r3meyer

Diy Holding Tank Repair With Plastic Welding

So at the end of my last trip to Glamis I setup to drain my black and grey tanks. I turned on my tank sprayer for the grey tank and noticed alot of water coming out from under my older weekend warrior. On closer inspection here is what I found.

tank1.JPG

This crack was huge. Went from one side of the tank to the other. Close to 2 feet long. You can see in the picture where something hit the tank from the gouge marks.

tank2.JPG

tank3.JPG

Now normally I would just replace a broken part with a new part. However finding another holding tank that will fit in the same spot and use the same cross bars on an older 02 weekend warrior was going to be a task. A new tank was somewhere in the $200+ range plus changing the mounting location and plumbing setup. I could not for the life of me find the same tank.

I decided to give plastic welding a try. I have never done it before but figured what the hell. Grabbed a plastic welder from Harbor Freight that hooks up to an air compressor, some Polypropylene repair rods that were $5 for a pack and gave it a shot. Well about 1.5 hrs later I had a leak free tank again! Not a drop of leakage. I filled the tank and then pushed it up and down with my feet and it held! Could not believe it!

Its not pretty but I figured this might help someone else who punctures or cracks one of their tanks. It was easy and fun. Most important part is figuring out what kind of plastic you are welding and ensure the rod or patch is the same type. Tool was $49 and I am sure I will find a lot of reasons to use it.

tank4.JPG

tank5.JPG

tank6.JPG

tank7.JPG

I fixed the whitish fresh water tank by plastic welding and it holds 110 gal. of water most of the time. what I would do differant in the future that I read about after finishing and installing (PLUS I ADDED ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE TANK) is I have since been imbedding wire screen door material into the weld zone. and that really adds strength.

I had one of my fresh water tanks crack due to being full and driving over some very rough roads. I took the tank out and took it to a board member, MGM/FRP, on the board. His shop is in North County and he had it welded in less than an hour for dirt cheap.

Was well worth the drive for me. I added some straps under the tanks to help support them. No problems since.

I need to do that to my 5ver. I have a pinhole type leak about an inch from the top. So about 60 bucks for everything?

I need to do that to my 5ver. I have a pinhole type leak about an inch from the top. So about 60 bucks for everything?

Yep. They have 3 styles of welders. 1 is an all in one that has a built in fan blower on it, one that you plug into an air compressor and run at 10-15psi, and then an iron style. The one that plugs into the compressor is the style I got as it seems much better quality and was cheaper. One less part to fail and I have plenty of air compressors. You do have to make sure the air is on and running before you heat the element. You also have to remember to let it cool down before turning the air off when you are done. Reviews said this would kill the tool if you just turned it off.

Tool was $49.00 and a pack of misc welding rods (abs, pvc, and PP) were $5.

After I embed the green PP rod into the tank I used the welder to get everything hot and used a clean putty knife to smooth it out and kind of mix the plastic into itself. I plan on figuring out what plastic is on a RZR and helping a friend fix his cracked black plastics next.

Thanks for the info.

I had one of my fresh water tanks crack due to being full and driving over some very rough roads. I took the tank out and took it to a board member, MGM/FRP, on the board. His shop is in North County and he had it welded in less than an hour for dirt cheap.

Was well worth the drive for me. I added some straps under the tanks to help support them. No problems since.

X2. Less than 100 professionally done. Way to go?

great job!

we hot air weld plastic piping at work all the time and it holds great pressures. It takes alot of pinpoint heat to weld but becareful not to burn it.

I used the regular iron and repaired mine. Worked great, just experiment eith the different rods (pack comes with 3-4 types) to see what sticks best.

Bump for a nice post. Thanks.

I used a propane torch, a gasket scraper, and a plastic knife to fix the hole in my black tank. Ghetto, but has held for years. :hmm:

Is this considered "Thermo Welding"?

Tore my tank and was told that the tank has wax mixed with it and thermo welding is the only thing that works.

Yes, this is considered thermo welding.call me if you need any help.

Thanks for the info.

I forgot about this thread. I finally got around to fixing it. I used a propane torch and melted the pin hole area and it stopped leaking. Thanks for the tips and confidence to just go for it!

Thanks for the offers.

You are the one who educated me on these tanks 5 years ago. Would have had you fix it if I wasn't so far away. Found a cool old cat at a rv wrecking yard to fix me up.

UPDATE. Went all last season without as much as a drip from this repair. Still holding strong and learned a great skill I have used on all sorts of other things plastic that have broken.

Where did you purchase the welding kit? Link?

Good to know, thanks

Bump 

14 years and leaking !. Not too bad for an old Toybox....

MGM/FRP  pm sent...

On April 29, 2016 at 8:18 AM, MGM/FRP said:

Thank you Scott for the help on my water tank!, definitely worth the drive and he has all the parts!!!

image.jpg

wow that is a really good job. I wish you were closer to me.