Legit Duner

Media Was Hyping Up The Release Of This Video

What truly bothers me is the majority of the replies in this thread. I can't fathom anyone thinking the cop was justified in emptying his weapon over 15 fricken seconds-16 shots- into a perp,when wounded,immobilized, laying on the ground with a knife,not a gun. No wonder the liberals want guns taken away from people.

How come no one is asking why there was no outrage 13+ months ago when it happened? They can't tell me the community had a person shot 16 times by ONE cop for whatever the reason/justified or not and no one knew of it till now. WTF is with that? Where were the protests then? This thing just smells.

What truly bothers me is the majority of the replies in this thread. I can't fathom anyone thinking the cop was justified in emptying his weapon over 15 fricken seconds-16 shots- into a perp,when wounded,immobilized, laying on the ground with a knife,not a gun. No wonder the liberals want guns taken away from people.

Your ignorance astounds me. Just another internet "know it all" on a subject you have no FN clue about. :1cheff:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uj0mtxXEGE8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That should be a PSA

Where this officer went wrong was...

1). Did not take a reasonable amount of time needed to asses the situation properly. 6 seconds out of his car he is unloading as fellow officers stand calmly by showing no signs of imminent threat. Strike one.

2). 16 shots into a victim in any civilian homicide case would lend credibility to the idea that the shooting was emotionally motivated. Acting out in anger as he is listening to all of this go down on the radio then he shows up and immediately starts shooting. Strike two.

3). The victim was a far enough distance away to disprove the officer's claim that he felt his life was being threatened. Strike three.

I don't know if the officers had tasers in this case but that woulda been the right approach here.

I certainly share no empathy for the victim. If you are going to do drugs, and then walk around in public causing trouble, and then wield a knife as officers ask you to drop it things are just gonna go sideways for you quick. 20 years ago this was called common sense. Today it is your right.

Funny, you are able to assess that from the short, one sided, video that was released?

I would reevaluate your assumptions and educate yourself on the subject. :sraptor:

Your ignorance astounds me. Just another internet "know it all" on a subject you have no FN clue about. :1cheff:

WTF are you talking about? Either state your case Einstein or STFU.

Where this officer went wrong was...

1). Did not take a reasonable amount of time needed to asses the situation properly. 6 seconds out of his car he is unloading as fellow officers stand calmly by showing no signs of imminent threat. Strike one.

2). 16 shots into a victim in any civilian homicide case would lend credibility to the idea that the shooting was emotionally motivated. Acting out in anger as he is listening to all of this go down on the radio then he shows up and immediately starts shooting. Strike two.

3). The victim was a far enough distance away to disprove the officer's claim that he felt his life was being threatened. Strike three.

I don't know if the officers had tasers in this case but that woulda been the right approach here.

I certainly share no empathy for the victim. If you are going to do drugs, and then walk around in public causing trouble, and then wield a knife as officers ask you to drop it things are just gonna go sideways for you quick. 20 years ago this was called common sense. Today it is your right.

Funny, you are able to assess that from the short, one sided, video that was released?

I would reevaluate your assumptions and educate yourself on the subject. :sraptor:

Please share your evaluation if you even have one.

I think it is you that should STFU before you spew BS. I am merely calling you out on your ignorance on the subject.

Okay, First lets establish what a "safe' distance is, from a guy with a knife? (We will leave the under the influence of drugs out at this point)

I think it is you that should STFU before you spew BS. I am merely calling you out on your ignorance on the subject.

Again,WTF are you talking about? Apparently you feel this shooting was justified. State your case as to why you feel it was sir. Please don't give the tired old "he should have stopped running" BS excuse .

When a cop turns his lights on what do you do and why?
And that has what to do with using deadly force in this case? What's next? Didn't stop soon enough,pulled around the corner to get out of traffic, so deadly force is warranted for running a stop light? Some of you guys are really advocating the police be judge,jury,executioner if you piss a cop off. WOW!

Again,WTF are you talking about? Apparently you feel this shooting was justified. State your case as to why you feel it was sir. Please don't give the tired old "he should have stopped running" BS excuse .

Since you brought up the Gun Vs Knife, why don't you answer the question first?

I am not going to give you a justified or not. You need to think, and look at all aspects of the situation before you make general statements.

Sometimes life is not as simple as yes or no. Again, your statements show your lack of understanding on the subject.

And that has what to do with using deadly force in this case? What's next? Didn't stop soon enough,pulled around the corner to get out of traffic, so deadly force is warranted for running a stop light? Some of you guys are really advocating the police be judge,jury,executioner if you piss a cop off. WOW!

Here we go again, Stay in Kansas Toto, you do not have a clue.

You cannot argue with ignorance. Have a good day.........

