Sign in to follow this  
punkur67

Is it worth keeping my CA plates on my golf cart

So doing my insurance and its almost  $500 a year to insure my golf cart as street legal. Is it worth keeping it street legal or just get a green sticker? I live in a golf cart comunity so we can drive it around anaway and it goes to the desert. It just seems like a waste of money to insure it for the street.

I have plates on mine and insured but we had LEO come into camp saying you can't drive that in the dez and that it needs to be green strickered to be in the dirt . I said it has CA plates she said that plate is only good in a golfcat approved community or within so many miles from the course. The plate dose no good in the dez for what she was saying

I know there is no real benefit off road but more concerned about the street. Seems a waste being that I live in a golf cart community cause I dont think I need  a plate in my neighborhood.

Thing is you don't live in the estates right do you pay HOA .I thought you were Ryland? Track mabe your being illegal id be careful 

Just now, Drupanddown said:

I have plates on mine and insured but we had LEO come into camp saying you can't drive that in the dez and that it needs to be green strickered to be in the dirt . I said it has CA plates she said that plate is only good in a golfcat approved community or within so many miles from the course. The plate dose no good in the dez for what she was saying

I think she is wrong,

but don't argue with the badge

2 hours ago, Drupanddown said:

You need to get something called a tow-in pass when you arrive. It allows a plated vehicle to operate on fed land with only a street plate and no camping pass

17 minutes ago, onebigjohn said:

You need to get something called a tow-in pass when you arrive. It allows a plated vehicle to operate on fed land with only a street plate and no camping pass

This was at superstition no passes needed if your referring to a plated vehicle in the dunes

5 hours ago, Drupanddown said:

That doesn't make any sense.

4 minutes ago, MQUnlimited said:

That doesn't make any sense.

I know

I said so my  Suzuki samurai sitting next to it needs a green sticker that's when the whole golf cart plate is only good near a course but hey I'm not a he/she blm ranger chick/dude thing

Probably just messing with you for having a silly samurai. :lol:

why in the hell would you pay $500/yr to insure a golf cart?

1 hour ago, mark5193 said:

Cuz he ain't that smart but if you have a plate they make ya 

2 hours ago, mark5193 said:

Exactly why im asking if theres any benefit of keeping the plate. If it has a plate it needs insurance and that is the cost

Maybe she was trying to say you need a pass($$$) for the cart cause it has a plate and is a separate vehicle.

20 hours ago, Drupanddown said:

So does that mean I cant take my truck to the hill?

Not sure I'm just a DR......

Can you get "limited mileage" insurance like on a classic car?

Call AAA. My 1995 medalist with a CA plate is $54 a year. 

I found cheaper insurance for it from other carriers. But there are only a few places that will insure my house due to location and their complete policy is more expensive than my current carrier. For instance my golf cart is $175 elsewhere but all my other vehicles go up ultimately increasing my overall premium. 

For my 05 EzGo gas cart CA reg is $68, Allstate insurance is $60.  Used at the river in AZ. 

If you green sticker it you can no longer drive it in the street in your designated golf course community.