Punchdrunk Monkey

Bringing a car from AZ to CA

I bought an offroad car from AZ, I had it titled/registered in AZ (street and off-road). It has a AZ vin tag/plate. This was about 6 months ago. I live in CA but the AZ thing seemed like the easiest way to get the car into my name as there were a few quirks with the reg/title. I also wasn't sure of my plan for the car. The car has been apart since I bought it so that I could give it a full off-season prep. So I haven't done anything with the registration/insurance.

Now fast forward 6 months and its almost time to start driving the car. With the AZ plates, I need to get AZ insurance. I've gotten quotes and it is expensive. On top of that, I live in CA and will be using the car in CA and Baja. I want to bring the car (registration and title) into CA so that it is legit. 

I am going to stop by the El Cajon CHP (without car) in the next couple of days and ask a few generic questions about this. I do not know if I need to get a CHP check and then go to the DMV. I am hoping I do not run into CARB issues?? I have a bill of sale and title (AZ). I will be registering it as a CA green sticker.  I have heard if you tell them it is for "racing purposes" I will get a green sticker, not red sticker. Are there any other tip/tricks? Is it easier to use a DMV service? If so, any recommendations on who to use? 

Do it the other way.

Go to AAA and get the registration moved to Ca.  Or, a second party registration service, one that can verify VIN.

Never go to CHP first, as they will not do anything without paying DMV first. (And may put you on the stolen vehicle watch list.)

Last choice, make an  appointment with DMV.

Edited by JDMeister

3 hours ago, JDMeister said:

Do it the other way.

Go to AAA and get the registration moved to Ca.  Or, a second party registration service, one that can verify VIN.

Never go to CHP first, as they will not do anything without paying DMV first. (And may put you on the stolen vehicle watch list.)

Last choice, make an  appointment with DMV.

This ^^^^^^^^^

think if you don't have it in your name for a year you have to pay sales tax in Ca. 

AAA will not do out of state transfers. You will need to have CHP or DMV official do a Vin Verification form and then pay the fees. I tried to use AAA in order to avoid going to the DMV, but no go..... If less than a year and a day, you will have to pay sales tax to the great state of CA. Double check to be sure, they keep changing it so they can get more money. It used to be 30 days. Good luck on the Red or Green sticker thing....I don't think they even know.....   

Find a registration service company and avoid all headaches!! You can do it all in one stop and never have to go to the CHP or the DMV.

If you are in the LA area I know of a great one that helped me get my daughters car completed that was out of the DMV system. Cost a few extra bucks, but totally worth it.

Even if insurance is expensive in AZ; at least it is available.  Depending on the specs of the car, insurance in CA can be difficult, expensive or impossible to get.

Others have mentioned the year/tax deal. Maybe I will keep it in AZ for at least a year. 

I do have AAA but I don't think they do state to state stuff. I would gladly pay a service to do this, if it keeps me out of the DMV. I just don't know how many of them know offroad stuff. I'll check RDC for references too (San Diego area).

I guess at the minimum I will need to get a CA out of state use sticker. Do I need to go to the DMV for these??  

Let us know how it works out.  I though only CHP could do VIN verifications?

~jw

Lisa's Mobile Registration Service, (619) 571-8333. She took care of my buggy a few years ago, so she definitely knows off road stuff.

39 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

Lisa's Mobile Registration Service, (619) 571-8333. She took care of my buggy a few years ago, so she definitely knows off road stuff.

I tried using her in the past (from another referral) but she is hard to get a hold of and ever harder to get her to show up when she says she will.

39 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

Lisa's Mobile registration did mine also she is awesome does all the work for you

38 minutes ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

I tried using her in the past (from another referral) but she is hard to get a hold of and ever harder to get her to show up when she says she will.

Can't speak to that as I've only used her twice in the last 10 years, both times she got it done and saved me some money and quite a bit of time. If you end up doing it on your own though I would suggest not just walking into the CHP office in El Cajon. They're not exactly welcoming and eager to take care of you.

5 hours ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

Others have mentioned the year/tax deal. Maybe I will keep it in AZ for at least a year. 

I do have AAA but I don't think they do state to state stuff. I would gladly pay a service to do this, if it keeps me out of the DMV. I just don't know how many of them know offroad stuff. I'll check RDC for references too (San Diego area).

I guess at the minimum I will need to get a CA out of state use sticker. Do I need to go to the DMV for these??  

Nope, your local motorcycle dealer should carry them, I think they run $30. 

If you have currant AZ plates that have a sticker that has an expiration date on them you DO NOT NEED TO BUY a out of state sticker. They are only for states that do not have a registration that expires.

You might not be able to drive it on the street but street legal in AZ gets you off-road legal in Ca.

7 hours ago, Punchdrunk Monkey said:

I get one out at Glamis every year 

Edited by DEV'S RZR

I just found this.......

SUMMARY TABLE

Type of OHV Identification Legal in CA? Legal in AZ?
AZ RV Plate (title plate) /
No AZ OHV Decal
AZ RV Plate Image
Starting 7/1/09 must purchase CA OHV Nonresident Permit (valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use)

Note: Operators of vehicles over 1800 lbs are NOT able to purchase an AZ OHV Decal so they must purchase a CA OHV Nonresident Permit for OFF-HIGHWAY use in CA.
Vehicles under 1800 lbs: NOT VALID for ON- or OFF-HIGHWAY use. Must have an AZ OHV Decal starting 1/1/09.

Vehicles over 1800 lbs: Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use in unincorporated areas on dirt roads not maintained by state, city, town, or counites of the state; or roads / trails on federal land that do not require vehicle registration (street legal / licensed). Recreational Use Permit needed if operated on State Trust Land.
AZ RV Plate (title plate) / Valid AZ OHV Decal
AZ RV Plate with Decal Image
Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use. Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use in unincorporated areas on dirt roads not maintained by state, city, town, or counties of the state. Note: operators of over 1800 lbs are NOT able to purchase an AZ OHV Decal. Recreation Use Permit needed to stage (park) on State Trust land.
AZ MC Plate (small registration plate). Operator pays full registration fees. 
No AZ OHV Decal.
AZ MC Plate image
Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use. (Exception for AZ registered motorcycles used primarily on-highway area valid for ON- or OFF-HIGHWAY use*) Valid for ON- or OFF-HIGHWAY use for vehicles not requireed to hae the OHV Decal.** Recreational Use Permit needed if operated on State Trust Land.
AZ MC Plate (small registration plate). Operator may pay reduced VLT. 
Valid OHV Decal.
AZ MC Plate with OHV Sticker Image
Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use. (Exception for AZ registered motorcycles used primarily on-highway are valid for ON- and OFF-HIGHWAY use*) Valid for ON- or OFF-HIGHWAY use.** Note: Operators of vehicles over 1800 lbs are NOT able to purchase an AZ OHV Decal. These vehicles will display the full sized license plate. Recreation Use Permit needed to stage (park) on State Trust Land.
CA Green or Red Identification Sticker 
(CA resident)
Green and Red Stickers Image
Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use. Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use for a maximum of 30 consecutive days.
CA OHV Nonresident Permit
Nonresiden OHV Use Permit Image
Valid ONLY for OFF-HIGHWAY use. NOT VALID for ON- or OFF-HIGHWAY use.