Sign in to follow this  
D-n-Tyke

Looking For Help Getting My Kid His First Model Railroad Set

So my kid has asked Santa for a train set for x-mas. Problem is I don't know anything about these trains? What is the difference between HO, XO, N? I know they are different track gauges but no idea which is bigger, smaller, the normal size for hobbiest. Are there decent starter sets? My wife found a set on Amazon but not sure if it is a junk starter set.

Not looking to spend a ton of money as I am not sure if he will stick with it, but think he might so don't want to get him something that is going to be jnk and not last a couple years.

Edited by D-n-Tyke

HO is probably the most common entry level hobby set. Here is a link to more info clicky

PM sent / Call me

You want an O guage Lionel set...period!!! (not HO, Not O27)....the classic Lionel O guage!

:poule:

^^^^^^ is your guy.

PM sent / Call me

You want an O guage Lionel set...period!!! (not HO, Not O27)....the classic Lionel O guage!

Got your PM and will try and call you at lunch if not when I get home tonight. Why O over HO? We do not have a lot of room to set this up in. I am tinking maybe putting something together on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, that way it could be leaned against a wall when not in use. Would the O be to big for that? Like I said I will call you later, just easier/quicker to ask here when at work. Thanks.

1tonfun - Thanks, that link was very helpful.

I'm dealing with a 12 year old train addict right now. Just a warning, a 4x8 sheet of plywood will not be big enough for much of a set up. My son wants to take over the entire formal living room right now...or he would settle for a slot in the garage. It's kinda of a pain to be honest with you.

I'm dealing with a 12 year old train addict right now. Just a warning, a 4x8 sheet of plywood will not be big enough for much of a set up. My son wants to take over the entire formal living room right now...or he would settle for a slot in the garage. It's kinda of a pain to be honest with you.

Yeah, I am a little concerned about that. He is 7-1/2 and gets in big to anything he really likes. I was thinking if this is not just a passing fad then maybe we would build some shelving tracks in his room and then he can run it around his room whenever he wanted to.

What gauge are you dealing with? Any reason you chose that gauge?

I still have my first train set my parents bought me. I always set it up under the tree during Christmas. At one time, I had a large set-up with towns, mountains, deserts, etc in my parent's garage.

So my kid has asked Santa for a train set for x-mas. Problem is I don't know anything about these trains? What is the difference between BO, XO, N? I know they are different track gauges but no idea which is bigger, smaller, the normal size for hobbiest. Are there decent starter sets? My wife found a set on Amazon but not sure if it is a junk starter set.

Not looking to spend a ton of money as I am not sure if he will stick with it, but think he might so don't want to get him something that is going to be jnk and not last a couple years.

That Gauge stinks!

:laugh:

:bag:

So my kid has asked Santa for a train set for x-mas. Problem is I don't know anything about these trains? What is the difference between BO, XO, N? I know they are different track gauges but no idea which is bigger, smaller, the normal size for hobbiest. Are there decent starter sets? My wife found a set on Amazon but not sure if it is a junk starter set.

That Gauge stinks!

:laugh:

:bag:

Damn it! :nag:

Just bought this for my boy today. Was only $32.97 compared to what the price shows. Ya ya I know its no Ho, O or whatever but hell for the money and space I'll take it…:lol: says for ages 4-6 so may not be age appropriate for a 7yr old

http://www.costco.com/Thomas-The-Train-Ava...301&refine=

Edited by Lepimpster

x 2 You want an O guage Lionel set...period!!! I still have mine too !!!!!!!!!!!

O gauge Lionel from when I was a kid I'm 54 now. My dad is in his 70's and he still set up his trains every Xmas. He still has the American Flyers from his childhood. My grandson is 3 months old I picked up a o-gauge train set from Sams for Xmas.

If all the room you have is 4x8 then I would say go with n scale.

I've always been a total sucker for N gauge, absolutely love them. Probably not the best for the age group however.

N scale for me. Lots of train in a little space.

For a kid - I would probably go HO or bigger. Just easier to handle.

Great train shop to order from!!!

http://www.charlesro.com/welcome_to_charles_ro.htm

He has a BRAND NEW Polar Express set for $209.95!!!!! That is a SMOKING DEAL! use the track it comes with for around the tree / THEN order CLASSIC O GAUGE TRACK for the layout!

Like This!! O GUAGE with the black / I suggest O54 radius and a 5X9 board! ping pong table works well!

post-7618-1418404298_thumb.jpg

Edited by POULE43

Here is a Fantastic layout!!!! / AWESOME for a kid and limited space!

This is the type of layout I want ! I have the stuff / Just no room :lol: This is beautiful!

This is what you want to build for a starter set!

Probably a weekend job and a 12 pack!

:lmao:

:sraptor:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WuJRZ8DohbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's all about the N gauge!!! 4x8

But for kids start with ho