Punchdrunk Monkey

How To Keep Rats From Living Under My Motorhome?

I get rats living under the hood of my motorhome and I can't get rid of them!! I just pulled a huge nest off the top of my motor and now 3 days later they are building another one. I leave the hood open, I have a bag of rat-be-gone stink bait (or something like that), I set traps and they knock them over and I put out poison but then they die under the motorhome. I know the answer is to get rid of the rats but they just keep coming back.

I looked on line at a noise maker thingy that is supposed to keep them away but I wonder if that would mess with my dogs??

Install cat? Really I'm no help here. :hello:

A good stray cat would solve that quickly.

get some snakes

What is their nearby food source?

Is the dog bowl full of dog chow near by?

They are only sticking around because there is something they eat very close by.

Do the peanut butter on the spinning coke bottle over a bucket trick to catch them :lol:

First you have to get them out of the motorhome. Move it out to the street and clean out everything get them out of the coach. Then when you put it back make sure there is no way for them to get back on the coach besides at the wheels ( No trees touching, Roof eve not six inches away). Then place sticky traps on both sides of the wheels so they will get trapped if they try and get back on the coach.

The big thing is to make sure they can't get back into the coach by tree or roof even a fence . If you can't clear the area around the coach to keep them off you might have to get creative to keep them off the coach.

I have 2 dogs. The cat isn't an option. I have thought about building a owl house, we do have barn owls around. I just bought a "rid-a-rat" electronic device.

A good stray cat would solve that quickly.

This... We had a couple rats move in. I got one of them with a trap after repeated misses. Sucker managed to eat the peanut butter off the trap without tripping it, or tripped it and then ate the peanut butter. The second one was even smarter. Borrowed the neighbors cat and the rat self deported. Pretty sure the cat never caught it, but I did see him chase it a couple times and now there is no sign of the rat.

They don't get in the coach (fortunately) just the motor compartment. The food source is a hay store that is next door. So I'm kind of screwed. I can't get rid of them, just trying to control them. I use peanut butter on trap. I put them on the top rail of my fence (where I see them running) and they just jump over the trap.

also we have coyotes everywhere so a cat wouldn't have a chance at night. I would just be feeding the coyotes.

They don't get in the coach (fortunately) just the motor compartment. The food source is a hay store that is next door. So I'm kind of screwed. I can't get rid of them, just trying to control them. I use peanut butter on trap. I put them on the top rail of my fence (where I see them running) and they just jump over the trap.

How about a long line of glue traps that they could not clear? BB gun and night vision? Rats are pretty smart, and sounds like you have a never ending supply next door. Not a good scenario for sure.

Sticky traps under the coach, Heavy gauge hardware cloth on the top fence rail to keep them from using the Rat Highway.

In my area we have roof rats, They live on the citrus trees that people have in there back yard, They will nest just about anyplace they can. They will go from trees to the block wall then travel the block wall from one house to the next to the next. Was driving my dogs crazy having these things running on the top of the wall. So I put a piece of heavy gauge hardware cloth on the top of the fence about 8-10"tall and it extends about 2" on either side as well as hanging down below the top of the wall about 2".

They no longer can travel across my back wall, dogs don't bark in the middle of the night and the lady behind me no longer has them eating her citrus.

I did all of the above over the coarse of a month

Got the rat bastards in 2 days with this

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Electronic-Ra...tronic+rat+trap

Patients, good position and .22 bird shot. One of the funniest things you have seen. When you shoot them with bird shot they just freeze in that spot dead.

I could rent you this guy, he's getting a little older but still kills everything that remotely looks like a pest, although he would be a little hard on the local cats and he likes to have his own pool.

post-11460-1472691533_thumb.jpg

post-11460-1472691893_thumb.jpg

just ordered one thanks.

Hey, this is my first order from Funco!!

Move out of the city

Your local hardware store has predator pee soaked sand. Sprinkle around your rig. It works

Edited by sausage450r

just ordered one thanks.

Hey, this is my first order from Funco!!

I picked up a new one at a garage sale and it does work I catch rats and mice in the garage regularly with that trap BUT the fact that you lube it up with peanut butter I hope I am not attracting mice that would not be there without the attractant.

I also picked up a little electrocution one but it has neve caught anything

I bought a Ratinator, which is similar to the one on Amazon except it comes with a bin you can fill with water to drown them. Works well for the squirrels too. Luckily, no rats here.

We have field mice here (too small for rat traps), this works great for that:

bucket-mouse-trap.jpg

Not my picture, but similar results.

try moth balls in an open container they hate the smell we use them in the attic never seen one since...

Edited by hotrod1934

Flashing Lights they hate them just hook a bright flashy light under the hood.

They get IN my RV. Rat Zapper's are best, I have 4 throughout my 40 ft. coach. I don't use peanut butter just some dry dog food at the back of the trap and it stays cleaner. Be sure to check at least once a week because they decompose on the zap pad and it's a pita to clean.

Flashing Lights they hate them just hook a bright flashy light under the hood.

This...

Battery operated motion light. Tons on amazon for cheap.

put a drop light under it at night.... it works great..

Also use a product like Urine be gone or a urine enzyme and clean the motor and undercarriage.. Need to take away their odor as it attracts new ones

I work a College in the Auto department and we have a lot of cars sitting around. We use moth balls in a cup under the hood. Seems to be effective. But definitely the electronic trap to catch them. I was just like Grant. I spent a month trying all the old stuff then bought the electronic one and caught him the next day