John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Outfront's Gen 5 Funco Ready For Summer Rebuild

Just brought my car into the shop for a 4/5 month redo of my Funco Gen 5. As you know this car is a work in progress, It started life as a

typical Gen 6 four seater. Mendeola Sequential 5 speed. Two years ago I cut the back upper part off to make it a two seater and to move

tons of weight forward. I added a hollow sway bar. Turbo moved to on top of the tranny, there is zero intercooling piping with the turbo

mounting directly to the intercooler and the intercooler directly to the intake. Subaru EZ30 3 liter at 750HP on high boost.

Here is a list of the current upgrades as the car sits now:

sway bar

25Gallon fuel tank on E85

radiator is 19x36 twin 16 paddle blade fans, radiator mounted on the floor rails for lowest CG

turbo and intercooler moved over the tranny for more weight forward

fuel tank mounted behind seats, more weight forward

3.0 quad bypass in the rear, 3.0 dual bypass in the front, King race

7/8 upper heim at hub assemblies

12x24 intercooler with twin HD 12" fans, air temp controlled

reinforced rear arms, 935 cvs

Douglas bead locks, billet center 15", fronts with reinforcing ring

frame has been reinforced in critical areas when built as I have cracked my previous one in 7 places

front rack mounting tube had to go .188 wall as .125 even cracked before

wheel base stayed the same at 122" but car looks short because the rear cage was shortened by 8"

custom light bar mount

functional side air scoops

rear hubs have four lower bolts upsized to 3/8 bolts (for big jumps)

small 6 piston calipers in rear

chromoly beard seat frames with rear upper tabs

race tech seat belts

hargett two handle shifter (forward for upshift)

twin new Outfront fold down whip mounts

7 X 18 R2C oiless air filter

lower radiator line goes through the frame

lots of rear cage bracing, semi X

post-1619-1463051274_thumb.jpg

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

upgrade list:

new super bright fluro green like always

auto air ride suspension with 4 gallon tank

possible Grey area rear hubs and brakes

1" lower front heims

reinforcement rings on rear rims

new rear tires to start off the season right

rebuild tranny (2seasons old, the longest I have had a tranny last)

couple more bars in the front end, have two new cracks on an already reinforced area

1 or 2 custom made camera mounts (active)

radio (finally)

intercooler scoop and valance

motor to be freshened up, maybe an experimental 3.5 liter if time permits

This list will be added upon im sure

post-1619-1463053571_thumb.jpg

This tube attaches right above the front strut tower. it normally is a 1" bar this is 1.25 and is developing a crack, it will get two bars there now

post-1619-1463053590_thumb.jpg

This is two of my Larger trapezoid intercoolers welded together. note zero intercooler piping on either side

post-1619-1463053611_thumb.jpg

EZ30 flat six 600hp at 11psi, 750 @18 psi, e85, super short, motor is only 17" long and the CG is more "below" the crank than above

Can't wait to see it in new clothing. Been way too long

post-1619-1463054015_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1463054033_thumb.jpg

a couple shots of the large radiator on the floor of the car and the large inside mounted air filter, helps with the sand exposure

post-1619-1463054051_thumb.jpg

custom Rear sway bar, because I run no rear seat my sway bar links can be more upright than what Funco does on their cars

custom stainless headers

reinforced rear arms (extra plate added near the sway bar)

note the new frame bar just behind the CV joints, this really stiffens my rear end, goes up and intersects with 5 bars

Can't wait to see the finished product

post-1619-1463054681_thumb.jpg

lower water line runs through the frame, just cleans up the piping

post-1619-1463054701_thumb.jpg

I have a long bolt and spacer now, but will weld the spacer direct so there is no threads at the shear point. planning on doing a beefier 1"

lower heim as I have sheared off both heims at the same time on something I still could have driven out of. No I don't think this is now going to

break something else.

post-1619-1463054721_thumb.jpg

dual masters on the brake system is a must, note the extra gas pedal sensor for future DBWire (cableless) throttle

Did you abandon the GTR engine?

You mean this one? no its for my 2005 SU car, I know others have asked but to be honest I am too busy with the shop and work has not

slowed down, its a great problem to have but it has caused me to not progress on my own cars. that's why im getting a head start on my own

car this year.

I think about it and walk by it daily :nag: Funco First, then I will have time :sraptor:

This would be a HP wars contender, but just too many irons in the fire. Its mated to a S4D

post-1619-1463057925_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1463057939_thumb.jpg

You mean this one? no its for my 2005 SU car, I know others have asked but to be honest I am too busy with the shop and work has not

slowed down, its a great problem to have but it has caused me to not progress on my own cars. that's why im getting a head start on my own

car this year.

