Sign in to follow this  
Racerngr1

My First Sandrail

I'm looking at making a big jump, sold my RZR 1000 XP 4 seater and I'm looking into getting into a LT rail with a LS1 and a 2D tranny. I have a friend with at LT setup and he loves it and has given me his maintenance schedule but I just want other peoples opinions as well. This will be my first sandrail for my family and I'm trying to stay in the 30K and under range. I just don't see me spending the same amount of money on a RZR or Can Am when I can have a rail for the same price. Thanks in advance.

I can tell you my fun factor when sky high moving from a sxs to a rail.

One thing to look for is if the rear arms are Stub axles (run away from it), Micro or mid boards.

When was the trans last rebuilt. (2d's have a very small R gear.)

Look at all the joints for cracks.

And the list goes on. Thats my .02

I can tell you my fun factor when sky high moving from a sxs to a rail.

One thing to look for is if the rear arms are Stub axles (run away from it), Micro or mid boards.

When was the trans last rebuilt. (2d's have a very small R gear.)

Look at all the joints for cracks.

And the list goes on. Thats my .02

I appreciate your response. Do you have a picture of the rear arms that are good and bad (bad stub axles) etc....? Also what's your maintenance cost every year on a rail? Are there parts to be aware of that you should plan on breaking (like a belt on a RZR every other trip, etc)?

I have an LS1/2D car the has the GearOne 930 Super Stub setup and I have beat on it for 2 seasons now. If I ever break one, I will upgrade to midboards as it will destroy that side of the brakes,hub, bearings when it lets go.

As for maintenance, there will be quite a bit more on a sand car and if you are handy with a wrench you can save yourself some money. My pre-season checklist looks like this:

- Pull Axles and CV's, clean, inspect and grease CV's ($50-100)

- Replace if needed (930's run about $120-$200 each depending on 300M or not) I replaced all 4 CV's when I bought the car and have 2 seasons on them and no issues yet

- Oil Change and Filter Change ($50-$100)

- Change 2d Oil and inspect old fluid for metal (early signs of failure) ($60)

- Clean Fuel Filters

- Bleed Brakes

- Various adjustments and tweaks depending on how much driving was done during summer months.

Every trip Maintenance:

- Clean Air filters

- Pull back CV boots and visually inspect grease, add if needed

Good things to keep on in the car:

- Spare CV, bolts, grease ( I kept the 4 old CVs, 3 at camp and one in the car at all times)

- ratchet straps and tow strap

- pantyhose (works as a pre-filter in a pinch)

Edited by Urbanity

Congrats on the move from SXS to sand car, you will enjoy it I am sure. My advice would be with a $30k budget try and aim for a name brand car. Be patient and find the right fit. LS1 and 2D is a great combo with responsible driving and good maintenance. For an annual upkeep/repair/maint budget I would say factor 10% of the value of the car. So $30k car should be $3k, so if you spread out a tranny once every 4 seasons with regular annual repairs it should be close.

Good luck with the hunt and have fun!

My best advice is to buy a rail based upon the quality of its build and quality of its parts not the paint or poweder coat. This is hard for a newbie because they want to look cool. Looking cool broke at China Wall sucks. Rails are much harder to get out of the dunes when broke than SxS's.

Set your price range and then find the car with the strongest transaxle, hubs and CV's. My experience is that cars built by reputable builders are the most reliable but they all break. Get to know Joe at Glamis Fab you will need some favors from him.

My best advice is to buy a rail based upon the quality of its build and quality of its parts not the paint or poweder coat. This is hard for a newbie because they want to look cool. Looking cool broke at China Wall sucks. Rails are much harder to get out of the dunes when broke than SxS's.

Set your price range and then find the car with the strongest transaxle, hubs and CV's. My experience is that cars built by reputable builders are the most reliable but they all break. Get to know Joe at Glamis Fab you will need some favors from him.

