Sign in to follow this  
Racerngr1

My First Sandrail

I'm looking at making a big jump, sold my RZR 1000 XP 4 seater and I'm looking into getting into a LT rail with a LS1 and a 2D tranny. I have a friend with at LT setup and he loves it and has given me his maintenance schedule but I just want other peoples opinions as well. This will be my first sandrail for my family and I'm trying to stay in the 30K and under range. I just don't see me spending the same amount of money on a RZR or Can Am when I can have a rail for the same price. Thanks in advance.

There are a lot of factors to consider.

Do you want to just go to Glamis, or do some dirt/trail riding with it? You might consider something more robust, like a Desert Dynamics.

Do you like to carve the dunes like a quad? You might consider an older turbo Subi powered Funco.

Do you want to cruise the dunes at a fast pace, but don't like to make neck snapping turns? Then other brands like SCU, Amplified, SU, pretty much anything else might be more in your style.

Some generalized observations: if you can find something with an S4 trans for just a bit more, it's worth it. Same with mid-board hubs, they increase travel and are much stronger than micro stubs. Who you buy from can help a bit in terms of being a stand up seller, but ultimately: don't be fooled by shiney parts.

Do your due diligence, if you're serious about a car, remove the panels, check closely for cracks, listen to the engine as it revs, drive the car, feel the shifts, listen for unusual trans noises - bottom line, YOU need to ensure everything that can be checked is checked before you buy.

I've seen a few threads where guys claimed they got screwed with a few cracks in the frame that might have been there when they bought it, or they might have caused after a few trips. There's no way to be sure after the sale, so look closely and don't let shiney paint and chrome fool you.

Having said all of that, the Amplified that TJ linked to is a very good deal, great handling/riding car and Scott is a great guy to deal with. I'd also recommend buying some LED lights from him while you're at it, he sells a wide variety.

Since you have never driven a sand car, you might consider cars with a Subaru or Honda motor with a 2 d tranny. There are a lot of good quality

cars with this combo and are a blast to drive. They are lighter and give you a much different dunning experience, plus that motor tranny combo

might last 5-6 years without issue. I am a V8 guy but a lot of my friends have Honda and Subi cars and their maintenance costs are substantially

less.

If I had driven a Subi or Honda car when I first got into dunning, I may have bought one. You should at least investigate these cars and drive one.

just my 2cents.

Since you have never driven a sand car, you might consider cars with a Subaru or Honda motor with a 2 d tranny. There are a lot of good quality

cars with this combo and are a blast to drive. They are lighter and give you a much different dunning experience, plus that motor tranny combo

might last 5-6 years without issue. I am a V8 guy but a lot of my friends have Honda and Subi cars and their maintenance costs are substantially

less.

If I had driven a Subi or Honda car when I first got into dunning, I may have bought one. You should at least investigate these cars and drive one.

just my 2cents.

I agree, and about 2d trans its all about maintenance and how you drive it, just like VW trans some people use them for many seasons with proper maintenance with no issues and other blow then on 1st ride

for as long as I have seen friends purchase new cars, you can get lucky, but I would be prepared to go threw the Transaxle and save about $2500 - $3500 for Repairs,

Grease the CV's Every trip with a grease needle to get to the back of the CV Cup or add Grease Zerks to the CV body,

Sand gets in everywhere, I change my oil ever trip

if you do not have 2'' hollow fronts pull the spindles and have them checked for cracks,

carry extra fuses and relays get beat up over time carry extra relays

depending on the RPM you run, put on a oversized alternator pulley on the LS or carry a spare Alternator

and have a extra fuel pump and starter on hand

I have not had to use them yet with exceptions of the TPS, but for about $250-300 I carry a extra TPS, Cranks Sensor and Cam Sensor, I run a MAF so keep a extra MAF also,

That Tatum is a lot of car for the money!

Edited by socaldmax

I'm going to chime in here and just say that I love my sandcar. I know there's a lot being thrown at you but the rush you will feel on a good dune run is WORTH IT!

I can tell you my fun factor when sky high moving from a sxs to a rail.

One thing to look for is if the rear arms are Stub axles (run away from it), Micro or mid boards.

When was the trans last rebuilt. (2d's have a very small R gear.)

Look at all the joints for cracks.

And the list goes on. Thats my .02

I ran 934's with stub axles on my sand pro 2 and never had an issue. The following two owners haven't had an issue either..

