Racerngr1

Rebuilding CV's

I love the smell of CV grease in the morning!!!

Have a question about the dried fingers and cracking, what do you use for hand cleaner when you are done? I used to have the same issue when I used hand cleaners, always had dried split stained fingers. Tried some really expensive industrial hand cleaners and most of the run of the mill types but always hand issues. Finally tried some Dawn Platinum dish soap, the pump bottle type. Found that a little soap and a little water and it removes the grease and stains and left my hands clean. O K so I have dish pan hands but they no longer are cracked and split. Try it and see for yourself.

Edited by SLINGINGSAND

Lots of good info here.

Pulled this from the linked Sandsports article.....

We’ve been using the Chevron Delo EP2 and have had good results after many hard dune runs. It remains tacky over long periods of time, but the best part is that it’s about $6 per tube!

Any thoughts on the Chevron Delo Grease ^^^?

I have CV grease all over just from reading this... :mongo:

The Devils Lube!

On 1/13/2017 at 8:36 PM, jtmoney714 said:

Does it matter if you swap cv bodies and parts around?  I usually keep the axles marked and put back the same way, but the cvs are a mix and match deal for me. 

Not in my opinion.  Rotation helps balance out the wear.  I keep the axles on the same sides in the same direction but I'll swap the wheel side and tranny side CV's with each other.  Put them on the same rotating direction they came off.

On 1/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, SLINGINGSAND said:

Have a question about the dried fingers and cracking, what do you use for hand cleaner when you are done? I used to have the same issue when I used hand cleaners, always had dried split stained fingers. Tried some really expensive industrial hand cleaners and most of the run of the mill types but always hand issues. Finally tried some Dawn Platinum dish soap, the pump bottle type. Found that a little soap and a little water and it removes the grease and stains and left my hands clean. O K so I have dish pan hands but they no longer are cracked and split. Try it and see for yourself.

Absolutely agree. Dawn does the trick!

On 1/16/2017 at 8:50 PM, CHIZZLE said:

Not in my opinion.  Rotation helps balance out the wear.  I keep the axles on the same sides in the same direction but I'll swap the wheel side and tranny side CV's with each other.  Put them on the same rotating direction they came off.

I'm of a different opinion. After running a new cv,all the components are wear mated and should not be mixed up(IMO). I make sure all components are reassembled exactly as they came apart. Balls in the same tracks and the star/outer race oriented so the star and race tracks are clocked ,track to track,as they were before disassembly.

Edited by fabr

I bought those small clear plastic tubs from Costco.  I just write on the tub Driver Outer, inner, Pass outer, inner.  I place each assembly in the tub lined with paper towels.  Helps when your putting them back together.  The balls don't run away from you.

On 1/16/2017 at 7:50 PM, CHIZZLE said:

I thought about this later and realized I said the wrong thing.  The only way to "rotate" the CV's, if you choose to do so, is:

-passenger side/trans moves to driver's side/wheel

-driver's side/trans moves to passenger side/wheel

This puts the force on the opposite side of the CV cage and stars when rotated.  This is assuming you're following the rules of the Outfront pics on how they're assembled.

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 5:41 AM, CHIZZLE said:

I thought about this later and realized I said the wrong thing.  The only way to "rotate" the CV's, if you choose to do so, is:

-passenger side/trans moves to driver's side/wheel

-driver's side/trans moves to passenger side/wheel

This puts the force on the opposite side of the CV cage and stars when rotated.  This is assuming you're following the rules of the Outfront pics on how they're assembled.

Assuming you are using the Outfront pics,  then simply putting either passenger cv to the drivers side in any position makes this work (whether inner or outer position) It will make the CV wear the opposite side as you are wanting.

the axles are different: the right must stay on the right of the car and so on, but what most don't know is that it is irrelevant that the axles' (inner and outer) stay in  the same position, flipping the axle but keeping it on the same side of the car is still twisting the axle the same way!!! yes Way!  The "only" reason you would keep it the exact way is if the splines are longer on one end of the axle and you have mid boards--in this case the longer splines should go to the mid board side. This needs a moment to sink in. 

the easiest way is to examine the axle idea is a piece of twisted licorice. take it and pick which side of the car you think that it goes to (making the twist tighter), then flip the licorice over and you will find that the licorice would still be twisting the same way (getting tighter).  now take the licorice and put it on the other side of the car. on the wrong side, flipped either way the licorice will unwind.:rbj:

5 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Assuming you are using the Outfront pics,  then simply putting either passenger cv to the drivers side in any position makes this work (whether inner or outer position) It will make the CV wear the opposite side as you are wanting.

the axles are different: the right must stay on the right of the car and so on, but what most don't know is that it is irrelevant that the axles' (inner and outer) stay in  the same position, flipping the axle but keeping it on the same side of the car is still twisting the axle the same way!!! yes Way!  The "only" reason you would keep it the exact way is if the splines are longer on one end of the axle and you have mid boards--in this case the longer splines should go to the mid board side. This needs a moment to sink in. 

the easiest way is to examine the axle idea is a piece of twisted licorice. take it and pick which side of the car you think that it goes to (making the twist tighter), then flip the licorice over and you will find that the licorice would still be twisting the same way (getting tighter).  now take the licorice and put it on the other side of the car. on the wrong side, flipped either way the licorice will unwind.:rbj:

Your explanation of the axles explains my statement about the CV's.  Think about that one for a minute John.  BTW, did you get my email?