Good Advice there... and all above

Since buying a rail is like buying a classic car - consider having someone who knows rails come along with you to look - Its common with used cars to do a "safety inspection" same is true with rails, as others have said the thrill is worth it, but they all are "custom made" Unless you can afford a more "factory" car like a Tatum or Funco where they build every part to the same spec, you are getting a custom built car that is the closest thing to an off-road race car normal people can own. You would have to oush a SxS far past its safe limit to get similar thrills as a sand car - but that has a price.. I figure you will pay 10%- 20% of the purchase price in the first year to maintain the car - that might be high, but it might be low. Depending on the condition of the car and how you drive and maintain it.

You might PM LRS on the board, He preps sand cars and race cars and knows them inside and out, and see he offers pre-purchase consulting, maybe he could Inspect" it before you buy - might not catch everything, but its better insurance than not. Thats a common thing for classic car buyers to do..

Good Luck and have fun

Edited by fullthrottleguy

Don't buy a car from looks. Buy for how it performs and what kind of duning you want. Your first question should be which manufacturer should I buy. Ride before you buy. 2d transmissions are expensive and a constant maintenance item in these cars. For sure a centerboard or midboard setup vs stubs. (I broke a stub on my Sand Limo and the wheel went flying. Of course this tears up the caliper and rotor). The larger stub axles are stronger but the bearing is small. Some cars are not designed as well as others and the CV joints get worn out due to excessive angle. This job alone is a PITA to do. You don't have to pull the axles and CVs every season if this is designed well and also depends on how many trips/dune miles each season. Most of these cars have dual disc clutches. This is another wear item depending on the previous owner. Kennedy makes a thicker floater for between the discs but most people just replace the whole assembly. Of course the flywheel has to be surfaced properly by someone that can do a stepped flywheel. If you are looking at an older car you have to worry about things like hardened braided rubber fuel lines. They get brittle and old. Are the power steering hoses rubbing anywhere. Ball joints front and back. Rubber boots for the turning brake and clutch slave cylinder. If you are not able to work on a sandrail yourself they can be very expensive paying someone to do the labor on all of these different items. Certainly more fun than a sxs but go in knowing what you are in for.

If you post up cars you are interested in people on this board will help and give advice. There are some very smart people in this forum that like to help fellow duners.

Seems like this would be a helluva car in your price range: http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....howtopic=347526

-TJ

Seems like this would be a helluva car in your price range: http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....howtopic=347526

-TJ

I have definitely been drueling over that car. There are a few Amplified cars I've been looking at online and one Extreme

-TJ

I have definitely been drueling over that car. There are a few Amplified cars I've been looking at online and one Extreme

I definitely like Extreme cars and they are still in business. Allan takes good care of his customers and is a wealth of knowledge, it's nice to have the builder still around.

-TJ

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/snw/5822648468.html

here is another one and this company is still in business

Dear lord that thing is ugly (I know, I know looks aren't everything, or even the first thing, but daaaaaaaaaaaamn...).

-TJ

Dear lord that thing is ugly (I know, I know looks aren't everything, or even the first thing, but daaaaaaaaaaaamn...).

-TJ

I just want to go for a ride in one at this point, never been in one

-TJ

Its that hood, that STX is basically the same care I have except the next level up. It has Bypasses on all 4 corners and has Midboards

-TJ

Where are you located? You can take mine for a spin

-TJ

Where are you located? You can take mine for a spin

So cal and usually frequent glam is and Dumont

-TJ

Why you make fun? Some people tend to look like their cars!

:lmao:

post-12337-1476850750.jpg

I've been a quad and dirt bike rider my entire life.

I just purchased my first sand rail in April 2016. Now that I've had my car out in Glamis 2 times, I'm realizing that one of the best decisions I made was to buy from a reputable seller on this board. I bought this car, in your price range, from Squatcher. He met me in Glamis for a test drive, helped me make sure it fit in my toy hauler, took me on a dune run, and we still keep in touch today.

