I have a 2011 RZRs I have the stock tires which did a great job and I don't mind getting stock again but......

1  Is there something better? I ride mainly rocky dirt trails

2 Is there something out there that is a bit taller than stock?

Thanks GD

There are a zillion tires now available for SXS applications. 

Are you planning on keeping stock wheels? Or upgrading? 

Tensors

Just now, saychz316 said:

There are a zillion tires now available for SXS applications. 

Are you planning on keeping stock wheels? Or upgrading? 

keeping stock wheels

ITP's rounded tread design.

I run the ITP Super Cross.

If you get the flat tread Tensors the Race Desert guys recommend buff grind the edges of the tread to save stress on the CV Joints.

Most people don't and seem to be fine. They like the look.

If you check out many of the dirt videos in GD.com you'll see most "radius" their Tensors.

Stay away from truck tires.

Guys in our group have all had really bad results with them. And quickly too.

Especially with the GoodYear AT's.

They easily grenade on SxS's in serious terrain.

Edited by Free Agent

Lost another AT today and it took the wheel with it  

Pic taken about four hours ago:

IMG_1387.JPG

A month back everyone running GY AT's experienced catastrophic failures. No tire issues for those running stock, ITP, or the Radius'd Tensors  on the same route, same speeds all running Rzrs  

Edited by Dune Bandits

Wow! Guess I'll stay away from those ^^^^^ !!!

I drove my Rzr 900 on the street with the Big Horns and thought the AT's would be better but not after seeing that.

1 hour ago, Dune Bandits said:

Lost another AT today and it took the wheel with it  

Pic taken about four hours ago:

IMG_1387.JPG

A month back everyone running GY AT's experienced catastrophic failures. No tire issues for those running stock, ITP, or the Radius'd Tensors  on the same route, same speeds all running Rzrs  

So how does this happen?

6 hours ago, ROBERT L said:

So how does this happen?

The sidewalls on the Truck tires don't hold up like with a SxS tire.

When they give out you're quickly running on the rim, the rim/wheel quickly grenades.

It usually goes like this:

The stock SxS tire goes flat from a simple twig penetrating it like below:

kXKQok5.jpg

So then ya set out to get the toughest tire you can find thinking that will prevent it from happening again.

People turn to the GY AT's, and they experience failures that that wouldn't had they bought a good SxS tire.

The GY AT's are great on the street and smooth trails, but once you hit rough terrain the guys all had trouble.

No feeling like being 20 miles out from camp and 3 or 4 tires grenade.

Stock Rzr tires work pretty good on the dunes.

The good off road tires have such a tight tread pattern some don't run well in the dunes at all. They just spin.

My ITPs don't.

I run FST's in the dunes.

Just my 2 cents worth, other may still swear by them, not at them.

Pit bull tires not holding up either we hear. 

Made by Greenball who stuck it to many of us when their TowMaster trailer tires were experiencing tread separation. 

They refused to give any assistance or help with the problem in any way. 

Google it. 

xKelE5m.jpg

ITP Ultra Cross recommended by most the Race Desert teams.

From just my experiences if you get new wheels insist on those that use the stock Rzr lug nut.

Chrome don't get you home.

Methods with the 6 spline lugs cause more problems for people that I've run across on the trails.

They broke the spline tool, they forgot it, they lost it - none ever replaced it or "what special tool?"

Their you are without the tool, dead in the water, can't get the wheel off.

Some people are very diligent about, many aren't.

Don't be that guy.

Edited by Free Agent

4 hours ago, Free Agent said:

The sidewalls on the Truck tires don't hold up like with a SxS tire.

When they give out you're quickly running on the rim, the rim/wheel quickly grenades.

It usually goes like this:

The stock SxS tire goes flat from a simple twig penetrating it like below:

kXKQok5.jpg

So then ya set out to get the toughest tire you can find thinking that will prevent it from happening again.

People turn to the GY AT's, and they experience failures that that wouldn't had they bought a good SxS tire.

The GY AT's are great on the street and smooth trails, but once you hit rough terrain the guys all had trouble.

No feeling like being 20 miles out from camp and 3 or 4 tires grenade.

