stetler

Bought me a New Desert Toy !

I've been on the hunt for a new desert toy that will accommodate my wife and kids.  having a 2 seater car just hasn't worked out for us.  My good friend (another board member on here) decided to put his sand car up for sale.  While I was waiting to close the deal on it with him I went to Glamis on Thanksgiving and camped with a new group of guys.  They pretty much all had desert trucks.  Long story short one of the guys ended up crashing his truck along sand Hwy the first day.  later that night he decided to look for a new truck and put this truck up for sale.  So now  I was up against the fence between buying this truck or the Double throwdown extreme rail.  The rail was definitely more $$ & I will still have to purchase a new flatbed trailer to haul them.    I threw out an offer and he refused it.  Several weeks went by and I got a text from the owner.  The truck was back up for sale.  What really pushed me toward this truck was the fact that I can use it year round and in closer places then Glamis.  I already signed up for a Baja Excursion trip in May.  So We went back and fourth on the pricing and ended up closing the deal.   The owner lives in Illinois and stores the truck up by Pismo.   Two weeks ago I found a new cab in las Vegas.  Drove out there and picked it up.  Last week I went out to Pismo and grabbed the truck.  next week I'll be dropping it off at the same shop that built my bumper on the DMAX.   He's going to rebuild some of the suspension that's bent & cut off the cab and replace it with the new cab.   I'll be swapping all the doors and replacing the windows myself.  This should be a great truck for us,. Looking forward to hitting up some off-road race events and going to both Barstow and Glamis with it. 

I'm shooting for Presidents weekend for the first trip.  

Here's what its got:

2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew

Motor swap with a Built LQ9 motor backed by a built JW 400 trans, manual valve  ,trans cooler with remote filter

custom swing steering

Long travel is a Camburg Race set up with Deavers in the rear.

Boxed and reinforced frame. front to back caged

King 3.0, 5 tube rear with 2.5 bumps and kings up front

custom fuel cell built just for the truck

Camburg rear end with a custom center section, full float , spooled , 5/8 studs all around , wildwood brakes all around

PRP Podium seats -4 ,  37" tires - 6 of them all beadlocks,  2 full size paddles on beadlocks

Let me start off with the BEFORE Pics , when it looked perfect before the roll.

f150%204_zpsf6vngx2b.jpeg

f150%207_zpsobmitfmf.jpeg

f150%205_zpszuupatn8.jpeg

f150%202_zpsanz597ye.jpeg

f150%203_zpsg7bzdcmn.jpeg

f150%201_zpss2zuxzuq.jpeg

Edited by stetler

NOw here's what it looks like now.  Obviously the fiberglass was ripped off.  The cage and the soft sand really helped this crash from being a total loss. 

f150%206_zps9nvvxi0v.jpeg

f150%209_zpskdpsiiba.jpg

prerunner%201_zps3sanhx7b.jpg

prerunner%208_zpskftsup70.jpg

new replacement cab and doors.

prerunner%20cab_zpsg9l17lap.jpg

prerunner%206_zps4dyidafi.jpg

prerunner%207_zpsurkc1vyq.jpg

prerunner%203_zps2ztxgpg8.jpg

prerunner%202_zpssoxdsfqj.jpg

prerunner%205_zpsvlc33qsm.jpg

prerunner%20paddles_zpsvv360msk.jpg

Edited by stetler

Cool! Looks like a lot of fun is waiting for you. 

You will have a lot of fun with that! Some big air in those pics.

That looks like a lot of fun. 

Good stuff, that will be a lot of fun!

Nice. I wanted to build the same truck for the dirt. That thing will be sick when your done with it 

Thanks guys.  Ya should be some fun.  I've never been to Ocotillo before.  I use to got to the Laughlin and Parker races to watch them.  This would be a cool truck to cruise around and hit some offroad areas at the same time.  I was wondering if you think this truck could make it to China wall or the flag pole ?

Right now no problem .. Sand is really wet. Speed is your freind 

Id mobb it!

On 1/22/2017 at 3:24 PM, stetler said:

Thanks guys.  Ya should be some fun.  I've never been to Ocotillo before.  I use to got to the Laughlin and Parker races to watch them.  This would be a cool truck to cruise around and hit some offroad areas at the same time.  I was wondering if you think this truck could make it to China wall or the flag pole ?

