Jump to content
Racerngr1

Sandrail in the whoops

Recommended Posts

I recently purchased a sandrail with a V6 and 2D and learned I can't drive it through the whoops like I want to.  What kind of sand car (transmission) is capable of that or atleast having it be easier on the trans.  That was one of the things I really enjoyed doing in my old RZR 1000, was smaller jumps and whoops so I'm kind of bummed I "can't do it with this car."  Any advise would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you "learn" this info from?

got a pic of the car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am no expert but, I can imagine a little more info on your set up would help those that can point you in the right direction.

What kind of car?

Rear, mid engine?

What is your suspension set up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ocotillo Boy said:

Where did you "learn" this info from?

got a pic of the car?

This is my first sandrail so to learn "what I was getting into" I went to a few tranny shops to talk to them and they said "No Reverse" and "No Whoops" or you will be our best customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stugots said:

I am no expert but, I can imagine a little more info on your set up would help those that can point you in the right direction.

What kind of car?

Rear, mid engine?

What is your suspension set up.

 

This is my car:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well hammering through woops is tough on any trans and yes you do not want to use reverse much if you can avoid it.

The 2d is a great trans but if running hard through woops is your thing you may be rebuilding it more frequently. I would invest in making sure your suspension is properly tuned and set up for your car you would be surprised at how many cars are built and not set up right, it can make a huge difference. Then use the car what it was built for, duneing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So u post this up but u put the car up for sale 1 hour ago.........  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a great car for the dunes.

I don't see the problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lincster said:

So u post this up but u put the car up for sale 1 hour ago.........  :lol:

I'm trying to figure my next move for my next car.  How would a Mendeola sequential hold up in the whoops compared to a 2D, would it be a lot better or just a little? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No transaxle will hold up forever pounding the whoops all the time.

But if you want the best, Albins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, lincster said:

No transaxle will hold up forever pounding the whoops all the time.

But if you want the best, Albins.

I don't really expect it to hold up forever, I'm just trying to make a better decision on my next car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss my car.. 70mph through whoops.. and accelerating...

IMG_6110.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drive it how you want and break it first.  Then see what it needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ANGRYBUTTCRACK said:

I miss my car.. 70mph through whoops.. and accelerating...

IMG_6110.JPG

What was your car setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you saying the car does not handle well or the trans is not rated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, punkur67 said:

Are you saying the car does not handle well or the trans is not rated?

I'm saying I've been warned by a couple different reputable trans shops that it will kill the tranny quickly, so I just keep it in the dunes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for a sport where stuff doesn't break I think you should try ping pong.  

If you are thinking about stepping up thinking stuff won't break, think again.  The bigger you go the more expensive it gets to fix.

Unless you drive like a total nozzle, that tranny should have no problems going 3-4 seasons between refreshes.  Replace the R&P and maybe some gears you are talking 3-4k.  That's 1k a year.

Go to a bigger, heavier car with more power and bigger tires.  That same rebuild in the 25k albins costs you, what, 8k? (someone who's paid this bill can chime in)

That being said, I just checked out your for sale ad and that is a NICE car.

Unless the money is just burning a hole in your pocket, drive that car till it breaks and then reevaluate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ping pong. Ahahahahaha. 

I just watched Balls of Fury. Hilarious!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Racerngr1 said:

I don't really expect it to hold up forever, I'm just trying to make a better decision on my next car.

What will help, step up to a larger tire size, and then the smaller whoops disappear..

I have been the whoops in third gear with no issues, fitted out with a bus box.

Still together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I drove my buggy of similar size with an 091 that is weaker than your trans for 7 years very hard through the whoops on 33" tires. I refreshed it every 3 years and it never needed gears or any major parts. I think you are being scared by others. My favorite thing to do is go fast through the rough stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just keep your current car, set up the suspension right, play with a different rear tire size (maybe) and learn how to drive it. Those SU ultra lights are a blast to drive. Unless money is not an issue then step up and go bigger:wash11:. Just keep in mind the bigger you go the bigger the repair bill when something breaks.

I had a Desert Dynamics with a 091 trans and V6 with a dialed in suspension that I would smash through the whoops and hit small jumps. Only rebuilt the trans once in 3 seasons. Since this is your first car there is a learning cure when switching over.

good luck bro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 467echo said:

yup! that'll do it BRAAAAPPP!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are being led astray here. We need to look at this with more detail. Everyone's definition of "running the whoops"  is different so I would clarify what you want to do before abandoning buggys and getting a ping pong table. This car can run any whoops you ran in an rzr at the same speed without breaking. Let's look at the question this way:

  • a 2d and a v6  is fine as long as you don't severely or frequently shock load the r&p. So if you tune the suspension right and keep the tires in contact with the sand you are golden. 
  • Are you wanting to fly through the bottom of olds with the back end slapping around or run down the sand highway between comp and vendors at 70? If so, yes you'll wear that r&p down fast. 
  • If you do the hill at rzr speed with your suspension soft and try to avoid shocking th tranny, or run the whoops to the store a the 35 or 40mph you'll get several seasons. 

Yes, you will damage r&p eventually. We all do. But plan on $1000 every 2 years instead of a belt every weekend :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoatPoker said:

I think you are being led astray here. We need to look at this with more detail. Everyone's definition of "running the whoops"  is different so I would clarify what you want to do before abandoning buggys and getting a ping pong table. This car can run any whoops you ran in an rzr at the same speed without breaking. Let's look at the question this way:

  • a 2d and a v6  is fine as long as you don't severely or frequently shock load the r&p. So if you tune the suspension right and keep the tires in contact with the sand you are golden. 
  • Are you wanting to fly through the bottom of olds with the back end slapping around or run down the sand highway between comp and vendors at 70? If so, yes you'll wear that r&p down fast. 
  • If you do the hill at rzr speed with your suspension soft and try to avoid shocking th tranny, or run the whoops to the store a the 35 or 40mph you'll get several seasons. 

Yes, you will damage r&p eventually. We all do. But plan on $1000 every 2 years instead of a belt every weekend :)

Thank you everybody for the constructive feedback.  I know stuff is going to break, I came from a boat and know the deal.  The way it was explained to me by two reputable tranny shops made it seem like every time I run through the whoops, I'm going to snap something (granted they are talking in generalities as I didn't even have a car yet but told them what I was looking for).  If it's just going to wear down my trans a little quicker I'm OK with that, I just don't want to be doing a full rebuild of my 2D every season or more. 

As far as what kind of whoops do I want to run, coming out of comp towards sand highway, I want to go like as fast as my family feels safe; whereas right now, I'm doing like 5-10 mph just rolling over them like I'm in a stock truck.  I'm all about getting the suspension dialed in on that car and possibly keeping it.  The only other reason it's up for sale is I want more power and I talked to CBM and they said that's not the best engine to try to modify as they are the one that put it in that car in 2014.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...