jwest2sh

Desert Dynamics Bulk Head

3 minutes ago, jwest2sh said:

I never got the file from my Buddy Tim who plugged the measurements into Solidworks.  I don't think he has that file anymore because his computer quite working shortly after we did that project and he got a new one.  I can take some measurements on my car if you need me to?   I belive I kept the height the same as it was stock, but I moved them out about 7" or so.  I might have even posted up the measurements on my thread...I'll have to go back through it and look.  

yea, the measurements are all in this thread. i can figure out how to modify my car easily. dont think your template wouldnt work in my chassis since my midrail is quite a bit taller.   im looking to improve my turning on my car. right now to get it to turn hard i have to run hard into a corner, stab the brakes while turning then back on throttle hard to get it to come around.  if i just cruise into a turn it pushes before taking a set and turn.  i also need to add a sway bar to my car, way too much body roll which makes the turning even worse.

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

i was curious about the different heights for the upper mounts what the differences were in the cad program you mentioned.

Looks like 15" center to center on between the upper A arm pivots, and 8.5" center to center from the upper A arm pivot bolt to lower A arm  pivot bolts.  The 8.5" is what it was stock.  The only one I changed was the distance between the upper pivots, which shortened my upper arms.  That was the dimensions from Daves newer DD bulkhead design. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

yea, the measurements are all in this thread. i can figure out how to modify my car easily. dont think your template wouldnt work in my chassis since my midrail is quite a bit taller.   im looking to improve my turning on my car. right now to get it to turn hard i have to run hard into a corner, stab the brakes while turning then back on throttle hard to get it to come around.  if i just cruise into a turn it pushes before taking a set and turn.  i also need to add a sway bar to my car, way too much body roll which makes the turning even worse.

Mine used to do the same thing.  How much caster do you run?  I had like 11-12* stock.  I think I changed it to 6* and it's still stable at over 100 mph.  The sway bar really helped too.  I run a 1 1/8" solid sway bar.  

3 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

Mine used to do the same thing.  How much caster do you run?  I had like 11-12* stock.  I think I changed it to 6* and it's still stable at over 100 mph.  The sway bar really helped too.  I run a 1 1/8" solid sway bar.  

ive honestly never measured it.  i know my camber isnt right for sure.  right front has positive camber. not sure if castor would pull it out, or if the arms just arent built right.  the uniball cups in my lower arms were originally welded in at the wrong angle by daves welder guy. they cut them out and rewelded them and i never thought to check dimensions of the 2 arms to see if they were the same. 

olds6.jpg

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

ive honestly never measured it.  i know my camber isnt right for sure.  right front has positive camber. not sure if castor would pull it out, or if the arms just arent built right.  the uniball cups in my lower arms were originally welded in at the wrong angle by daves welder guy. they cut them out and rewelded them and i never thought to check dimensions of the 2 arms to see if they were the same. 

olds6.jpg

Looks like you have uni-balls upper and lower so you won't be able to adjust it much.  Maybe a little from the heims on the arms at the bulkhead and A-pillar by moving them in or out?  Does your car have a sway bar?  Love the look of that thing! 

1 hour ago, jwest2sh said:

Looks like you have uni-balls upper and lower so you won't be able to adjust it much.  Maybe a little from the heims on the arms at the bulkhead and A-pillar by moving them in or out?  Does your car have a sway bar?  Love the look of that thing! 

the heims at the bulkhead are all the way in on the upper and about half way on the lower. dont really want to have the heim sticking out more than that probably.  car doent have a sway bar currently. its on the list of things to add when i change engines to an ls engine. currently has an old school sbc in it.  oil pan is in way of where a sway bar would go.

22 hours ago, Kevin said:

the heims at the bulkhead are all the way in on the upper and about half way on the lower. dont really want to have the heim sticking out more than that probably.  car doent have a sway bar currently. its on the list of things to add when i change engines to an ls engine. currently has an old school sbc in it.  oil pan is in way of where a sway bar would go.

The sway bar was a game changer for my car.  So much better.  Would a sway bar that the arms come forward from the rear of the car work?  Like a lot of the Ultra 4 cars or TT are running?  

droop resize.jpg

17 hours ago, jwest2sh said:

The sway bar was a game changer for my car.  So much better.  Would a sway bar that the arms come forward from the rear of the car work?  Like a lot of the Ultra 4 cars or TT are running?  

droop resize.jpg

thats what i gotta figure out first.  after my next trip im bringing my car home to do this tuff to it and have it ready for my idaho trip in the summer. 

my thought is to make some mock up parts out of wood and pvc to make sure theres no clearance issues.  gonna be a challenge for sure though. lots of stuff in the rear of the car.

10644660_10200092746837466_4136141416905757014_n.jpg