I think about it and walk by it daily :nag: Funco First, then I will have time :sraptor:

This would be a HP wars contender, but just too many irons in the fire. Its mated to a S4D

post-1619-1463057925_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1463057939_thumb.jpg

Good to hear you haven't abandoned this project. I also have an SU Sand Pro 2 mid and have been looking forward to seeing this car completed.

I love these threads!! Cant wait to see it all done!! I really like the Idea of the Upper seat mount!

DAM, Great Job on the Funco.

I noticed the air pumpers for your helmets how do you like them, and which ones are you using

It's got nothing to do with the way you drive it, does it?

post-29702-1463063108.jpg

Whoever did it...that is a bad weld. DON'T NEED TO GET INTO THEORY...they wondered with the stinger.

They just didn't get base material on both parts. It's not cracked on the other edge of the weld that is deeper.

I love the attention to detail in your cars and going against the norm or standard that is seen on the other relatively cookie cutter cars out there. I'm still building my car, but I use your ideas and theory as inspiration for my build. Keep up the innovation and good work. And photos of course also!

I love these threads!! Cant wait to see it all done!! I really like the Idea of the Upper seat mount!

With heavy g loads i have destroyed the frames of two seats before beyond any repair. you can get this done even on a mild steel frame, it was a while ago but i popped for chromoly and the tabs

DAM, Great Job on the Funco.

I noticed the air pumpers for your helmets how do you like them, and which ones are you using

I dont remember, i bought it from Mckenzies, i Have not used it yet as i dont have a helmet for it. i usually lead but thought that if i dont, i want to still be right on the next guys tail

Hmmmm?

Whoever did it...that is a bad weld. DON'T NEED TO GET INTO THEORY...they wondered with the stinger.

They just didn't get base material on both parts. It's not cracked on the other edge of the weld that is deeper.

This tube area has cracked on three funcos i have had, the first only had a 1" bar, after that cracked, they removed it and put two bars like a peace sign. we called it the out back bars. they never cracked

them on the gen six this would have been a 1" bar, but we upped the size. It could be a little underbraced, that was a Funco weld. it will be getting two bars there regardless. note that my shock tabs were increased to 1/4 plate

by request because i tore the 3/16 tab off. in a previous gen 4

I love the attention to detail in your cars and going against the norm or standard that is seen on the other relatively cookie cutter cars out there. I'm still building my car, but I use your ideas and theory as inspiration for my build. Keep up the innovation and good work. And photos of course also!

real world testing, i break it then make it better, tons more photos coming

This tube area has cracked on three funcos i have had, the first only had a 1" bar, after that cracked, they removed it and put two bars like a peace sign. we called it the out back bars. they never cracked

them on the gen six this would have been a 1" bar, but we upped the size. It could be a little underbraced, that was a Funco weld. it will be getting two bars there regardless. note that my shock tabs were increased to 1/4 plate

by request because i tore the 3/16 tab off. in a previous gen 4

It may be an area that needs attention, but THAT particular weld missed the mark..

Shit, you can almost see the lip from the left overs from it being coped...

Edited by Kraut_n_Rice

Going to be a good thread to watch, cant wait to see the Funco all fancied up. Keep the pictures coming.

2059 lbs with 10 gallons of left over fuel, with a S5, 934, sway bars and an itsy bitsy Subaru motor :sraptor:

the weight right to left is incredible even. front to rear looks like a mid engine but Im a rear engine. This weight distribution is "only"

possible with a Subaru motor. Jumps like a dream

power to weight=.364

post-1619-1463130545_thumb.jpg

Righteous

Kraut n Rice, what is your opinion on the other side of the car? it also cracked in the same place, contrary to your last post, this crack is on the deeper

side of the weld & no wondering stinger.........?

post-1619-1463135429_thumb.jpg

post-1619-1463135447_thumb.jpg

any time the radiator is not the highest water in the cooling system and if the upper neck is not at the top of the tank it could trap air, thus

the need for the bleed tube. this hose goes up to an expansion tank above both the engine, radiator and upper water line

this radiator sits on the floor of my car, with water this is 50 more pounds lowered to as low as it can go---say limbo :sandtrap:

post-1619-1463135462_thumb.jpg

Brandon, one more close up

post-1619-1463137129_thumb.jpg

this is the lower water line through the frame. the 90deg was both made from .120 wall 4340, then I spliced a short piece of thinner material

(chromed) with a nice bead. Why? just too busy down there with the sequential and a water line that comes from the already low Subaru motor

post-1619-1463137187_thumb.jpg

This is the 3 lb, 4 gallon tank for the auto air ride suspension, running out of room and because its so light I might weld a few tabs on the fuel tank

post-1619-1463137309_thumb.jpg

It may be an area that needs attention, but THAT particular weld missed the mark..

:)

:)

I agree, it will get an additional 4" bar in the area