mike dee

Bbq/smoking Thread

Gettin warm and pulling out the Weber smoker, as I get more involved to detail with my setup I have a question.

I've always used Kingsford with no complaints. I hear alot about Royal oak and will buy a bag this weekend to try. What charcoal or lump do you use for temperature? ........I didn't relize the variety available

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

Great topic!

I'm gonna watch this one too. I have a hard time keeping my temp up. That's good when I'm doing fish, not so good for pork.

I like Fruit woods but when not available I use Pecan. Temps really depend on the cuts of meat. For brisket I run 250-275 and heavy smoke for 3-4 hours then wrap and finish at 225 for 12-14 hours. Ribs are 225 for 1.5 hours of smoke and when the meat starts to pull up on the bone wrap and finish at 200 for 2-3 hours. I don't use the little smokers, I have a large custom made unit that holds 4-5 briskets.

I use Oak. I get it by the truckload for free. I cook way to much to be buying fancy woods.

Trial and error if you're using fire (like a man). Every smoker will be different. They all have different air flows, heat retention, inner volume....

I do everything from apples and chicken legs to brisket and poppers. I try and start everything earlier than later because my wife is a time Nazi and I usually have to go an hour longer than expected.

I buy the lump mesquite charcoal from Smart and final, big natural lumps that burn consistent for a long time. I am not able to keep heat steady with briquettes or the chips that lowes sells. I also throw in some 3-4" x 12" logs. I always smoke for 2-3 hours with apple, cherry or pecan, not into hickory, then wrap tightly in foil and finish in the oven at 225 for the hours remaining time needed.

I usually finish in my gas grill cuz the temp is easier to control.

I have a electric smoker keeps temps pretty easy and use apple wood quite a bit easier not to over smoke especially poultry. But on poultry I only do two rounds of smoke . Have my water tray for moisrure. And a electronic thermometer a must

I have a electric smoker keeps temps pretty easy and use apple wood quite a bit easier not to over smoke especially poultry. But on poultry I only do two rounds of smoke . Have my water tray for moisrure. And a electronic thermometer a must

YES! X brazzilian! I put the temp probe on the grill because that is where I want to measure the heat.

YES! X brazzilian! I put the temp probe on the grill because that is where I want to measure the heat.

Wireless! Dual probe. One for meat, other for interior temps.

Nice to go off and do whatever you want and still keep your eye on the temp.

What is the simplest, no frills and low cost set up?

I know there is a ton of fancy shit and it all costs $$$$$$$

Eff all that noise. I have a gass grill and can appreciate the smoke flavor of slow cooked meat.

What is the dumbed down version for me?

Papa Perry used Weber Smokey Joes and put charcoal on one side and place meat on other. Is that really all it takes?

Eff all that noise. I have a gass grill and can appreciate the smoke flavor of slow cooked meat.

Papa Perry used Weber Smokey Joes and put charcoal on one side and place meat on other. Is that really all it takes?

This is easy with your gas grill

http://www.lowes.com/pd_503157-65173-60190...997866&pl=1

Maybe not the cheapest but a traeger or something similar is the easiest way to smoke meat.

Green Mountain pellet grill using a three wood pellet Oak,Mesquite and cherry.

Heat to 300* put (EAT) brand name rub on a good one inch thick sirloin steak until the meat is dry. Cook for about two hours for medium rare. Melt in your mouth.

<----- uses propane and propane products

Yes, there are several different smoker boxes that you can put on your gas grill, and at walmart they even have a hockeypuck looking package of the various wood course sawdust for 98 cents that you put in water and it expands. Put that in your smoke box on the grill, heat grill to temp and let stabilize, put on meat, cook longtime, loooongtime...

I have this one for putting a nice smokey flavor in a regular bbq, it isn't large enough for longer smokes, unless you want to refill it a couple hours into it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bull-Stainless-G...er-Box/17365100

The chips like I described are called 'bisquettes'. Or you can buy any flavor. Mesquite and Hickory are strong, I use for beef and some pork, fruit wood chips are lighter. Pecan is nice, but I like apple and cherry best for chicken and lighter meats and fish.

An easy way to make a nice treat and practice your smoking skills is to take some trout, cut some slits juat through the skin longways all the way down so the seasoning can get in, sprinkle liberally with Lowerys seasoning salt inside and out, preheat grill/smoker to 225-250° and spray Pam on the racks. Spread out the ribs and put rib-side down on the grill, smoke for about 2-2 1/2 hours. Do not smoke right on top of the heat, do not put a water tray on the grill. Do not open your grill to 'check' on them for at least 2 hours.