7 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I tested the axle theory 5 times and keeping the axle on the same side but flipping it has it rotating the opposite direction every time.  I didn't use licorice, but I did put a directional arrow on a pen and turned and flipped it.  You were dead wrong for about 10 minutes until I realized it isn't about the direction of the spin, it's about the rotational torque on the axle.  Good info and thanks. 

3 hours ago, barneydds said:

I tested the axle theory 5 times and keeping the axle on the same side but flipping it has it rotating the opposite direction every time.  I didn't use licorice, but I did put a directional arrow on a pen and turned and flipped it.  You were dead wrong for about 10 minutes until I realized it isn't about the direction of the spin, it's about the rotational torque on the axle.  Good info and thanks. 

I have only been wrong once:sha:

Chance I did, I was out on vacation for a week, I will have it to the shop on monday

17 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I have only been wrong once:sha:

Chance I did, I was out on vacation for a week, I will have it to the shop on monday

:like:

On 1/27/2017 at 6:19 AM, CHIZZLE said:

IMG_8703.JPG

if you think about it, any cv found on the right could go in any position on the left of car and visa versa. it would still cause the joint to be used on the other side.   only the axles need to stay on the same side they came from 

6 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

if you think about it, any cv found on the right could go in any position on the left of car and visa versa. it would still cause the joint to be used on the other side.   only the axles need to stay on the same side they came from 

Sorry buddy, I disagree.  Use your licorice example.  Imagine grabbing the CV's by hand, use one hand to emulate the tranny motion.  One gets pressure from the front and the other from the back.  That's why the axle twists.

Edited by CHIZZLE

Learning a lot.  Never knew CV's and axles could be so complicated.

56 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

Learning a lot.  Never knew CV's and axles could be so complicated.

ok L.R.S.  which one is right?:moof:

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

I would always keep the axles on the same side and never change them up. But Cv's when I clean them I take them all apart in my solvent tank and mix them up. I don't want the stars to always ride in the same spot.

13 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

ok L.R.S.  which one is right?:moof:

See below.

6 minutes ago, Householder said:

I would always keep the axles on the same side and never change them up. But Cv's when I clean them I take them all apart in my solvent tank and mix them up. I don't want the stars to always ride in the same spot.

Same here.  Could care less where the CV's were and what side they go back on.

34 minutes ago, L.R.S. said:

See below.

Same here.  Could care less where the CV's were and what side they go back on.

if you didn't care where they go and on which side then the question to you is moot. right or wrong, I accept that.  However Chizzle is stating that he would want to change them up so the joint would be loaded after service on the opposite side of the outer housing and star then it was just using to lengthen the service life. This is a fact, so...............

So play along for a moment.  the question we are debating is "if" you wanted to change them up (to get more life) do you need to follow chizzles diagram to the tee (as he has reaffirmed) or could you simply put any right joint to the left side as i stated and still be accomplishing the same thing?

1 minute ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

if you didn't care where they go and on which side then the question to you is moot. right or wrong, I accept that.  However Chizzle is stating that he would want to change them up so the joint would be loaded after service on the opposite side of the outer housing and star then it was just using to lengthen the service life. This is a fact, so...............

So play along for a moment.  the question we are debating is "if" you wanted to change them up (to get more life) do you need to follow chizzles diagram to the tee (as he has reaffirmed) or could you simply put any right joint to the left side as i stated and still be accomplishing the same thing?

I won't play the hypothetical game.   Your debate with Chizzle doesn't interest me at all and to be honest I didn't read all the posts from either of you.  I speak from my experience of servicing CV's for many years on both race and play cars.  This thread started out by asking how to get grease into a caulking gun, which still baffles me, and as with many threads on this forum, took a left turn many posts ago.  It then went to how to clean the CV's and to what soap leaves your skin silky smooth.  Those were what I was referring to when I said, sarcastically, I'm learning a lot in this thread.

Now if you want to debate CV 'clocking' then I'm in.  But I'd prefer it be done in another thread appropriately titled.

On 1/27/2017 at 0:49 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Candy flavored axles got my attention.