4WD?

EDIT

NM, looks 2WD.  Flag pole shouldn't be a problem, and China Wall from Gecko side you can make it.  Biggest problem is getting that pig unstuck if something happened. :bigrin

Edited by Rockwood

I was talking to the dad (illinoisvalleyleasing) at the drags over thanksgiving, he was telling me his son had crashed the truck and already had his eye on a new truck.  They sure have fun with these things.  have fun!

9 hours ago, Rockwood said:

4WD? Nope. 2Wd. 

EDIT

NM, looks 2WD.  Flag pole shouldn't be a problem, and China Wall from Gecko side you can make it.  Biggest problem is getting that pig unstuck if something happened. :bigrin     

Very true.  The pics make the truck look small.  But at 20' long & a 93" front track width...Its a big beiotch !

5 hours ago, JKsnake603 said:

I was talking to the dad (illinoisvalleyleasing) at the drags over thanksgiving, he was telling me his son had crashed the truck and already had his eye on a new truck.  They sure have fun with these things.  have fun!

Yep.  That's Frank. he's a really good guy.   I felt really bad for his son that weekend. That was his first day driving the truck in Glamis with the new Motor Swap & he just dumped a big sump of coin into it just a few weeks before.   But he did just close a deal on a super bad ass Linked Ford Raptor.   I won't be pushing the truck anywhere close to what they did but at least I know it will handle what I have the balls to throw at it.

Gotta love the sound of a built 6.0 chevy motor.  Can't wait to get this out in the dirt.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1VmaBhrRD_c

Hurry up...

I know.  Its out of my hands right now.  Waiting my turn at the fab shop. He said 2 weeks before he can get it in.  That was a week ago.  

18 minutes ago, stetler said:

I know.  Its out of my hands right now.  Waiting my turn at the fab shop. He said 2 weeks before he can get it in.  That was a week ago.  

I'm not going for Pres Day week.  Stuck working 6 shifts a week till March.  Hopefully I'll get a trip or two to G in March but next planned trip is Easter week in Ocotillo at the Blu In.

Stoked to see the truck getting put together.  Who's doing the work? 

8 hours ago, L.R.S. said:

I'm not going for Pres Day week.  Stuck working 6 shifts a week till March.  Hopefully I'll get a trip or two to G in March but next planned trip is Easter week in Ocotillo at the Blu In.

Stoked to see the truck getting put together.  Who's doing the work? 

Same guy that built my truck bumper.  I tagged him on my IG account.

On 1/27/2017 at 6:56 PM, stetler said:

Very true.  The pics make the truck look small.  But at 20' long & a 93" front track width...Its a big beiotch !

Yep.  That's Frank. he's a really good guy.   I felt really bad for his son that weekend. That was his first day driving the truck in Glamis with the new Motor Swap & he just dumped a big sump of coin into it just a few weeks before.   But he did just close a deal on a super bad ass Linked Ford Raptor.   I won't be pushing the truck anywhere close to what they did but at least I know it will handle what I have the balls to throw at it.

Seemed like great people! he let our little ones sit on the top of his prerunner to watch the drags.  He said it had been a rough weekend all together, his truck was pissing oil when I saw him.

Got the rear doors ripped off,  yanking the front and the back window tomorrow then off to the fab shop on Thursday.  

IMG_9920.JPG

IMG_9922.JPG

IMG_9924.JPG

IMG_9925.JPG

IMG_9927.JPG

U have to cut the cage to swap the cab ?

How are they plaining on leaving the cage intact and remove the body?

13 minutes ago, scotty_ said:

U have to cut the cage to swap the cab ?

Nope

7 minutes ago, Kraut_n_Rice said:

How are they plaining on leaving the cage intact and remove the body?

I'll post up pics during the process but basically the top of the cab and about half way down the side window frames is what's getting cut off. The A pillar and the back pillars next to the rear window will have to get the gussets cut out where it's welded to the cage/cab.  No tubes will have to be cut.  However once the cab is off he's going to weld up any unfinished cage welds that might not of been done before, if any.  

Hard to tell but heres some pics pics of those tie in gussets.  They also welded in the roof light bar mount to the cage and went thru the roof. That will have to be cut out and grounded down. 

IMG_9715.JPG

IMG_9737.JPG

IMG_9738.JPG

IMG_9740.JPG