jwest2sh

Desert Dynamics Bulk Head

Darn that skid plate is going no where!

I guess I kinda over built it....that's what happens when I have spare time, a fresh bottle of gas and a new spool of wire! Now I can nerf some RZR's! LOL

~jw

Put a fresh coat of automotive paint on it. Howe called and said my ram is done. Gonna pick it up tomorrow and start putting it back together.

post-24566-1418890307_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1418890346_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1418890373_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1418890399_thumb.jpg

Looking great. Love the pictures.

Awesome work. :ck: I really enjoyed the pics and education.

strong work, you need to go to Markha house and paint his front,

Damn right he does! Lol. He can check out the boxed front arms at the same time. :sha:

Damn right he does! Lol. He can check out the boxed front arms at the same time. :sha:

I want some of those arms and 12" 2.5's!

I just go to the local body shop and have them color match it. That color is a factory Honda color. The put it in aerosol spray cans now so I don't even have to clean a spray gun.

Got everything put back together. Just have to bleed the brakes and get it to the dirt! Howe completely rebuilt the ram for me. Magnaflux, new bolts sand seals and stops. Those guys are super cool to deal with! Thanks for all the input on the project. Going to do a PBS S5 next summer. I'll post some pics as I go. If you see me at the dunes stop by for a beer and say hi!

~john

post-24566-1419128155_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1419128176_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1419128208_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1419128237_thumb.jpg

WOW! I will have to have you spray can my new chassis, it looks good

I agree.... Did you really do that with a rattle can, or were you just saying you can get the paint in a rattle can.

Looks damn good!!!

I agree.... Did you really do that with a rattle can, or were you just saying you can get the paint in a rattle can.

Looks damn good!!!

It's regular automotive paint that you get from a body shop. They can mix it and put it in a rattle type can now so you don't have to used an actual spray gun. I use if just for the tubing when I make repairs or have to grind the powdercoat. It's about $70 for a half pint, which makes two regular size spray cans. you still have to use self etching primer and finish with an automotive clear coat. It's just less hassle then mixing paint yourself and all the cleanup that goes with it.

~jw

very nice I would like to do my 06 DD car some day.

very nice I would like to do my 06 DD car some day.

I'll keep the cardboard templates for the bulkhead. If you ever need them let me know.

~jw

I took it out for a shakedown run at Plaster City Saturday. Everything worked great and held together! The front end turned a lot better and I definitely noticed the 3" of travel I got back! Did some minor suspension tuning and it handled everything I threw at it. 106MPH on GPS in the Coyote Wash. It felt super stable and drove nice and straight. I was a little worried it would be too twitchy with only 6 degrees of caster. Here's a couple pics...I have some video of the front suspension working too. I'll try and figure out how to post that later.

post-24566-1420513367_thumb.jpg

post-24566-1420513379_thumb.jpg

I felt the same way 100% better with the wider front end, on the upper arms, took most of the bump steer out,

Nice. I wish i had the skills and know how.

Looks great!!! Guess I need to paint my front end now.

Bringing this one back up again for someone to look at the pics.

~jw

Awesome job great pics! I just picked up A DD car and enjoy seeing your posts. Your educating me lol

On 2/1/2019 at 6:26 AM, rmiller22 said:

Awesome job great pics! I just picked up A DD car and enjoy seeing your posts. Your educating me lol

The DD's are really fun cars.  Hit me up if you have any questions.  J Alper, Calikid and a few others on the board know these cars very well too!  I have a few other posts of upgrades I've done to mine over the years.

~jw

On 1/29/2019 at 7:48 PM, jwest2sh said:

Bringing this one back up again for someone to look at the pics.

~jw

Soooooo purty.

On 12/9/2014 at 6:40 PM, jwest2sh said:

Then only dimensions I got from Mark was 15" center to center on the upper A-arm pivots. I'll see if I can get Tim from Race Edge to print out the stuff he had on his CAD program and I'll upload it here. I kept the stock 8-1/2" center to center between the upper and lower pivots on the bulkhead, but I wish I would have moved the uppers down and inch or two. That would have a better camber curve than what I have now. I have the cardboard templates for the bulkhead still. I'm in El Cajon, CA if you are in the area you can come by, or I can trace them on paper and mail them to you. The templates will get you close then you'll have to fine tune the metal cutouts to your car.

did you ever get the print out?

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

did you ever get the print out?

No...sorry Kevin.  I've been doing a remodel so the attic is a disaster.  They are buried up there somewhere.  I'll be up there tonight and I'll look for them.  

i was curious about the different heights for the upper mounts what the differences were in the cad program you mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i was curious about the different heights for the upper mounts what the differences were in the cad program you mentioned.

I never got the file from my Buddy Tim who plugged the measurements into Solidworks.  I don't think he has that file anymore because his computer quite working shortly after we did that project and he got a new one.  I can take some measurements on my car if you need me to?   I belive I kept the height the same as it was stock, but I moved them out about 7" or so.  I might have even posted up the measurements on my thread...I'll have to go back through it and look.