All I know is these ass holes keep breaking into houses,cars,stealing cars including my house and my truck where I live. Cops tell me thanks to prop 47 these crooks have learned with non violent crimes they get released a day or two later doing the same shit in the same area. If there are no consiquences for actions then it won't stop. Does shooting someone in the back 16 times sound excessive? From the outside yes, but why are they running? What's their back ground and what crimes have they already committed?

It has to be extremely frustrating for police officers trying to serve and protect us, our families, their family's and make it home safe to kiss their kids good night when they are loosing their authority left and right thanks to cell phone videos catching half truths, more laws protecting criminals then officers and descent people

I could go on and on but I'm sure some of the members will already pick apart what I post, turn my words around and attempt to roast me because they have nothing better to do and love to argue on the Internet

Completely agree.

All I know is these ass holes keep breaking into houses,cars,stealing cars including my house and my truck where I live. Cops tell me thanks to prop 47 these crooks have learned with non violent crimes they get released a day or two later doing the same shit in the same area. If there are no consiquences for actions then it won't stop. Does shooting someone in the back 16 times sound excessive? From the outside yes, but why are they running? What's their back ground and what crimes have they already committed?

It has to be extremely frustrating for police officers trying to serve and protect us, our families, their family's and make it home safe to kiss their kids good night when they are loosing their authority left and right thanks to cell phone videos catching half truths, more laws protecting criminals then officers and descent people

I could go on and on but I'm sure some of the members will already pick apart what I post, turn my words around and attempt to roast me because they have nothing better to do and love to argue on the Internet

:clap1:

Since you brought up the Gun Vs Knife, why don't you answer the question first?

I am not going to give you a justified or not. You need to think, and look at all aspects of the situation before you make general statements.

Sometimes life is not as simple as yes or no. Again, your statements show your lack of understanding on the subject.

I bow to your superior understanding of the subject. When you decide to state your case without hurling insults we can talk. Bye.

I can offer a little insight into this thread. Ive been a cop 25 years and been in two shootings. I can tell you that when adrenaline if pumping, you have tunnel vision, and you are faced with something 99% of the public never has to deal with you tend to react different. A perfect example:

I used to teach our Citizens Academy class where the public could attend a 12 week course teaching them about the department, different details, a cops thought process etc. One of the most commonly asked questions was why cops have to shoot "so much" when involved in a incident. So we set up a scenario involving roll players,,,,Husband/wife argument that leads to a stand off where the man holds the wife hostage with a knife against her throat. The object of this was to see how the general public would react. Now I get it, they have no training and we never expected them to solve the problem. 100% of the time, the husband would throw the wife to the side and slowly advance towards the student who had a sims gun (similar to a paint ball gun) and 100% of the time the people would nearly empty their magazine into the male.

When asked how many rounds they fired, most would answer 4-5 rounds when in actuality they fired 12-15 rounds. The looks on their faces was priceless. Even the hard core anti-cop haters who attended were amazed they fired that many rounds. It was an eye opener for sure. Great class.

Im not going to make judgment with this video. The media only shows the shooting portion, not the adrenaline pumping high speed pursuit that lead to the shooting. I do feel bad for everybody involved and like FABR raise an eyebrow that it was released a year later.

This profession is not meant for everybody. I get it. But the general public pay us to do the dirty work that they don't want too. I work hard for my paycheck. I work where I live. I owe it to everybody (including criminals) to do the right thing, everytime, every day.

Jerry

Edited by The Goo

I can offer a little insight into this thread. Ive been a cop 25 years and been in two shootings. I can tell you that when adrenaline if pumping, you have tunnel vision, and you are faced with something 99% of the public never has to deal with you tend to react different. A perfect example:

I used to teach our Citizens Academy class where the public could attend a 12 week course teaching them about the department, different details, a cops thought process etc. One of the most commonly asked questions was why cops have to shoot "so much" when involved in a incident. So we set up a scenario involving roll players,,,,Husband/wife argument that leads to a stand off where the man holds the wife hostage with a knife against her throat. The object of this was to see how the general public would react. Now I get it, they have no training and we never expected them to solve the problem. 100% of the time, the husband would throw the wife to the side and slowly advance towards the student who had a sims gun (similar to a paint ball gun) and 100% of the time the people would nearly empty their magazine into the male.

When asked how many rounds they fired, most would answer 4-5 rounds when in actuality they fired 12-15 rounds. The looks on their faces was priceless. Even the hard core anti-cop haters who attended were amazed they fired that many rounds. It was an eye opener for sure. Great class.

Im not going to make judgment with this video. The media only shows the shooting portion, not the adrenaline pumping high speed pursuit that lead to the shooting. I do feel bad for everybody involved and like FABR raise an eyebrow that it was released a year later.

