell and droppings but could not get on them.

All in all it was a great trip! We waited 12 years to return to unit 21 in Colorado, I hope it's not another 12 before we get to go back!