Sign in to follow this  
JDMeister

Road Rage, Worth It?

5 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

I am never a dick to a bike rider. Unfortunately, the reverse cannot be said. To a biker, I am a dick if I do not pull out of my lane into the next to give them room. I have been driving down the slow lane pulling a trailer, and the biker(s) have been trying to slide through between lanes 3&4. Revving their unrestricted exhaust to intimidate me into moving out of their way. But oddly enough, my horn when they are at my front fender is an affront to their delicate aural sensibilities. Either that or I am automatically #1 in their book. 

There also should be a width limit on motorcycles that split lanes, say Maximum Width 48".  You get the bars and the bags and some of those bikes are pretty damn wide!

Not all bikers are angels...that's for sure.  But...my experience is there are more drivers out there that hate bikes than there are bikes that hate cars.

Unrestricted pipes?  CA has a law they put on the books back in 2012 banning those.  My bike is 2008.  BUT...loud pipes save lives.  At least people know I'm there.

Over sized bikes?  Agreed.  My Ducati wasn't good for commuting/lane splitting...I sold it.  It sat higher and had wide bars...at truck mirror height....No thanks.

I guess if they are illegal, then no one has them. You are so right!

We all have to watch and maintain our own little safe zone. 6" at over 10 mph hour is NOT a safe zone. Revving motors to 'let someone know your location' is not polite behavior. It certainly isn't going to win you any friends. Hmmm... could that be part of the problem? 

I have never seen this kind of anger between riders and drivers anywhere but where they say you can split lanes. There is a reason for lane dividers, and they should apply to every one. Remember back to Drivers Ed again, how you are to signal a lane change? Oh yah, unless you only have 2 wheels, then you can swerve all over like the drunken sailor, nary a blinker used, because Race Bike!

Edit:

Loud Horns Save Lives!

Edited by WLD-OTZ

11 minutes ago, WLD-OTZ said:

I guess if they are illegal, then no one has them. You are so right!

We all have to watch and maintain our own little safe zone. 6" at over 10 mph hour is NOT a safe zone. Revving motors to 'let someone know your location' is not polite behavior. It certainly isn't going to win you any friends. Hmmm... could that be part of the problem? 

I have never seen this kind of anger between riders and drivers anywhere but where they say you can split lanes. There is a reason for lane dividers, and they should apply to every one. Remember back to Drivers Ed again, how you are to signal a lane change? Oh yah, unless you only have 2 wheels, then you can swerve all over like the drunken sailor, nary a blinker used, because Race Bike!

Edit:

Loud Horns Save Lives!

Being a Safety Officer in my past work life...I can tell you more bikes get run over/down by being sandwiched between two vehicles.  I never once saw a report of an accident that happened from lane splitting (not to say it doesn't happen, but I never had a case come across my desk).

AND...Lane splitting is legal here in CA.  They just had a big vote on it...they voted to keep it in place.  There are a lot of laws I don't agree with but my opinion doesn't amount to much in opposition now does it?

As far as other laws not being enforced...it's not your or the private citizen's job to enforce them.  If you have a problem...the report it.  Don't take matters into your own hands and then get pissed when it doesn't go as you planned or expected it to.  

Tough topic as most people who drive cars and truck have never and will never experience what it is like to ride a motorcycle. There are idiots on both sides ( drivers and riders ). Here in AZ, I would never split lanes even if it were legal. Drivers here are focused on everything but the road. I have had my fair share of riding in the carpool lane at 75mph and having idiots jump out of stopped traffic into the carpool lane nearly hitting me just to get 3 cars ahead and jump back into traffic. It got to be such a regular thing, I started clamping on the go pro for added insurance for once I do get hit. 

Now I have had the occasional car cut me off or change lanes right into me and you can see by their reaction afterwards that they clearly did not see you ( whether they looked or not ?) and by the look on their faces you know they will be paying attention next time they change lanes. But when you speed up next to them to say "hey, I am sort of in this lane right now" and they flip you off or swerve at you, then you get the riders who like to kick doors or swing the whip with the pad lock on the end at the car. 

Each lane is made up of three motorcycle lanes, left, center, right. Now, if I am ridding in the carpool lane which is far left for most states. I will be riding in the right side of the lane. This is for multiple reasons, displaying ownership of that lane, more visible in someones mirror, and gives you room to escape when cars come over with out seeing you. SO, When I see a dually truck veer over to put his fender in my way.......what possible reason would you have for that ? 

1 minute ago, i8sand said:

Tough topic as most people who drive cars and truck have never and will never experience what it is like to ride a motorcycle. There are idiots on both sides ( drivers and riders ). Here in AZ, I would never split lanes even if it were legal. Drivers here are focused on everything but the road. I have had my fair share of riding in the carpool lane at 75mph and having idiots jump out of stopped traffic into the carpool lane nearly hitting me just to get 3 cars ahead and jump back into traffic. It got to be such a regular thing, I started clamping on the go pro for added insurance for once I do get hit. 

