Dune Doc

Mendeola 2d Drain Plug

I'm assuming the drain plug on my 2d is the large plug down low on the tranny that faces the engine. It looks like a large Allen wrench would fit it. A very large Allen wrench. Is this indeed the drain plug and is there a special tool for removing it? Thanks for your input.

Yes it's a large Allen plug. I don't know what size Allen it is but I used a bolt that the head fit in the plug put 2 nuts on it backed right out and tightened it up.

Yes it's a large Allen plug. I don't know what size Allen it is but I used a bolt that the head fit in the plug put 2 nuts on it backed right out and tightened it up.

Great idea! Thanks!

Or a 17 mm Allen

post-53179-1476112665_thumb.jpg

I use the same method only I welded mine into an extra socket.

17mm Allen. Should be the same size as most vw trailing arm bolts.

I was able to buy one at the local auto parts store. Be careful if you use a nut welded to a socket. I did that and since the nut was kind of rounded, it wallowed out the drain plug and was a real pain to get out. It was then I decided to buy an actual tool!

I just cut a section of a 17 mm Allen wrench off and use it with a 17 mm socket.

I have the 17mm socket for the drain plug, but it is too long to use when you have it on a ratchet. I welded a 17mm nut to a short bolt and that worked better. I actually used a nut that was a little bigger and ground the sides down until it fit snuggly without getting stuck, it doesn't round out the drain plug at all. With some thread sealing compound on the drain plug it doesn't need to be much more than snug.

Snappy actually makes a purpose built tool for this

post-96298-1476284089.jpg

Or $5.58 free shipping

post-12851-1476285141_thumb.png

Can anyone tell me where the fill plug is on an MD4?  I see a bolt on the left side of the trans just in front of the CV cup, but something tells me that's not the fill plug.  

I haven't crawled around under there yet, so it may be glaringly obvious, but I'm old and fat, so I'm trying to take the easy way out LOL. 

On one side of the trans, about midway up, you'll see a brass bolt that's partially screwed in. That's not it.     :lol:    That's your ring gear backing bolt.

The bolt on the other side that's screwed in all of the way, that's your fill bolt. Unscrew that. start pouring in gear oil, and around 4 qts later, it will start dripping out of the hole. Snug the bolt back up.

Awesome, thanks!

1 hour ago, socaldmax said:

On one side of the trans, about midway up, you'll see a brass bolt that's partially screwed in. That's not it.     :lol:    That's your ring gear backing bolt.

The bolt on the other side that's screwed in all of the way, that's your fill bolt. Unscrew that. start pouring in gear oil, and around 4 qts later, it will start dripping out of the hole. Snug the bolt back up.

You're hired. Got plenty of e-mails that you can answer for me. 😄

What about the big plug in the top or is that just with the DECO cases?

Only the newer cases and DECO cases have the plug on top to make oil fill easier.  Still use the plug on the passenger side of the trans next to the CV joint for fill level. All other cases will need to fill oil through this plug as well.