dbart

Generator Question, Honda Eu2000i

My buddy has one of these Generators and wants to sell it to me.

He's just not sure how much?

I'm trying to find out the hours on it.

I thought I'd get some experts here on they they think a fair price would be.

Year bought, 2001

post-12337-1476247114_thumb.png

6-700 is a great used price, especially if it has the rv style plug on it

Damn good little genny. As long as the muffler is still good, it is quiet.

Change the oil after use and keep the filter clean.

I have had mine for 6 years and it runs just about everything, especially when the kids were around. (TV, coach lights, heater, etc).

Now when the wife was around the 6.5 had to be fired up!!!

Well, it's 15 years old so I think we need a pic but I think if in good condition, given its age, $500 bucks if he's a "buddy"

That being said, if I was you, I'd buy a honda or Yamaha 1000. All the power you need, less fuel, smaller, lighter etc.

I bought a brand new Yamaha 1000 w/ a factory 5 year warranty for $699.00 OTD.

Lot to be said for brand new.... :td:

I bought mine from Yamaha of Ranco Cucamonga during a sale but this gives you the jiffy.

Lil more money but no driving to get it. 3 year warranty.

Scroll down to read all its features

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-EF1000iS-1-...1QAAOSweW5VViKz

PS: we ever gonna work on your trailer???

Mine is a couple years old btw. Yammi was having a promotion

Dale, I would go the other way. It's obvious to me that you take care of your things and keep them a long time. I would look for a 3000 Honda with remote start. I assume you are going to put heat and air in your trailer and this would run everything and more. Mount it to the front of your trailer and be done.

$5/600 for the used 2000 is about right if in good working order.

That little 2000 you could top off with fuel before bed and run an electric blanket all night on one tank full.........

$500 would be the buddy deal 600 would not be out of the question and the best part is , you will be able to get that back when and if you want to sell it. You buy the "New" one from the dealer you are never going to get "Your" money back out of 100% like that little Honda.

Lot can be said for 100% payback

I have two and can run them parallel. Worth all the money if in good shape. I like the fact they are easy to move by yourself.

$700ish seems to be the going rate on them. I think that's what I paid for mine. I am one of the few people who had one fail, I forget what the cause was but I sold it as-is to a buddy who fixed it w/o too much expense. FWIW the 2000 would run most everything in my first RV, even the microwave (if other stuff wasn't pulling hard on the RV). It wouldn't run an AC or the electric water heater. My Honda 3k that I have now will run one coach AC. Just something to think about if you're going to put an AC unit on your enclosed. Of course, if you get something smaller than the typical 13.5-15k RV AC you might be able to get the 2k Honda to run it.

-TJ

$700ish seems to be the going rate on them. I think that's what I paid for mine. I am one of the few people who had one fail, I forget what the cause was but I sold it as-is to a buddy who fixed it w/o too much expense. FWIW the 2000 would run most everything in my first RV, even the microwave (if other stuff wasn't pulling hard on the RV). It wouldn't run an AC or the electric water heater. My Honda 3k that I have now will run one coach AC. Just something to think about if you're going to put an AC unit on your enclosed. Of course, if you get something smaller than the typical 13.5-15k RV AC you might be able to get the 2k Honda to run it.

-TJ

My 2K will run my AC and only my AC, It don't like it but it will run it.

I know a guy who buy's one every other year or so fo $700.00 and sells it off for what he paid for it, One year he even got $750.00 for it after a years use. Seems somebody was going camping over the 4th of July and needed power for his wife's Hair dryer or something and had to have one.

Will a 1,000 run a microwave?

My 2000 struggeled with the microwave, I just bought a Yamaha 2400

Probably struggled because the microwave wasn't the only thing on. Converter is several hundred watts, other misc items. Also is your micro only 1000 watt. My first trailer had a 1500 microwave.

Another nice thing with these gennys is the ease of adding an auxillary fuel tank. Run it all weekend without having to refuel.

Probably struggled because the microwave wasn't the only thing on. Converter is several hundred watts, other misc items. Also is your micro only 1000 watt. My first trailer had a 1500 microwave.