Now I have had the occasional car cut me off or change lanes right into me and you can see by their reaction afterwards that they clearly did not see you ( whether they looked or not ?) and by the look on their faces you know they will be paying attention next time they change lanes. But when you speed up next to them to say "hey, I am sort of in this lane right now" and they flip you off or swerve at you, then you get the riders who like to kick doors or swing the whip with the pad lock on the end at the car. 

Each lane is made up of three motorcycle lanes, left, center, right. Now, if I am ridding in the carpool lane which is far left for most states. I will be riding in the right side of the lane. This is for multiple reasons, displaying ownership of that lane, more visible in someones mirror, and gives you room to escape when cars come over with out seeing you. SO, When I see a dually truck veer over to put his fender in my way.......what possible reason would you have for that ? 

When I started riding on the street, I swore I would never lane split.  I was doing it within the first couple days.  The "legal" ability to get away from people who want to kill you is a great thing.  I will say when lane splitting...my spidey sense is way high.

I thought the main reason lane splitting was allowed or voted in was for the air cooled motorcycles. They cannot sit stopped in traffic without overheating. The behavior of riders who utilize this ability is one issue. No reason to do 60+ mph between cars, trucks, trailers etc when everyone else is stopped in lanes.

7 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

I thought the main reason lane splitting was allowed or voted in was for the air cooled motorcycles. They cannot sit stopped in traffic without overheating. The behavior of riders who utilize this ability is one issue. No reason to do 60+ mph between cars, trucks, trailers etc when everyone else is stopped in lanes.

People argue a ton of reasons.  I have never read anything in the law stating why it is legal.

And yes...agreed.  Lane splitting over a certain speed is not smart but again...CA has never defined "how to" lane split.  I use a 10mph over rule up to 35mph.  But that's my rule.  Have I gone faster?  Yes.  BUT...just because I make a short lane change, doesn't mean I'm lane splitting, just means I'm trying to get around someone and have a small window to do it. 

I'm very glad to see people giving motorcyclists a lot of room on the 52 hwy in the mornings. A lot of the drivers naturally drive over on the left or right side of the lane, leaving a good 4 or 5' between the #1 and #2 lanes. The ones who drive in the middle usually move over when they see a motorcyclist coming. I don't drive that fwy every day, but the days I have, I've never seen any cars crowding lane splitters, or lane splitters driving offensively, thank God!

I used to ride a dual sport on the street and got hit or nearly hit several times, fortunately no serious injuries. Ever since, I'm always looking out for motorcyclists to make sure I'm not changing lanes in front of one. The ones that really worry me would be some guy doing 150 mph, weaving through traffic. As much as I'd want to, I don't think I could see that far behind me to protect either of us from a collision. 

1 hour ago, i8sand said:

Edited by WLD-OTZ

What i wanna know is, why is it unacceptable to tailgate in a car but 90% of motorcycles ride 1' off my rear bumper 

4 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

What i wanna know is, why is it unacceptable to tailgate in a car but 90% of motorcycles ride 1' off my rear bumper 

Rainbow sticker :dunno:

5 minutes ago, sausage450r said:

If they do, they're stupid.

6 hours ago, Mac said:

And you're why I kick cars and smash mirrors....  Then can't catch me... :sha:

AHAHAHAHAHA.  Good luck with that.  You would lose.  I don't need to catch you, I just need to "nudge you".

Have you ever heard the saying "he with the most lugnuts wins."?  Well I have a bunch of them.

Edited by lincster

3 hours ago, i8sand said:

Each lane is made up of three motorcycle lanes, left, center, right. Now, if I am ridding in the carpool lane which is far left for most states. I will be riding in the right side of the lane. This is for multiple reasons, displaying ownership of that lane, more visible in someones mirror, and gives you room to escape when cars come over with out seeing you. SO, When I see a dually truck veer over to put his fender in my way.......what possible reason would you have for that

And what possible reason do you have to ride 3" off of the painted line?  I doubt a good one.

I understand motorcycles riding in the right "portion" of a lane, but lanes are pretty wide.

Even 1' off of the painted line and you have plenty of room to escape someone moving over. 

1 hour ago, Grease Monkey said:

Rainbow sticker :dunno:

I was heading home from work one day, starting in DHS on the 10... headed westbound. Around Banning, a motorcycle with two riders came up on my rear at 80 mph. I was in the #2 lane, they were in the #3 lane. He approached at a higher speed than me and once he got into my blind spot, he sat there at the same speed as me. There were very few cars around us. If I slowed down, he slowed down. Then he would sped up to about 90... then slow down and I'd catch up to him and he'd sit right next to my back door. At this point, I'm already irritated. I've heard all the complaints by bike owners and this dick is creating them for himself. The 79 is coming up... I'm hoping he gets into the 60 and continues when I exit. Hell no. So he sits in front of me at the stoplight in Beaumont, turning left to go down the 79 into Hemet. He weaves through traffic over the bridge and is the first guy in  line that's splitting in all directions by the gas stations... "ahhh eff*... he's going straight".