This profession is not meant for everybody. I get it. But the general public pay us to do the dirty work that they don't want too. I work hard for my paycheck. I work where I live. I owe it to everybody (including criminals) to do the right thing, everytime, every day.

Jerry

I don't disagree with any of that.

Been in a few fights with people on PCP in my line of work and it is not fun. They are immune to pain while in that state. Ive seen 5 people tased while on PCP and it was completely ineffective except to anger them more. If a guy is holding a knife, while on PCP and turns towards me, I can see this ending the exact way it did.

The thing about tasing people is the deployment of the taser isn't the end all. Most don't automatically comply once tased. After the 5 seconds of immobilization, you have to go hands on and apprehend this individual. You have to hope the taser worked and he releases the knife. I don't think anybody wants to get involved in a hand to hand combat with a guy with a knife on PCP.

Andy

The person that brought this upon himself justified or not got 5 mil for his family from the taxpayers and it has probably been spent already.

Both my wife and I have been employed constantly for 35 years and will not likely break 2.5 mil combined earnings pre-retirement.

So who puts a number like that to a persons like this?

I've covered a fair number of OIS incidents (officer-involved shooting) in my 20 years as a photojournalist in LA, and I've heard (and seen the results of) the same thing countless times. There was one guy in Compton who was on the receiving end of over 110 rounds at the end of a pursuit. (He got hit four times, none serious, which raised *other* issues as well. In the deputies' defense, he was in a vehicle when the shooting happened.) Same thing, all deputies involved thought they fired only a few rounds and were uniformly surprised that most had emptied their weapons.

Im not going to make judgment with this video. The media only shows the shooting portion, not the adrenaline pumping high speed pursuit that lead to the shooting.

The full video appears to be a secondary unit, not the primary. I don't know that there was a pursuit, though; IIRC the kid was prowling parked cars and was on foot the whole time. I do believe he had attacked another radio car immediately prior to the contact shown on the video, slashing a tire. Too bad the audio is screwed up, it would have been very enlightening to hear the radio traffic preceding the incident.

I do feel bad for everybody involved and like FABR raise an eyebrow that it was released a year later.

...and the day before charges are filed in the case? Yeah, something's rotten in Denmark. FWIW: Murder One is not winnable, IMHO. They're more likely to get manslaughter, *maybe* murder two if the cop's lawyer is an absolute idiot. Anyone even marginally competent at jury selection and argument should be able to get this guy acquitted. Which means the inevitable riots should be laid at the feet of whomever decided to charge this as Murder One in the first place.

I get that the additional rounds fired when the subject is prone look bad, but it is possible he was making movements that indicated a concealed weapon. Only that officer (and possibly his partner) were in a position to see that. What is telling, for me, is that *nobody* else fired a round. That indicates to me that the other officers present evaluated the threat differently, for whatever reason, and opted not to employ deadly force. Why? That will all come out at the trial.

Bottom line: Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If this outstanding young scholar had not thought that boosting cars while high on PCP then waving a knife at responding police was a great idea, none of this would have happened. The City of Chicago grossly overpaid for their perceived value of that man's life. I bet the true cost would have been about the same amount, reversed, once forty years of victim restitution and incarceration was calculated.

Jerry

Winner winner chicken dinner. Probably the most concise, and accurate, summary of police work (and the attitude required of those engaged in it) that I've seen. Thank you for what you do.

They probably saved money at 5 million what would it cost to arrest him a few more time and keep him in jail more than likely for most of his life. Rehab clothes food roof guards Medicare food stamps I can keep going but 5 mil the tax payers will pay either way

We talked about this yesterday on lunch at work - one or two of our young employees are like "cops use excessive force!" I said wait - the video we all see has zero audio (hmm) , shows as a back up responder - several mins of driving then a few secs of the guy walking then getting shot by the officer a YEAR after it happened ( hmmm) , still no info or sound to what happened BEFORE the responding officer arrived, they guy obviously had a weapon of some kind in his hand and he turns his back (could be pulling a gun from the shooters angle?) and gets shot to hell? I think that I would have done the same thing.

What if instead of thug lowlife vs. Police - what if it was you and your wife/kids/mom/loved ones standing at the cops perspective? You going to stand there while a bad guy, high on something, with a knife, spins around and can be on you in 2 seconds - with a knife or worse - or are you going to stop the threat? I am going to stop the threat.

Goo - great post my friend! :cheers:

This dirt bags family already got "paid" from the state/County 12 months ago. Do you think they saved up and started a college fund for the others in their community or family or helped themselves change their lives? My guess is no - they all have ghetto fab whips, Beats by Dre, p hat clothes and 30" rims and still live in da hood.

Regardless,the cop is going to do time for being a trigger happy officer. All the other officers on scene did not fire a single shot. Why would that be? Only one reason. It was not called for.