Stock Rzr tires work pretty good on the dunes.

The good off road tires have such a tight tread pattern some don't run well in the dunes at all. They just spin.

My ITPs don't.

I run FST's in the dunes.

Just my 2 cents worth, other may still swear by them, not at them.

Thanks a lot for the information. 

ITP Ultracross is a great tire and holds up well.  Lots of the desert race teams run them.  

I just got 32inch arisun aftershocks and raceline wheels for my 17 turbo see if they make a size you like theyve been a great tire

Thanks for all the input everybody

I run tensors, have 1000 miles on them, and they still look great. No weird wearing issues and no mechanical failure from them. Once I decide to get new ones Ill take a look at the 32s. All my riding is primarily dirt. One dune trip and a few snow trips and they've worked great there as well. 

For the record, I run 15" raceline beadlocks and GMZ Ironman tires. 30", 9.50" wide. They are 8 ply DOT approved. They work just fine for me in dirt, but they do suck hard in sand. Stock big horns worked way better in the sand. Not a big deal though, 4 wheel drive gets me out of where ever. I have a complete 28" paddle and razor set up for glamis. 

At this time, there is No need for me to run 32" tires and add extra strain on clutch. Stock is 29" so according to a well trusted source, 30" is just fine. 

Grenaded stock wheel and tire on my second trip with the car, went to the setup I have now. If these tires let me down, I will probably go with Tensor 30". 

Picture is my paddle set up. I will post my dirt tires too.

IMG_2675.JPG

Edited by saychz316

Here is dirt tire set up. And yeah, no fancy splined lug nuts. I had them for one trip. The tool was really soft and twisted bad when you would tighten them. Ditched them and went back to a stock lugs on paddles, and use the raceline deep stock style lugs for dirt tires. Eff those fancy splined lug nuts.

IMG_1800.JPG

Edited by saychz316

Both set ups look great saychz316  :thumbup:

Just now, CRUSTY said:

Both set ups look great saychz316  :thumbup:

Thanks. I Work hard for that car. Damn money pit but my GF loves it to death! 

A few weeks back a taco'd front end.  We couldn't get the wheels off no spline tool. We tried boot legging a tool but NFW.  The owner as well equipped and conscience as ya get. Always seems to have his wheels off for one reason or another, yet no special tool this trip. 

Deep in the bottom of a tight bowl.   How it all happened is another thread for another time but no one was hurt.  

It compounded the retrieval difficulties  and added further damage in the process simply because the sun was setting and we couldn't get the wheels off and had to drag it. 

With the tires dragging a leg bone broke, then the thies, then the neckbone, drumsticks snapped, potatoes and gravy started flowing, every 20 feet it got worse and worse. More broken bones than a bucket of KFC. 

No spline lugs, ever. 

IMG_1391.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

Edited by Dune Bandits

On 4/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, Sand Shark said:

ITP Ultracross is a great tire and holds up well.  Lots of the desert race teams run them.  

It's the one to run from my humble experiences with legit beadlockers.

Beadlocks hold the tire on the rim in rollovers and will often take the blow when you drive over that oddball rock saving the rim. 

Back in the early Rzr 800 days Dave at FST disagreed but now is a believer. 

Cheaper to replace the beadlock ring than a wheel too. 

Edited by Dune Bandits

2 hours ago, saychz316 said:

Here is dirt tire set up. And yeah, no fancy splined lug nuts. I had them for one trip. The tool was really soft and twisted bad when you would tighten them. Ditched them and went back to a stock lugs on paddles, and use the raceline deep stock style lugs for dirt tires. Eff those fancy splined lug nuts.

IMG_1800.JPG

Nice set up.  Are those the Ivan Stewart tires?

25 minutes ago, Sand Shark said:

Nice set up.  Are those the Ivan Stewart tires?

Yes sir. Made by GMZ. 8 ply DOT approved.

A Rzr can tow a Rzr across some difficult terrain. 

Im figuring out a hitch reciever with a 2' long hitch with a hook on the end so next time simply lift or jack the Rzr up on the other Rzrs hitch/hook and tow it off. 

It might work and certainly worth a try. Dragging / retrieving can cause more damages that the accident did.