Then I had L.R.S. take my car this summer and add my personal touches and give it another look over. He's still answering all of my newbie questions too.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index....p;hl=sandwinder

I just got back form Glamis last weekend and the car ran perfectly. It was awesome to take my pregnant wife and 2 young boys in the dunes for their very first time and feel like I had a safe and reliable car.

Bottom line - I feel like there is more accountability for sellers on this board. Obviously there are no guarantees but people on GD value their reputation. If you're patient, you'll find the right deal. Good luck!

This is from Glamis just a few days ago.

post-102217-1476853142_thumb.jpg

post-102217-1476853129_thumb.jpg

post-102217-1476853115_thumb.jpg

I just purchased my first sand rail in April 2016. Now that I've had my car out in Glamis 2 times, I'm realizing that one of the best decisions I made was to buy from a reputable seller on this board. I bought this car, in your price range, from Squatcher. He met me in Glamis for a test drive, helped me make sure it fit in my toy hauler, took me on a dune run, and we still keep in touch today.

Then I had L.R.S. take my car this summer and add my personal touches and give it another look over. He's still answering all of my newbie questions too.

I just got back form Glamis last weekend and the car ran perfectly. It was awesome to take my pregnant wife and 2 young boys in the dunes for their very first time and feel like I had a safe and reliable car.

Bottom line - I feel like there is more accountability for sellers on this board. Obviously there are no guarantees but people on GD value their reputation. If you're patient, you'll find the right deal. Good luck!

I was really happy you text me those pics yesterday. I forwarded them to one of the guys that works for me and built the radio/intercom enclosure. Nice to see our work out in the dunes, especially when it is being enjoyed by a family!

post-102217-1476853142_thumb.jpg

post-102217-1476853129_thumb.jpg

post-102217-1476853115_thumb.jpg

I can't wait, I have a 4 and 6 year old and my wife so a rail would be perfect for me

I don't agree with only buying a "name brand" car.

My car is not name brand, but as far as geometry and strength, it ranks up there.

I do agree with looking at components instead of bling.

"Chrome will get you blown, but won't get you home".

Buy as much transaxle as you can.

Buy as much suspension as you can.

I have a stock LS1, but I can out run a lot of cars with more HP than me in the dunes.

Lots of HP isn't always beneficial in the dunes.

Cool at the drags, but too much makes the car tough to drive in the dunes.

Maintenance?

CV's every season, tear down, clean, inspect and redo.

Tranny fluid every season.

Engine oil every trip.

Air filters clean/oil every trip.

Check all nuts and bolts, daily out in the dunes.

I usually spend $1000 a season, on average.

Tranny rebuilds will make that go up obviously.

There's a big difference between well-built and overbuilt. The more paneling, stereo, motor, tire, "dual sport bracing" etc, you add, the more digging you're probably going to enjoy unless you're careful on where you park and what lines you pick. :bigrin

Ask one of my buddies: he went from a VW powered beam chassis (that he duned 5-6 weekends a season for probably 2 decades prior) to a 5 seat long travel. The first weekend was rough for all of us. :bigrin

Edited by Rockwood

I would lean on someone that knows what they are looking at when it comes to sand cars. Lots of cars out there with a big motor but nothing to support the power. I cringe when I see a 4 seat LS car with a 2D.

When I was looking I didn't know any of the lingo. I didn't know a CV from a CB. Having a large group to ride with that has the complete spectrum of disposable income has helped me a lot in seeing what works and what doesn't.

Couple of things I learned that are different coming over from the SXS world to a sand car. Your rear hubs and your transmission are your life line out in the dunes. Obviously there are other things that come into play but mostly rear hubs. You can have any kind of motor failure and still get pulled back. You can have a transmission failure and get pulled back. Break a sub axel, and you now are missing a wheel and either have to fix it out in the dunes (if you can) or drag it back or go get a trailer. Most times it does other damage also.

Love that saying also... "Chrome will get you blown, but won't get you home."