Simple and fast and your family will love it if they like fish. You can smoke salmon the same way, just cut the steaks into 1 1/2" strips, and put on grill skin-side down for the same amount of time.

Edit: we will discuss brining your meat next week.

Edited by WLD-OTZ

I've got a drum smoker from Pit Barrel. Works with charcoal. Pretty plug and play. Compact for my area. You can hang the meat - i.e. brisket, ribs etc. Or use the rack for a pork butt.

www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Taken a little bit of getting used to to track and get the temps where I want them but putting out some decent BBQ now.

I got a dual, wireless thermometer to help track meat and ambient temp so that I can run around the house w/o having to baby sit it for hours on end.

But once we end up in TX later this summer it's on to a BIGGER smoker!

I've got a drum smoker from Pit Barrel. Works with charcoal. Pretty plug and play. Compact for my area. You can hang the meat - i.e. brisket, ribs etc. Or use the rack for a pork butt.

www.pitbarrelcooker.com

Taken a little bit of getting used to to track and get the temps where I want them but putting out some decent BBQ now.

I got a dual, wireless thermometer to help track meat and ambient temp so that I can run around the house w/o having to baby sit it for hours on end.

But once we end up in TX later this summer it's on to a BIGGER smoker!

I like that, a commercial version of the ugly drum smoker.

I have the Ok Joe longhorn

post-6394-1462340928_thumb.jpg

and a masterbilt propane upright that I DO NOT like.. fire goes out all the time.

post-6394-1462341027_thumb.jpg

Edited by WLD-OTZ

This

22" Kettle

Plus this

Smokenator

Are two items that produce great food once you learn how to use them.

If you dont want to spring for the smokenator, stack some bricks inside the kettle, keep charcoal and wood on one side of brick, put food opposite of it where there is no coals and wood. Indirect heat. With practice, its works and makes great meals. Always put vent ovwr food so the heat and smoke flows over food and out the vent.

Practice makes perfect. Most important, maintain temps and have a clean fire.

But then again, what do I know...

Edited by saychz316

This works great with weber kettle for camping and at home. Like everyone says maintain consistent temp and be patient and meat comes out amazing. I mostly use GMG pellet grills at home and have a vertical water smoker as well as the weber with the slow n sear.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/slow_n_sear.html

This

22" Kettle

Plus this

Smokenator

Are two items that produce great food once you learn how to use them.

If you dont want to spring for the smokenator, stack some bricks inside the kettle, keep charcoal and wood on one side of brick, put food opposite of it where there is no coals and wood. Indirect heat. With practice, its works and makes great meals. Always put vent ovwr food so the heat and smoke flows over food and out the vent.

Practice makes perfect. Most important, maintain temps and have a clean fire.

But then again, what do I know...

That thing's pretty cool. I have a built in gas grill with a "built-in" (drop in) Weber next to it. I also have a vertical water smoker but the gas grill sees the bulk of it.

Weber kettle cooking is great way to start, I built a drum smoker using weber lid and grates, it works awesome

20160116_144104_zpsvrvkophj.jpg

20151126_132220_zpsfvrxzm9s.jpg

PART_1435006477181_20150620_081816_zpsa4

PART_1435006473468_20150620_081735_zpsun

PART_1435006489659_20150620_141258_zpsay

2013-02-02_17-27-03_164_zps925ab64d.jpg

Weber kettle cooking is great way to start, I built a drum smoker using weber lid and grates, it works awesome 20160116_144104_zpsvrvkophj.jpg 20151126_132220_zpsfvrxzm9s.jpg PART_1435006477181_20150620_081816_zpsa4 PART_1435006473468_20150620_081735_zpsun PART_1435006489659_20150620_141258_zpsay 2013-02-02_17-27-03_164_zps925ab64d.jpg
Nice job. DON~~~

What about the Masterbuilt 30in Electric Smokehouse? Where I stay in the summer I pay the same for all the electric I need and I could use it at home. DON~~~

post-339-1462352429.jpg

post-9994-1462353298_thumb.jpg

Pitts and Spitts 24x36

I think a lot has to do with meat prep and temp control

I use wood but start with firebox full of coals

I use 5 gal of water in the bottom to make for less temp fluctuations

You can use water pan

I've been to the American Royal to watch and help a team

Was asked to judge also

One of the guys who won multiple years used Weber bullet or upright smokers

Separate for each product, so to control better

I'm no boil and no foil kind of guy