duneatic

06 Silverado Lbz Questions

So I got rid of my pos dodge 5.9 diesel finally. I have been looking for its replacement for a few months now. Finally found it, 06 silverado 3500 dually lbz 6 speed allison 4x4 with 12,827 miles on the odometer. I am flying to cali to pick it up this saturday.

So first off whats a good forum for the truck, i have looked at a few but whats every one use? Doesnt seem like the lbz has many issues, anything i need to look for or do to it? Same with the trans? I have seen online that these truck(07 and older) werent designed for the ultra low sulfur diesel and they will run better with a fuel additive, what has been your experience? Anything else i should know about the truck? It looks like the 06-07 lbz trucks are pretty solid trucks which is why i have been looking for one, i am tired of worrying if my truck will run right or get me to glamis AND home. I want a truck that will tow my trailer and run right so no more dodge lol.

post-3791-1462315067_thumb.jpg

x2 for duramax forum.

1st mods before you do any tuner or crazy stuff. Fingerstick and blocker plate for egr and 4" turbo back with no muffler.

Also if you're interested I have some painted door handles that will fit that truck that are already silver birch. PM me if interested

First thing I would worry about is what kind of shape all the rubber and seals are in with an average of 106 miles per month over the last 10 years the thing has sat most of it's life. It might not be a problem but before I started putting modifications to the truck I would put some miles on it and not just the drive home.

LBZs are great trucks, EGR delete and a exhaust and you will be set for a long time. Fuel additives always a good idea.

From lack of use I would just go over and check all major seals, look for leaks, it would help with price negotiation if you find something.

My last work truck (06 LBZ) had 218,000 on the clock and never skipped a beat.

Good luck with the purchase

the truck will run just fine on ULS fuel with no additive. putting something into the tank besides diesel is just emptying your pockets of extra cash. im sure some will disagree but there isnt anything that will help your fuel system last any longer than the weakest link.

first thing i would do is block the EGR and either get a tune that kills the EGR codes or fingersticks. Next i would go over that whole front end and replace anything that is dried out and sloppy. Add a set of cognito supports to the steering and you will have a steering that will last a long long time (if you keep those stock tires/wheels on it).

being it only has 12k and is 10 years old, i would change all the fluids. That includes the brake fluid (people forget this).

from there, enjoy the truck. kept stock, the trans and engine will outlast you lol. if you want to start turning up the power, you will need a few upgrades.

as for forums, i dont care for dieselplace or duramaxforum but for you just starting out, there is good info to be had on either one.

I will check out those forums thanks. I have been on dmaxx forums but not diesel place.

I dont really plan on doing any performance mods, i am looking to have a highly reliable truck that i can count on running for years to come. With that said it is hard for me to leave anything stock so eventually i will do exhaust at least. Want to stay away from tunes for awhile and just enjoy a truck that runs!

I have heard the truck can have front end problems, so i do plan on leveling the truck at least and i was planning on doing the whole front end kit on dmaxstore and do the control arm level kit, not just the keys. That will be a ways away though. It will remain stock for quite some time until i build up some cash again. First on the list of upgrades will be ther stereo because well i love music.

I do plan on taking it to my buddy at his shop and see how much it will be to go over everything, check/change ALL fluids and check all rubber. That will be first and as soon as possible.

Thanks for all the advise and i cant wait to get it, after my last pos dodge i am ready for a great reliable truck that i dont have to literally worry about blowing up while towing my rig.

06/07 are the best years. If you want to do the finger stick I have a brand new one I never installed. It's yours if you want it. I like the duramaxforum.com. I've learned a ton of stuff on that site. The DIY section is my favorite.

Youll want to do the pump rub fix on it

I'd recommend blocking the egr system, upgrading the exhaust, and using only factory filters.

Thank you for the offer lrs. I dont know what the finger stick is, i will look it up. And ya i have heard these are by far the best years which is why i was looking for just those two years.

Do the PCV reroute, simple and effective. Cut the cat off and hollow it out, weld it back on, ditch the muffler and run straight pipe from the turbo back, if you're into a hearing the turbo spool down on deceleration.

My 01 has 330k on it. You bought yourself a great truck.

That being said, leave it stock, Bone freaking stock. Don't level it or anything.

