Tio Pancho

Pismo Camping Questions

Looking to buy a WW in the very near future and making plans to head to Pismo. Have not been to any sand dunes since 1998! Looking forward to getting back into it. Wife grew up going to Pismo and we would like to go there in late February. I have several questions.

Is February a good time to head to Pismo? What is the weather like then?

Is there any particular area/campsite to shoot for when I make my reservations?

Any issues in getting a Class A into campsites?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank00

Looking to buy a WW in the very near future and making plans to head to Pismo. Have not been to any sand dunes since 1998! Looking forward to getting back into it. Wife grew up going to Pismo and we would like to go there in late February. I have several questions.

Is February a good time to head to Pismo? What is the weather like then?

Is there any particular area/campsite to shoot for when I make my reservations?

Any issues in getting a Class A into campsites?

Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Frank00

Wind is a hit or miss but usually a hit..February is usually cold, class A moho's normally get stuck and usually don't have tow hooks (be prepared)...reservations are just a general admission to park n camp anywhere in the ohv area.....watch out for high tide on the Rio grade crossing......good luck and have fun

Thanks Mike. It was a bit confusing on the reserve America site, but from what I could tell it looks like the admission passes were sold out. I may just hold out for warmer weather. That would make mama happy.

Thanks Mike. It was a bit confusing on the reserve America site, but from what I could tell it looks like the admission passes were sold out. I may just hold out for warmer weather. That would make mama happy.

It's better to call and actually talk to a live person. If you wanted a pass for the dunes make sure you tell them it's for Oceano Dunes OHV park. California Parks does have another campground without beach access.

And make sure you bring a way to lock everything you leave outside up!!!!!!

My wife loves it there because of the beach and the shopping....I hate it for the same reasons hahahaha.

As mentioned you want to type in Oceano Dunes SVRA area if you are on Reserve America. This is for the offroad area, it is an open beach so first come on the camping, limit is 1000 reservations, I just looked and Feb. is not sold out on any date yet. The high tide line fills up quick, probably your best bet at not getting stuck but you risk the chance of water flooding camp at high tide. If you are looking for a normal camp ground you can do to the Pismo Beach state park or another one just north of that but you will need to truck your ORV to the riding area. To tell you the truth winter is the best time to go, you just can't really plan too far ahead because of the weather. Mainly due to rain and the creek that runs across the way in, if you have facebook look up Yo Banana Boy, they update the conditions on a regular basis. As for the wind, during the winter it is a rare occurrence, during the summer it is guaranteed.

So from what I have heard about the water crossing is, That the only time that the crossing has water flowing though it is when Lopez lake is full and they let water out. The water runs all the way from Lopez Lake down the Arroyo Grande Creek to the ocean. I was told that the Creek has not had a significant flow since 2011.

Pismo is a lot of fun, just small in comparison to Glamis. Also once off the wet sand get ready to air down truck and trailer. You can see the wet sand line I would stay above that if you camp on the ocean front. Make sure to bring a tarp once the marine layer comes in your toys /seats will get wet.

Have fun and good luck.

I agree with everything said. I spent weeks at a time there.

Take note of the Tonka Truck's number should you get stuck or in danger of high tide. He'll get you out of any hole and to any camping spot. It's pricey but he'll get you out/there.

Be VERY weary, cautious and careful of that creek crossing! Never, ever, EVER take it lightly and given the recent storms, I'm sure it's flowing.

We were just there at Xmas. There was no water crossing to worry about. Cold at night but beautiful during the day. Have never locked up anything at night and our group has never had anything stolen from camp.