Light turns green, he throttled it ahead... way ahead. We get over the rise, headed down to the dump and here's Mr. Blindspot raising at 50-55 (?) mph... everyone had to go around him. A little bit past the dump, here comes dude, weaving through those who just went around him and I'm luckily making it to the front of the back. I get in front and the guy starts hugging my goddamn bumper again! I speed up and hit the hill at 85... make the green arrow at Ramona expressway and proceed to Warren. Mothereff*er speeds up AGAIN and is on my damn bumper. NO ONE AROUND! Right about now is when my brake pedal would normally be mysteriously pressed... but... he had a passenger and "I've changed" (Ha). I hold my rage in and wave him past and he stays there. For miles. I take my super secret shortcut and lost him. Ha ha ha... I'm kidding. He weaves around traffic when I'm at the light in Winchester and we both end up at the 74 light... he heads into Temecula... I takena right to the 15 (Newport). Relief. Finally. Not gonna have to check this fool who can't seem to figure it the eff* out. Ha ha ha... I'm kidding. 

On the 15 south, this eff*er pops out at the Winchester ramp and... anyone wanna take a guess? HE RIDES MY eff*ING BUMPER! Now the brakes get tapped. Dude pulls up next to me and stares at me (on and off) from about the 79 to Rainbow... next to me in traffic the entire time. He stays inches away from me all the way to gopher canyon... no matter what lane I'm in or how fast I'm going. I didn't do shit to the guy ever (the old me would have pushed him over on his bike at the Beaumont exit on the 10) and he's on my ass for the majority of the 80 mile commute home. 

The mentality escapes my understanding and I feel no sympathy if he gets hurt or dies one day. These are the guys that eff* it up for those of you that ride. It was like trying to swat a fly away but I'd go to jail if I succeeded. 

Why i effing hate motorcycle riders. This guy just passed (slowly) between me in the slow lane and the car innthe fast lane next to me @75mph after riding in my blind spot for 1/4 mile 2 ft off my l/r bumper. Now he is infront of me 2ft off the car in the fast lanes blind spot and splitting between. Eff anyone who rides like this.  If you get creamed you deserve it and the roads are safer without youIMG_6409.thumb.JPG.ad86c0d1ce4386f458b6c0d3e40bb791.JPGo

1 hour ago, sausage450r said:

Why i effing hate motorcycle riders. This guy just passed (slowly) between me in the slow lane and the car innthe fast lane next to me @75mph after riding in my blind spot for 1/4 mile 2 ft off my l/r bumper. Now he is infront of me 2ft off the car in the fast lanes blind spot and splitting between. Eff anyone who rides like this.  If you get creamed you deserve it and the roads are safer without youIMG_6409.thumb.JPG.ad86c0d1ce4386f458b6c0d3e40bb791.JPGo

I watched a moron on a bike earlier this week splitting lanes up in Corona slam his fist on some ladys hood for no reason. He swerved trying to cut lanes and almost hit her, then shook his head at her, hammer fisted her hood, and took off. She could not even see him and she was perfectly centered in the fast lane just like everyone else behind her. He got squirly and was pissed at her for absolutely no reason.

We all get our road rage moments and im good with it ill do lots of hand signals but never get out of the car thats when things can go wrong.Ive done some things to get  a finger and i know it.IMO as long as its hand signals its all good youll move on and not be in trouble

23 minutes ago, 77charger said:

We all get our road rage moments and im good with it ill do lots of hand signals but never get out of the car thats when things can go wrong.Ive done some things to get  a finger and i know it.IMO as long as its hand signals its all good youll move on and not be in trouble

:fof:

:biggrin:

8 hours ago, sausage450r said:

Did it take you 6 months to finally be able to document it and revive this thread? That's passion on another level. :sha:

I always liked this one. 

11 hours ago, Chingon619 said:

Did it take you 6 months to finally be able to document it and revive this thread? That's passion on another level. :sha:

This is one of the rate times a motorcycle is going 75 and not 90. Plenty of time to get a photo on my phone. If it were every now and then it would just be life. But reality is 75% (fair conservative estimate) of motorcycles i encounter on the freeway ride like complete aholes

Spending at least 5 hrs a day in traffic. I’ve notice the people on bikes seem to think everyone should part the seas for them to pass. I think it’s funny that now the trend is to start revving their engine to red line.    They do that next to me  and I may or may not hit the air horn to scare the shiat out of them. 

On 12/16/2017 at 9:30 AM, ROBERT L said:

Spending at least 5 hrs a day in traffic. I’ve notice the people on bikes seem to think everyone should part the seas for them to pass. I think it’s funny that now the trend is to start revving their engine to red line.    They do that next to me  and I may or may not hit the air horn to scare the shiat out of them. 

I tried that as well, but for some reason, a Camry horn just doesn't seem to get across the intimidation level I am trying to deliver.