1962 Corvette Resto Mod build

onanysunday

Well I am a happy camper today. These 235 wide tires are just barely going to fit. Never played with a 4-link before and I think that rear suspension articulates a little more than a leaf spring setup does. I guess that depends where the pivot points are.These tires are much smaller and they just touch the inside of the fender well. I personally think the car actually looks better with a 215 front and 235 rear. Some 18-in salt flat 5 window Wheels would look really good on this car. I think I have the ride height where I like it with this new setup. Now with less rubber on the road it will spin the tires even easier. Smoke em if you got em. Gearing will be lower being an inch shorter as well.

20211020_120519.jpg

20211020_120657.jpg

20211020_120953.jpg

20211020_121015.jpg

20211020_121749.jpg

20211020_121807.jpg

• Like 5

I like this wheel. And then I am guessing a softer compound nitto or something like that in a 245/45 - 18 would fit in the rear. Probably a 225 on the front.

Screenshot_20211020-123045_Chrome.jpg

A set of those salt flat wheels polished would be nice. Found a pic of a car. Looks like 18s. It does look cool with spinners. 

dream-giveaway-corvettes.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

Three full days of work to get the front grill and bumpers installed. Perfection simply is not possible when you're dealing with 60-year-old parts. Everything is so crude and does not match or line up. I have bent, shimmed, cut, notched, ground, jacked, stood on, pushed and pulled on this thing. I'm done. I have noticed looking at other cars how crooked these things are from the factory and this thing is 100 times better. No wonder the Riddler cars have thousands and thousands of hours in them. Just to get that extra little few percent of perfection.

20211024_145823.jpg

20211024_145833.jpg

20211024_145845.jpg

20211024_145901.jpg

• Like 1

It requires thick rubber spacers between the bracket and the body and then also between the bumper at and the body on the other side.

20211024_150813.jpg

I had not noticed this before but the curve of the fender well follows the line on one side and the other side it is further forward. Must have had something to do with the valence we grafted on the front end to remove the license plate bracket.

20211024_151603.jpg

20211024_151618.jpg

• Like 1

Other AC compressor installed. Fittings out the back now and will be a lot cleaner. Need to make the AC and water lines. Need to do something nice for the water lines. Not sure yet. Belt was jumping 1 groove so I shimmed the idler forward with some thin shims. Works so far at least at an idle. 

20211026_152137.jpg

Header is close to the hood opening ram. Not sure if the heat will kill it or not. Making a heat shield will be a PITA and would be hard to make look good.

20211026_152231.jpg

1 hour ago, onanysunday said:

Header is close to the hood opening ram. Not sure if the heat will kill it or not. Making a heat shield will be a PITA and would be hard to make look good.

20211026_152231.jpg

Like 2nd gear in a 2D, it's a consumable.   LOL 

21 minutes ago, Bobalos said:

Like 2nd gear in a 2D, it's a consumable.   LOL 

Sure hope not. Other issue is if it fails or there is a fire how to get the hood up. :scared: We have an idea for that.

• Like 1

The electric Hood ram only has so much range and lets the hood only opens so far. So I built a hood prop rod to hold it open as far as possible. Easier to work on. Really simple to take out one bolt and put this in place.

20211103_095608.jpg

20211103_095614.jpg

I am waiting on some new lug nuts with a 1in step instead of 3/4. May or may not have to machine the front ones down. Front wheels are actually slightly narrower in thickness. Tires fits snug but hopefully will clear.

20211103_100227.jpg

20211103_101213.jpg

20211103_101223.jpg

Little baby buggy bumpers for each corner of the hood. Two different pieces of rubber glued together to get the correct height for the hood to lay down just right. I fretted about this for months worrying about how the hood was going to fit but ended up being pretty easy. Two biggest issues we have right now are the transmission controller not letting it shift correctly and alternator not charging. We sent the module out for the transmission and it is okay so something in the computer or the wiring. This has been a fight.

20211103_102055.jpg

20211103_102109.jpg

Built a bracket for the emergency brake module to sit above the engine computer. Lot of electronics now sitting in this area. I will wire it later. That will be a big project. Starting to get excited for Good guys. Bought tickets yesterday and looks like hopefully we will be out there at least in the morning Friday the 19th and Saturday the 20th. All of that wiring will get cleaned up later when we know we are done tinkering with it.

20211104_132741.jpg

20211104_133418.jpg

20211104_133441.jpg

Edited by onanysunday

I gotta ask: 

The level of patience and detail on this is amazing.  How many tools were harmed during bouts of frustration?  Any Looney Toons style tool-shaped holes in the walls?  Random passers by hit by wrenches? Boots irreparably damaged after punting a trash can into Yuma?

:biggrin: 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I gotta ask: 

The level of patience and detail on this is amazing.  How many tools were harmed during bouts of frustration?  Any Looney Toons style tool-shaped holes in the walls?  Random passers by hit by wrenches? Boots irreparably damaged after punting a trash can into Yuma?

:biggrin: 

I think I have chucked a screwdriver only once during this project. I actually have quite a bit of patience. Just had another big victory today. The Dakota digital dash has intermittently worked off and on the whole time. The tach water temp and oil pressure would not work if you reached up and pulled on the wiring harness. Finally got pissed today and tore the wiring harness all back apart. It ended up being the can bus plug way up high under the dash that wasn't getting full connection. It is a push on connector that normally would connect without a problem. I'm going to extend both sides of that and have that plug down lower under the steering column for access.  And use a better plug.  

Edited by onanysunday
  • Like 2