Another nice thing with these gennys is the ease of adding an auxillary fuel tank. Run it all weekend without having to refuel.

A 2000 gen should run a 1000 watt microwave with no other load on the genny.

Offer him $200 and you will pick it up and resell it on GD.com for $400 and buy a Honda 3000 with electric start!!!!

Thats the "Merica" way, flip it!!

But its a good deal as long as it does not smoke.

My buddy has one of these Generators and wants to sell it to me.

He's just not sure how much?

I'm trying to find out the hours on it.

I thought I'd get some experts here on they they think a fair price would be.

Year bought, 2001

According to my math skills that makes your buddies generator 15 years old.

I wouldnt pay a nickel over 250.

Why? Chances are its going to need a rebuild, unless you know for fact it only has a few hours on it. Rebuild kit for the motor is about 120 bucks including gaskets. Then you either have to do the work yourself, or pay someone to do it. You will have to have the cylinder honed, and possibly an oversized piston depending on the wear in cylinder. I dont know if they make an oversized piston for the motors in the 2000. 3000 i know for a fact they do.

6-700 is what I would pay if it was only a couple years old. Not 15.

Also, for many people to remember, this was a 900 dollar generator IIRC new 15 years ago. The price has come up a couple hundy in the last 15 years. Paying 6-700 for this unit would be silly.

Edited by saychz316

http://www.mitm.com/generators/GEN-3000-IMM0/1088

We just brought these into our stores..This unit will run your RV AC..One guy can move this around pretty easy..Really quiet....MI-T-M is well known for their quality in regards to commercial pressure washers and compressors...I can get you one for less than a Honda 2000...Mike

Ok...cool guys thanks!

Let me see what he says.

I just bought a Champion 3100w (2800w constant) generator from Costco for $600 (normal price $699). Runs anything I want it to on our rig, quiet, and reports are it sips fuel. Best part is it was bought at Costco. If I have a problem with it next year, I'll exchange it. Beyond whatever the manufacturer's warranty is, I refuse to return things to Costco even if they'll let me. Just seems like abuse. :bigrin

Edited by Rockwood

600 is very fair

Nope. A regular microwave puts out 1,000 watts of RF energy, it takes about 1900 -2000 watts to make that power. Also, the generators don't make as much power as the name implies. The Honda 1,000 only makes peak power of 1,000 watts for a few seconds, max power is 800 watts. Same with the Honda 2000, it really only makes 1600 watts, so even a 2000 wouldn't run a 1,000 watt microwave, maybe a small 800 watt microwave.

Carson Fun Runner linked up to a Honda 2000 gave me a few 100% trouble free years. I've gotta admit though, I pride myself on going overboard when it comes to taking care of my stuff. That poor generator just got gas dumped in it and maybe one oil change when I first got it. Then it got treated like a red headed step generator the rest of it's harsh life with me. Poor lil bastard was probably holding on for dear life when I sold it.

Dale, the question is, when you think further down the road, what exactly do you plan on powering with the genny? Are you going to add a microwave? A rooftop AC? Air compressor? Blender?

If there's even a remote chance of running any of those things, I'd highly recommend the Champion 3100 with remote start. About $900 new. It will easily run a microwave or AC, plus anything else that's less power hungry, including a blender. It's VERY nice to be able to start/stop the genny with a remote key fob while still laying in bed, nice and cozy. When I had my Honda 3000 with remote start, 90% of the time I needed to start/stop it I was in bed.

The whole concept of getting dressed and trudging out there to manually pull start the genny like a lawn mower or stop it at that time of the evening/morning was not even a possibility! :lol:

Oh yea, the best thing you can do for any portable genny is either keep it in the bed of the truck, or up on a stand a couple of feet off the sand. The farther you keep it from sand, the longer the air filter lasts, the less sand that gets in, etc. These things last a long time if kept clean. The Hondas are still amazingly durable even when abused and neglected. I look at Honda and wonder why they do a lot of things, like not have a remote start model, no sport UTV, and there are other models of motorcycles and stuff they should have marketed but didn't.

Good engineers, lousy at assessing the market.