Inland empire craigslist search Funco-Ramona post#5833787541

post-1865-1476877431.jpg

Edited by Sumsand

Post # 5813091310 same as above^^^Funco Suncity

post-1865-1476877742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sumsand

Just want to say congrats on making the move from Rubberband power. You are going to have a lot of fun

One thing to look for is if the rear arms are Stub axles (run away from it), Micro or mid boards.

I ran 934's with stub axles on my sand pro 2 and never had an issue. The following two owners haven't had an issue either..

When I say stub axle I'm referring to the VW type 1 stub axle.

You break a stub axle in the dunes, your SOL. I got lucky twice and had my wheel stay on. After the 2nd time I converted the rear to a micro stub. So if I did happen again, the wheel would stay bolted up to the arm.

Quote me if Im wrong, but I don't think they make a 934 type 1 stub.

http://www.jbugs.com/category/VW-Off-Road-Stub-Axles.html

Edited by GrMeyer

When I say stub axle I'm referring to the VW type 1 stub axle.

You break a stub axle in the dunes, your SOL. I got lucky twice and had my wheel stay on. After the 2nd time I converted the rear to a micro stub. So if I did happen again, the wheel would stay bolted up to the arm.

Quote me if Im wrong, but I don't think they make a 934 type 1 stub.

http://www.jbugs.com/category/VW-Off-Road-Stub-Axles.html

Bummer is the unit bearing relies on the stub to support it. If the wheel stays on, it'll quickly ruin the unit bearing. Granted, you'll still make it back, but you're probably more than a stub replacement from getting back out there.

Luckily, unit bearings are super cake to replace.

I had very bad luck with type 1 stub axles but had no problems with Gear One Monster Stubs.

I have worked on the gear one Super Stubs, the issue can be the maintenance schedule, just make sure the seals are changed and the bearings stay greased,

if a nut does come loose it will wipe out the bearings, so I would check them every couple of trips or go threw them once a year like a Midboard or outboard,

This would be a great 1st car. It may not have to V8 you want but it will go anywhere in G you want it to go and put a huge smile on your face. Quality mfg. who knows his geometry and is still in business. Priced right for your budget with some left over for maintenance and general upkeep to get a base line on your new car.

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/ind...s&id=115198

With your budget, find yourself a nice LS1/2D car....Wouldn't hesitate buying a car with stub axles..Most cars in your budget will have them..

This would be a great 1st car. It may not have to V8 you want but it will go anywhere in G you want it to go and put a huge smile on your face. Quality mfg. who knows his geometry and is still in business. Priced right for your budget with some left over for maintenance and general upkeep to get a base line on your new car.

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifieds/ind...s&id=115198

That car has already been sold.

I've got your car right here buddy!! It has everything most of these guys are talking about (name brand with great geometry, a fresh 2D trans mated to a turbo subi)... happens to be a good looking car at the same time. if you are looking great for a duning car that is turn key... . this is it!

If you want to know more... check the ad or let me know.

post-63181-1477061826_thumb.png

I've got your car right here buddy!! It has everything most of these guys are talking about (name brand with great geometry, a fresh 2D trans mated to a turbo subi)... happens to be a good looking car at the same time. if you are looking great for a duning car that is turn key... . this is it!

Another question I have is about half of my friends tell me that sandrails are just money pits and to stick with a UTV and other half say there isn't a whole lot to them. When they do break, what breaks? I could understand a catastrophic failure on an engine or trans but other than that.....?

Another question I have is about half of my friends tell me that sandrails are just money pits and to stick with a UTV and other half say there isn't a whole lot to them. When they do break, what breaks? I could understand a catastrophic failure on an engine or trans but other than that.....?

Spindles, stub axles, cvs, axles, trailing arm pivots, relays and all sorts of electrical things. Lots of hours and/or cash will/should be spent. But that's kind of fun in its own way. Until the wife says get out of the garage and stop spending money.

yes, plan on a few grand a year

My car might be for sale in the next few days if my house loan goes through .

2015 playtech 1 3/4 frame beam car with built 091 and turbo ecotecpost-55920-1477313644_thumb.jpg

Spindles, stub axles, cvs, axles, trailing arm pivots, relays and all sorts of electrical things. Lots of hours and/or cash will/should be spent. But that's kind of fun in its own way. Until the wife says get out of the garage and stop spending money.

None of the stuff you listed should be a normal part to break. If the car is built with quality parts that are correct for the weight/size/hp of the car and you don't crash it and keep up on the prep/maintenance breaking parts should not be a normal occurance.