BLDrinker

Hunting Trips Who Has What Planned?

6 hours ago, i8sand said:

There is a rhyme and reason, I have yet to figure it out !!! Seems like the same people I know get drawn every year. I have pulled a few tags for deer, elk and javalina. But not consistently, and the elk tag was a dry year, so no stalking as every step was a crunch, crackle or snap. 

If you put in for the same species for 5 years in a row you get an additional bonus point(forever as long as you put in for the draw for that species every year).  If you take the AZFG hunters safety course you get a lifetime bonus point for all species.  With these two points you can draw an elk archery tag every year for some good units or a rifle tag every 5 or 6 years.  If you want to hunt bull elk with a rifle early season on the strip you'll be waiting many many years.  I'm 51 and don't want to wait til I am 80 to draw a trophy tag so I hunt archery in a unit that has the best odds and the most elk.  I'd rather hunt every year than hunt a trophy unit once in my lifetime.

12 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

To put in for a tag in AZ you have to buy a license first.  A non-res Hunting is $160 (it's actually a combo hunt/fish because they don't sell a hunt only). 

It's additional if drawn.

I know, I do it every year. 

On 4/17/2019 at 12:18 PM, sausage450r said:

Is that near Montrose? Are there ski lifts on one side of the property?

No there is not. 

18 hours ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

To put in for a tag in AZ you have to buy a license first.  A non-res Hunting is $160 (it's actually a combo hunt/fish because they don't sell a hunt only). 

It's additional if drawn.

$160 to apply? Dam

Should be a bumper crop of quail and chukar this year for those of us that are too lazy to deal with killing  large mammals.

5 hours ago, BLDrinker said:

$160 to apply? Dam

Yep.  To throw your hat in the lottery you must first buy a hunting license.  For out of staters, that's $160...

On 4/17/2019 at 7:43 PM, fmyth said:

If you put in for the same species for 5 years in a row you get an additional bonus point(forever as long as you put in for the draw for that species every year).  If you take the AZFG hunters safety course you get a lifetime bonus point for all species.  With these two points you can draw an elk archery tag every year for some good units or a rifle tag every 5 or 6 years.  If you want to hunt bull elk with a rifle early season on the strip you'll be waiting many many years.  I'm 51 and don't want to wait til I am 80 to draw a trophy tag so I hunt archery in a unit that has the best odds and the most elk.  I'd rather hunt every year than hunt a trophy unit once in my lifetime.

I totally agree. I did take hunters ed for the lifetime point and I do have the extra point for deer and elk. I have been practicing archery in the back yard, but not yet confident I am ready to hunt archery. I enjoy getting out and just seeing wildlife.

I applied for Wyoming antelope and fairly certain that I should draw my second choice. Hopefuly I'll come back with some meat

On 4/18/2019 at 1:04 PM, BLDrinker said:

$160 to apply? Dam

Sounds like a California money grab trick........

I successfully drew a Cow tag this year.  Our group now has  

2 buck 

2 bull 

1 cow

Going back to Utah for deer, black powder.

I have a pig hunt in Texas in August and An Elk Hunt in New Mexico in October or November

My lineup for this year:

1. Upland birds and ducks in Imperial Valley throughout the fall. 

2. Colorado OTC Archery Elk - Solo backpacking trip into a wilderness area in the San Juan mountains above 11,500ft. Should be fun hunting the rut in mid-late September.

3. Utah mule deer near Bear Lake in late October.

4. Got an A22 tag for San Diego either-sex archery. Weekend excursions up to the local mountains.

Getting preference points throughout the west is getting pricey. Arizona is $160 + $10 per species application fees. Utah is about the same. No preference point system in New Mexico, but they keep $68 of your tag $ when you don't draw. Colorado changed their system this year and now you have to buy a license on top of the tag fee, I believe its $120.   Nevada is $155 for the license plus applications fees. Montana and Wyoming charge $50 per preference point, per species. California was $160 for all of my tags and stamps. Its costing me about $2000 per year just to get preference points, and with point creep, its going to be awhile before I am able to hunt the prime units in these states.  

A22 san diego this year for me (archery aug-new year) 

kids and I have been out lookin around

9CBE9196-25BB-4D72-B1FD-1050A3EC54F2.jpeg