mike dee

Bbq/smoking Thread

I started a long time ago cooking indirect on a 22.5" Weber grill. I have a larger smoker with a fire box on one end and the smoke box on the other, with the chimney at the far end. I like cooking on that one when I have 25+lbs to cook. Just a couple of pics, one of ribs in Big Bear, and the other is a beer can chicken, and a beer can duck at the dunes. Both were gone almost as soon as they were done.

post-36832-1462357358_thumb.jpg

post-36832-1462354002_thumb.jpg

What about the Masterbuilt 30in Electric Smokehouse? Where I stay in the summer I pay the same for all the electric I need and I could use it at home. DON~~~

I use one very similar. Does the job nicely. People might give you shit for using electric though :lol:

Get some strong magnets or plan on making some latches, after awhile, the door gets a little warped.

Gettin warm and pulling out the Weber smoker, as I get more involved to detail with my setup I have a question.

I've always used Kingsford with no complaints. I hear alot about Royal oak and will buy a bag this weekend to try. What charcoal or lump do you use for temperature? ........I didn't relize the variety available

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

What a great thread ! Great now im going to be hooked checking my phone every hour

I built my own Smoker out of food grade 55 gallon drums and some expanded metal using the webber lids and have done some with drum lids for friends . I like to use Lump coal and I personally like mesquite wood chunks. I have done two turkeys in my smoker at once in Glamis and they came out great!! My temps usually run 185-200.. I bought an I grill thermometer that will send me alerts on my phone when my food is ready, I only use it if I have a lot to do when my food is smoking. Some pictures are from the smoker I built for the Fire House.

post-21903-1462364345_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364357_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364372_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364385_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364396_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364408_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364484_thumb.jpg

post-21903-1462364501_thumb.jpg

The "built in" Weber. I smoke with the smoker (not pictured) though.

I used a $32 charbroil upright smoker for years (90% for fish) and recently got a hand me down on a similar but much higher quality smoker.

I always used alder for the fish and kind of experiment with different woods for butts and other stuff. Kinda new to the meat game.

post-27650-1462364503_thumb.jpg

Traeger smokers are my favorite. Digital thermostat, easy to use and hi quality.

I have a Webber and I added a pellet feeder to it. This is the best thing I did!!!!! So consistent, easy and I use my smoker now more than ever. Here's the link!

Smoke Daddy

I have a Webber and I added a pellet feeder to it. This is the best thing I did!!!!! So consistent, easy and I use my smoker now more than ever. Here's the link!

Smoke Daddy

Hey

Thanks for that

I'm gonna build a better pellet grill

We usually give Treagers for wedding gifts to nieces and nephews

But last one was a Camp Chef which is made in USA

Treagers made in China now

Btw, niece used to be vegetarian, not any more

Jon

Please tell us more about these little bacon wrapped jewels.

post-9969-1462405656.jpeg

What about the Masterbuilt 30in Electric Smokehouse? Where I stay in the summer I pay the same for all the electric I need and I could use it at home. DON~~~

Its what I use. Just did a 10lb pork shoulder over the weekend. Did brats and sausage last night. So easy to use. I also have a offset firebox smoker if I have lots of stuff to cook.

I use this for smoke. With the hopper of the MES30 you only get smoke for 45min. This will burn 5-6hrs.

http://www.amazenproducts.com/

This is the temp sensor I use. One on the grate one in the meat.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Remote-...r/dp/B004IMA718

I did this same thing but smoked it for like 3 hrs at 200 it was epic.

sorry video would not embed.

Edited by Fireman

I just realized my life is not as complete as I thought.

homer-simpson-drooling-a.jpg

Edited by CRUSTY

I have a strange feeling I will be loading up the smoker with wood saturday morning.

Cherry and Apple for chicken and ribs (sometimes tri-tip).

Pecan and Oak for large roasts and tri-tip (sometimes shrimp and fish).

I don't use chunks anymore...I use 6-10" logs/pieces now to maintain consistent temps for longer periods.

Chargriller Outlaw with side box.

Edited by The Latin Lover

I just realized my life is not as complete as I thought.

homer-simpson-drooling-a.jpg

I should not of watched that video on a day I will be skipping lunch.

Going to do a couple of pork butts this weekend.I usually use spade l seasoning on them the day before set in fridge.I have a brinkman stand up smoker i use and prefer applewood for the pork gives it a sweet taste.

I added a thermonter to monitor heat inside normally i like 225-250 but that can fluctuate so i try to no let it go lower than 190 or over 275.It takes some time to figure it out but its not that big a deal anymore.Have cooked it the cold with wind and also on warm days if it drops in temp i can shake the charcoal pan to clear out ash it will warm up or add water to the tray to cool it a little.

Like to cook them slow so i will take 6 hours to do a 3 pound butt.At glamis i will do a turkey every year for t day usually just start those at 8 am and eat when its done normally about 4-5pm about a 12 pounder works well been doing 2 at a time the last 3 years now.

Pork butt sale at frys .99 cents pound

Doing a pork butt now.

Me too, pork butt and two whole chickens

Doing a pork butt now.

Me too, pork butt and two whole chickens

:wwp:

http://amazingribs.com/

I tried this at the last minute, used kind ford coal and a few apple chunks, did the crunch method also with some applejuice.

My Weber mountain smoker kept 235 for about four hours with very little adding once I found my temp. I used the minion method

post-63882-1463328577_thumb.jpg