If you absolutely can't stop yourself do an intake & exhaust. Drive it for a while, if the egr gives you issues then consider doing the delete.

These are great trucks and if you leave them alone they will run for a very long time.

No reason to do an intake on these trucks. Stock flows just as good if not better than aftermarket and filters better too.

I just traded from an lbz. I would run stock intake and filter. Add a finger stick, blocker plate. Straight pipe, add an edge evolution and egt probe. Set it on number 2, and drive it. Number 2 is the tow tune iirc, truck will have tons of power, and you should get better mileage when you open up the exhaust. In mine there was 4mpg difference from stock exhaust to straight pipe with no cat. I swapped the exhaust from factory to straight pipe a couple of times, so I knew what the mpg difference was.

I just traded from an lbz. I would run stock intake and filter. Add a finger stick, blocker plate. Straight pipe, add an edge evolution and egt probe. Set it on number 2, and drive it. Number 2 is the tow tune iirc, truck will have tons of power, and you should get better mileage when you open up the exhaust. In mine there was 4mpg difference from stock exhaust to straight pipe with no cat. I swapped the exhaust from factory to straight pipe a couple of times, so I knew what the mpg difference was.

He is going to have to do the snap test yearly as well as the visual you start blocking and bypassing and they catch it...........

He is going to have to do the snap test yearly as well as the visual you start blocking and bypassing and they catch it...........

its az, throw a blocker plate between the EGR riser off the up pipe and the egr cooler, gut the cat and off you go. i have yet to see someone get dinged for a blocker plate. the boys at the stations aint that smart to be able to tell.

or hell, register it to someones property outside of maricopa county or pima county and no worries

The snap test is stupid. I pass it every year with mine set to "KILL". ;)

+1 on dieselplace.com

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63-gm-die...2007-5-lbz-lly/

Get a CarFax for that truck, 12k miles on an 06 is suspect.

I am not worried about the snap test, my dodge 5.9 made it through with a dead cylinder and still past with flying colors. Sootin the inspector out some lol, tune was on 3 of 5 also.

I was thinking about gutting the cat doing a pretty much straight pipe out, maybe gut the muffler too? Then if i do the egr block off also would it run good stock or will it require a tune? I really want to stay away from tunes for awhile. I do plan on getting the edge cts 2 like i had in my dodge, i want to know whats going on and i loved my cts 1 and 2.

And i wish i knee some one well enough to register it out of county, would love to do that with my 77 chevy k10 also!

I am not worried about the snap test, my dodge 5.9 made it through with a dead cylinder and still past with flying colors. Sootin the inspector out some lol, tune was on 3 of 5 also.

I was thinking about gutting the cat doing a pretty much straight pipe out, maybe gut the muffler too? Then if i do the egr block off also would it run good stock or will it require a tune? I really want to stay away from tunes for awhile. I do plan on getting the edge cts 2 like i had in my dodge, i want to know whats going on and i loved my cts 1 and 2.

And i wish i knee some one well enough to register it out of county, would love to do that with my 77 chevy k10 also!

You don't need to gut the muffler, unless having one is part of the inspection in AZ? I took mine off and have had it smogged in California 5 times by three different shops and they've never said anything about the missing muffler. It sounds wayyyy better with the straight pipe. Not obnoxiously loud either.

I had a PPE tuner for a long time. I love my Edge CTS with the EGT probe, even though the EGT quit working the other day. Not sure what that's about. The probe isn't even a year old.

I have an 04 lly, went the exhaust/Edge cts route and was pretty happy for a couple years until I stated pulling a 40ft fiver on the regular. It did ok but I didn't like the edge tow tune and the stock tube leaves some to be desired. Finally pulled the trigger on a dsp5 efi live tunes setup and it's WAY better. I went with Idaho rob tuning, told him what I was looking for and he spent some time doing small tweaks to make it exactly how I wanted. I wish I would have done it years ago. It's an animal.. I drive it easy and it just cruises.

If I were to pick up an LBZ, I'd add a lift pump, custom tunes by a reputable tuner, exhaust, air bags and call it done. You'll love it.

Good luck in your search, I looked for the perfect lbz for long time with cash in hand and never found it. I personally couldn't pay what everyone was asking for their 7 year old truck!

Don't do a leveling kit. Truck will ride like chit, do a small lift if you want it level and it will ride better than stock.