L.R.S.

New aluminum body by KATG Motorsports

I've had my dunebuggy.com Sidewinder for almost two years now.  It's been a work in progress and after our Vet's Day, Thanksgiving and New Years trips I was really motivated to start making it 'mine' ascetically. I had to have my fuel cell rebuilt which would be 6-8 weeks.  So while the car was not driveable I called Adam at KATG Motorsports to discuss a new hood. I already had the 'stock' fiberglass hood that came with the car but after countless hours duning in Glamis this season I knew the big hood had to go.  It really blocks a lot of what's in front of me, especially when transitioning over the lip of a dune.  It's super unsafe and needed to change.

20150713_145315.jpg

20161018_163848.jpg

The hood came with the car but had never been installed.  The side panels were also on the car but I did some bead rolling to give them some 'character'.

20161021_214633.jpg

Here's some other dunebuggy.com cars I've found on the interweb.  If the car is your I hope you don't mind me posting the pic.

2016030495120341.jpg

post-263-1134699623_thumb.jpg

p94437n1.jpg

I actually like the hood on these cars, especially with with Infinity headlights installed.  That was the plan for my car.  I know 5 people that have this exact same chassis and have run into numerous people in Glamis with them as well. So I decided I wanted something different.  

KATG Motorsports was able to get me on his schedule the following week and planned to knock out the hood quick.  His shop is always packed which I got to see first hand when I delivered my car to him.  Adam and I discussed what I was looking for in a new hood.  I just wanted lower and narrow.  I didn't need the fenders like my fiberglass hood had.  We also discussed doing new side panels.  I said if he had some ideas and the time then I'd love to get them done as well.  A few days later Adam started texting me pics of his design.  

I can't say I was shocked to see what Adam and his crew had come up with because I've known him for several years and seen lots of his work up close.  His 'big body' cars are works of art.  But I was shocked to see his design being put on MY CAR!  

44034.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

I asked Adam to raise the side panels a few inches above the mid-rail.  I never liked how the mid-rail up was taller then the mid-rail down.  Always looked weird to me.  But I did like the big ass opening to get in/out.  Adam sent me a pic of the sides and asked how I liked it.  I said bro- I'm a big guy and need to be able to get in/out.  Adam, being of normal size, climbed in and text me right back and said he was taking 2" off the height cause it wasn't comfortable for him.  I was glad to hear that and the pic he sent was much better.  That's when he hit me up and asked if he could do a 'little' 3D paneling on the side.  I put my trust in him and said 'do it'.  The end result is really really nice.

5.jpeg

More please.....:moof:

I did a little Instagram stalking on #katgmotorsports.  I had seen a pic of a car he did with a light bar built into the hood and I really liked it.  I and found the pic I was looking for and sent it to Adam.  He said he was going to ask if I wanted some sort of relief in the hood and thought about a LED bar too.  I told him to put the widest bar he could fit.  

43913.jpeg

Unfortunately because of the big ass bulkhead on my chassis Adam could only fit a 10" LED bar in the hood.  I was totally fine with that.  He ordered one up from MGM/FRP here on the board.

45433.jpeg

The hood and 3D panels were really starting to come together.  You can just see the outline for the relief in the hood and light bar position.

45759.jpeg

45760.jpeg

45859.jpeg

The 3D sides needed something to help finish them off.  Adam asked if he could do a new firewall and I, of course, said yes.

6.jpeg

43858.jpeg

45863.jpeg

He also added to the under side of the 3D panel.

46012.jpeg

46003.jpeg

So well thought out.  The design is so simple and clean and really flows well.

Edited by L.R.S.
Add pics

Looks much better!

I also asked Adam to change up the rear light box on the car.  It wasn't exactly built for this chassis but I had it sitting on the shelf so I used it.

46007.jpeg

46008.jpeg

Screenshot_20170401-233747.jpg

20170331_121740.jpg

I didn't have a chance to grab the rear LED brake/tail light bar yet. I should be able to get one this week and get it installed before my Easter trip in two weeks.

46098.jpeg

Once I got the car home I was really able to see the amount of detail Adam and his crew put into my car.  It's been said a million times but pics truly do not do this car justice.

20170331_143716.jpg

The raised side need to be strong enough to kind of sit on and slide into the car.  Adam built a double wall panel secured by two Dzus buttons on the inside.  

20170401_130523.jpg

The outer side panel sits on top of this inner panel and both are Dzus'd together.

20170331_143721.jpg

I didn't even notice this till the second day I had the car home.  The inner panel is notched around the seat due to them being too wide for the rear of this car.  Really well thought out.

These are my new favorite pics of my car-

46078.jpeg

46089.jpeg

It has been an honor to have KATG Moprotsports work on my car and I can't say enough good things about the process.  As busy as they are Adam sent me pics throughout the build and asked for my input when needed.  He always had an idea of the direction he wanted to go and knowing how good he is with these designs I always told him to do it!  After Easter I have a new LS7 to install in my car, which is why Adam didn't do the engine tins.  I will also not use my 'stock' radiator and fuel cell shroud so I can install a larger radiator.  Once that's done the car will go back to KATG for more work.

46097.jpeg

Looks sooooo much nicer, cleaner lines...

Wow it looks way better with the raised side pannel and new hood, very nice job on the tin work

talk about total transformation.. Looks like a totally different car. Are those 37's or 35's on your car?

Car looks great Jeff!! 

Wow, very clean and nice.  Love the hood and recessed side panels.

I saw this the day Jeff picked it up (luckily he wasn't there yet and I 'did something' to the steering wheel without him knowing).

Adam and crew really did knock the fugly off this car! I saw pics on IG before I got there and Jeff is right, pics are good but not near what it looks like in person. I especially like the simplicity of the tins. Truth be told I am not much of a 'big body' car guy - though I do appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into them - this one is 'simple' but there IS a lot of detail once you start looking.

Well done Adam! This has me thinking about redoing my Potter,,,

I can truly appreciate how much work this is, EXCELLENT work, looks great

What a difference!!

Well done KATG from design to finish you knocked it out of the park!

Looks great Jeff! How do like crawling in and out of it?

Bitchin :sraptor:

Looks 100x better Jeff. Nice work KA

100x better looks great

Best looking DB car out there now. Congrats Jeff.

Good call on raising the mid bar panels....changes the entire look.

Jeff have you held the new headers up where they go? I have a feeling you will need to remodel that tube angling down towards the rear. Car really does look a lot better..Kinda like a high dollar ride should look..

Here's a picture of when they were on my car..

C6847EF4-FA25-48F1-BE20-EEF7613717FE.thumb.JPG.d77eb9eb56ac88b0702d3466d4e39809.JPG