Punchdrunk Monkey

How To Keep Rats From Living Under My Motorhome?

5 minutes ago, Sand Diva said:

So funny this thread was brought back up.  Over the weekend while in Glamis I got a mouse in my trailer.  I know it came in on Saturday at some point.  On Sunday I went into the drawer where my dog's food was and there was droppings and the mouse had ate through the zip lock bag of dog food.  

I cleaned everything up and put mothballs in the trailer.  I sure hope that little sh!t left and doesn't come back.

He might of been in there then.  The only mice you see in the dunes are the Kangaroo Rats and I don't see one of them getting in to a trailer for food or shelter.

1 minute ago, MWB said:

He might of been in there then.  The only mice you see in the dunes are the Kangaroo Rats and I don't see one of them getting in to a trailer for food or shelter.

Well...  The food was in there from a previous trip and there was no signs of a mouse until Sunday AM :dunno: 

Maybe someone brought mice to camp on Saturday LoL

1 hour ago, Sand Diva said:

Well...  The food was in there from a previous trip and there was no signs of a mouse until Sunday AM :dunno: 

Mrs Izzy didn't go completely nuts ? I know Hannah would tear apart my trailer trying to find a lizard not sure what she would do if a Mouse was inside it. 

I always hire an exterminator........

4 hours ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

I started this topic and I bought EVERYTHING I could and everything people said "works every time". None of them worked to totally get rid of them. I was catching up to 10-15 rats a week. Then it would stop for a while, a couple months later the next wave would hit. Finally I gave in and contacted "Love your feral felines" and bought (yes bought) two feral cats. I have have two dogs so I didn't think the cat thing would work but it did. The whole process is a bit of a hassle. If anyone told me they when through want I did to make sure the cats stayed around, I would of laughed at them and said "no way I'm doing that". But I will tell you, I had to train the cats for 4 weeks....then let them loose. one cat I never saw again, the other cat stays around. Sometimes I see it once a day sometimes not for a month. But I put our food every few days and it's gone the next day. The best part......I have not seen a rat in a year! I really do not like cats. But this cat is the best thing I've bought! I don't see it, don't pick up its crap and it works for food. It's one effed up looking cat too. all black with Albert Einstien hair and mean as Fu*k. It has survived the coyotes for a year. If someday this one doesn't come back, I will spend another $40 for another cat. Plus I am saving a feral cat :)

So anyone who has rats and thinks they can't get a cat....you can and they work. I had spent $1000's on trying o kill them. and $1000's on repairs from crap they ate. on $40 cat problem solved. 

We did this as well, third time’s a charm. First 2 stuck around but the coyotes got them. Second set bolted and never saw them again. Last one we got from a fellow Jamuligan (figures if the mom survived here...) as a kitten and raised as an outdoor only cat and has been great. She just chews on them, but I find a couple here and there all the time, and haven’t seen a single varmint other than rabbits. Rats, mice, squirrels, all major problems and haven’t seen a turd since we let her out. Her two favorite hangouts are under the motorhome and in the shed where we keep our quads, bonus.

Black or dark striped cats with ZERO white on them definitely work the best. Only color cat that seems to survive out here. 

Edited by Rockwood

16 hours ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Mouse Hunters Episode 1

Went and checked on the traps after work today. Electrocution trap had nothing, snap trap behind passenger seat, inside kitchen sink cabinet, master bathroom had nothing. It appears it was able to completely lick the snap trap behind the drivers seat clean without tripping the bar. Also, the glue trap that was placed alongside the master bed was flipped over. I assume it rounded the corner, caught a small piece of that glue trap but was able to get free. 

I rebaited the snap trap behind the drivers seat using the cotton ball method Stugots suggested and repositioned the electric trap to where I think it is running. I’ll check again after work tomorrow. 

These things are nocturnal right? So where is it sleeping during the day? Is it sleeping in the coach or finding someplace else to be? I’m pulling it out on Tuesday to bring it home to load. Not sure I want to bring whatever is living in it around my house. 

Most snap traps are not sensitive enough when you buy them.  If they have the metal latch plate, it needs to be bent up almost straight to where you have a "hair trigger".  Some of mine are so sensitive you have a hard time setting them, but they always catch something.  

3 hours ago, budlight69 said:

Most snap traps are not sensitive enough when you buy them.  If they have the metal latch plate, it needs to be bent up almost straight to where you have a "hair trigger".  Some of mine are so sensitive you have a hard time setting them, but they always catch something.  

Agreed, they take some tweaking and can be tricky to place. Also, I soak mine after use (to remove the blood and previous smells) and use gloves to handle before setting so there's no human scent. But be careful setting them outside as other animals can get into them too.

Regarding using "flour to mark trails", field varmints are attracted to flour so, if you don't have them it may just bring them in. Use lime or chalk for footprints. 

While in Tahiti, I saw 24" of sheet metal on each palmtree and was told by local farmer that they can't climb on smooth metal. So, a 24" high perimeter sheetmetal fence should work from the ground access.

I have found that they are looking for shelter close to the food source. First eliminate the food source (we clean out our motorhome after each trip as its stored outside at our house--especially dogfood, grains, seeds, nuts, etc.) and then address easy access points.

My previous employer embraced the wild cat aspect and no rats...only had to thin out the cat population every 6 months. trading one for the other I guess. lol

Mouse Hunters turned Rat Hunters Episode  2

Gotcha bitch!

Stopped by the motorhome on my way home from work to check the traps. The same one that was licked clean and was rebaited with  cotton ball/peanut butter got one! All other traps were in the same condition as before. Not sure he’s the only one so I cleaned up all the evidence/droppings, reset the traps and will check back the next couple of days. If no other evidence by Wednesday/Thursday, I’m confident he was the only one. 

7EDB9AA4-F261-444F-AEB0-A1856A6EA79B.thumb.jpeg.b03cf97a8248ec48b81df298c2317bc4.jpeg

Edited by WaPaWeKkA

Cotton ball for the win!!!

11 hours ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

Gotcha bitch!

Stopped by the motorhome on my way home from work to check the traps. The same one that was licked clean and was rebaited with  cotton ball/peanut butter got one! All other traps were in the same condition as before. Not sure he’s the only one so I cleaned up all the evidence/droppings, reset the traps and will check back the next couple of days. If no other evidence by Wednesday/Thursday, I’m confident he was the only one. 

7EDB9AA4-F261-444F-AEB0-A1856A6EA79B.thumb.jpeg.b03cf97a8248ec48b81df298c2317bc4.jpeg

Hang the trap up (just like it is in the pic) for the others to see!

On 1/26/2019 at 9:02 PM, Stugots said:

Trap tip:

Coat a cotton ball with the peanut butter, when they eat it their teeth will snag the cotton and trip the trap.

Also, the first time or 2, do not set the trap so they get used to the easy feeding.  Then the next time WHAM!

I had one in my garage once, wiley lil bugger, and chewed a few holes in the mastercraft seats in my jeep. 

Peanutbutter didn't do the trick, but we noticed he chewed a hole in the dogfood bag, so I put  apiece of dogfood in the PB on the trap, first day and BAM!, got him! 

We got mice in  our house once, but between the cat, and the ones that somehow found their way into the heating ducts, but not the way out, we finally got rid of them. No traps ever caught any of them. 

Rat Hunters Episode 3

Didn't get a chance to check it yesterday. Went after work today and no visible signs of any other rodents. Pulled the motorhome out to get ready to leave tomorrow. I left the traps just in case but I think I won this round. 

On 1/28/2019 at 8:26 PM, WaPaWeKkA said:

Gotcha bitch!