Brandon Long

Looking For A Garage Lift.

I am looking for a lift for my garage.

Looking to be able to raise a vehicle up for maintenance and looking to be able to lift a flatbed above a car or a car above a flatbed for storage purposes as well.

Questions:

1) What are the good brands, or brands to stay away from?

2) Do you use 110v or 220v?

3) Did you reinforce your floor or just bolt it down? Not sure if the standard garage slab is sufficient?

Any help would be appreciated and of course if your a GD member and this is your business please let me know so I keep the biz on the board.

I have a four post lift in my garage. Not sure of brand but looks similar to EAGLE lifts. Mine is 9000 lb. capacity.

Uses 110 volts.

Mine is moveable and not bolted to floor. Standard slab thickness. Has the 4 wheeled adapters that allow it to be moved. Also got the scissor jack slider to raise vehicles.

Only negative is not very good for tire rotations.

Got it delivered and installed from somewhere in Temecula. These are very heavy. Took 2 or 3 guys about 3-4 hours to install.

BendPak is what I had in my last shop. You can get 2 or 4 post for about $3k. I had mine on a 4" slab and had now issues. I think you can get the 4 post with casters as well to roll around and 110v. If you watch car shows on tv, you will see them in use for storage often.

I will buy them again when I get my new shop done but will probably buy the 2 post models. Not as easy to park a car on, but if you are going to work on them too it is much easier. Besides, once you put a car on it to store it, you don't have the front posts taking up space in the shop.

I have owned a few different types.

I went In ground two post this time at my CA house

I like being able to drive over and around it - no posts in the way - prices are more but worth it I have a Rotary - best IMO

I also liked my 4 Post lift for extra storage - but its not super easy to work around

I liked my Bend Pak. Some people have issues with Direct and others that are imports and have chains..

I was thinking about getting one awhile back and found a bunch of different types as well as a bunch of info on Summit racings site.

Pretty happy with my Harbor Frieght lift. Actually have a car in my shop sitting on it right now. It's about 6" when fully collapsed and raises up to 48". I think it's max weight is only 4k lbs but that's plenty for the off road cars I work on.

post-19978-1469725464_thumb.jpg

If your lift interferes with the garage door. I can (if their is room) install tracks that move the

Door over the car on the lift. But you may have tons of room and no need for that.

Edited by Sand tourS

Just be careful with post tension slabs,

This is pretty much the same lift I have-

Harbor Freight scissor lift

This one looks to have been upgraded to a 220v motor and has a 6k rating. 7" minimum height and a 57" maximum. I'd love to get two of these for our teams race shop and get rid of the 2 post lift we have that NEVER gets used.

This is pretty much the same lift I have-

Harbor Freight scissor lift

This one looks to have been upgraded to a 220v motor and has a 6k rating. 7" minimum height and a 57" maximum. I'd love to get two of these for our teams race shop and get rid of the 2 post lift we have that NEVER gets used.

I think he wants to be able to park under it as well.

Yes, thank you guys for all the info.

Yes my goal is to be able to park a car or stack so to speak.

Sounds like I don't have to worry about slab reinforcement.

I guess the question is 4 post or 2 post. 2 post would be nice for more space from what I'm thinking

but I am thinking a 4 post where the wheels are on track may be safer.

The lift with wheels is a great idea.

My garage is deep enough where I could mount the lift in the back, but I'm interested to learn about how I could move my door track.

More clearance in the front would allow me to place it in the middle.

I have a complete 2 post ROTARY 9K lift for sale, $1600.00 firm if anyone is interested Im on Ontario Ca (909) 717-1763 Pete

If you are going to do anything other than oil change type maintenance get the 2 post lift but that might require some extra concrete under the legs. The 4 post lift kind of sucks if you are changing tires and doing suspension or brake work. The posts always got in my way and having to work over the parking deck can be tough.

If you just want to do under car maintenance like oil changes and the like and use it mostly for above and below parking, the 4 post would be best. True the 4 posts take up more room, but there is a trade off.

Just my experience from having and working around both. Like I posted before, I will be buying 2 post lifts for my shop.

I have a complete 2 post ROTARY 9K lift for sale, $1600.00 firm if anyone is interested Im on Ontario Ca (909) 717-1763 Pete

Can you send me a picture and details? Year, make etc?

If you are going to do anything other than oil change type maintenance get the 2 post lift but that might require some extra concrete under the legs. The 4 post lift kind of sucks if you are changing tires and doing suspension or brake work. The posts always got in my way and having to work over the parking deck can be tough.

If you just want to do under car maintenance like oil changes and the like and use it mostly for above and below parking, the 4 post would be best. True the 4 posts take up more room, but there is a trade off.

Just my experience from having and working around both. Like I posted before, I will be buying 2 post lifts for my shop.

I'm thinking 4 post but I am not 100% sure. Main goal is lifting, storage/parking. I think I could probably still use a floor jack for tires etc.

Sure, I will be home around 5 today. Text me your number when you get a chance. Thanks!

Sure, I will be home around 5 today. Text me your number when you get a chance. Thanks!

Thank you. My # is 619-990-3179

If your lift interferes with the garage door. I can (if their is room) install tracks that move the

Door over the car on the lift. But you may have tons of room and no need for that.

Pics and measurements of the end of the upper track to ceiling and I'll give you opinions.

I have a Bendpak 2 post lift 220v, and a Danmar 4 post lift, 110V.

I bought both of them from Garage Equipment (geusa.com)

Have been happy with both.

I use the Danmar 4 post to stack 2 cars. I don't have it bolted to the floor, which has been fine so far. With the car on it, i can lower down and put the wheel kit on it and roll the lift and the car out of my shop if I need to. That is a nice feature. It also came with drip trays to enclose the floor so that stuff won't drip on the bottom car. Also, I got the extra wide version, which I would get if you have the space. Makes it easier to park under. It was under $3K delivered, and me and my buddy put it together in a few hours (i do have a forklift, so that made it much easier).

The Bendpak 2 post gets the most use. Very solid, professional grade lift. I ordered it with the low profile arms which make it easy to get under really low cars. I have had my 3/4 ton duramax crew cab on it many times, and it works fine. I had a 10" slab poured to be sure it would be strong enough, but I think they say a 6" pad is enough for a 2 post. I paid ~$3K for that as well, but I bought at a booth at a GP race, and they gave me free delivery and free installation.

Hope that helps.

Edited by SM6666

A 2 post AND a 4 post . That is the way to do it. Each one has different abilities for any job needed.

I have 2/ 4 post rotary lifts. No issues for over 11 years.

post-9452-1469859033_thumb.jpg

we are getting ready to sell 2 , 7k 4post bendpac's

post-4329-1469894004_thumb.jpg