Grease Monkey

Planning on ordering 2018 2500 HD LTZ

It's time and after some research it seems the new model bugs (2017) have been worked out.

Need some opinions from the masses.

Plans:

Lift 3-4 inches. Is Cognito the way to go?

Wheels and tires. 33-34 overall. Any cutting of the body or bumper needed with this new model?

Amp retractable steps. This still a good choice? 

Then the shocks. Fox or king for the look and feel. 

Truck can be ordered this weekend. Built and delivered in 8 weeks or less. I've never lifted a truck and don't own any flat billed hats so would appreciate any guidance. I also don't want to bring a ladder or step stool to get in my truck. That's why I'm limiting the lift to three inch. Should provide a clean look and function.

LMK.

Thanks.

6" lift on 35's.  Cognito are great kits but expensive. Amp steps still the best.  Shocks are probably a toss up for that truck.  Congrats though it's gonna be a sweet truck either way.  Post some pics.

After tons of research I decided that cognito is the way to go. So I finally pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago. I just lifted my 2500hd and can honestly say it rides better than it did before. Cognito doesn't offer a 3 inch tho (at least for my 08dmax) so I went with their 4/6- which is a 4 inch that can be "cranked up" to a 6 in the front if you wanted that flat-biller higher in the front look. I run the 4 inch and it sits level and looks awesome. 

The package I ordered was about 3400 bucks shipped and was the non torsion bar drop lift with the boxed upper arms and fox shocks. It looks GREAT. I'm running 18s on 35s but had to do slight trimming. Not sure how the new fenderwells will be tho. 

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see some pics. I just went through this process and spent hours on the computer trying to figure out what I wanted that looked good but kept that factory ride.

And yes, cognito is more expensive, but I love the way it came out and think they have this lift kit game figured out. 

Either way congrats on the new ride. It should be a great truck! 

Hows the jump up into the truck with the 4/6 lift. Picts would be great

IMO Cognito all the way, pricey but you wont regret it when it comes to maintenance.

AMP rails as well. 

Cognito, and you can go 35's (On Stock Wheels) with a level kit. Aftermarket wheels with the various backspacing you will need to go a little higher. The Cognito with the Fox Shocks will not disappoint. Just spend the money and do it right.

BDS also has a new kit that converts the torsions to a Coil-Over set up. Looks sweet, but have not looked into it much more then the initial launch. Might be something I would consider if I was in the market. The Torsions suck..... 

Depending on the truck, some come with side steps. Mine were the stock ones on the Denali package. I liked them and they worked. Amps are nice too.....

Yeah, the truck will come with steps. I have to choose which ones. Cant order without. Checked Amps website this morning. Its a bit confusing on the diesel 2500's. Looks like steps or brackets need to be modified. Think it may have something to do with the DEF tank. But im just guessing. Honestly I want the 6 inch lift as it just looks bitchen. I just dont want to hate getting in and out of it. I still love my 03 and its just leveled up front. Guess I will make the decision once I own it.

Finally in a position in life to get what I want in a truck.

Very nice Monkey boy 

Going to be badass GM, have you chosen a color yet? 

It would be good to check the adjustability of your 5er hitch when choosing which lift, so you don't have to flip trailer axles.

Make sure to post of pics when it comes. 

Nice...

13 hours ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

After tons of research I decided that cognito is the way to go. So I finally pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago. I just lifted my 2500hd and can honestly say it rides better than it did before. Cognito doesn't offer a 3 inch tho (at least for my 08dmax) so I went with their 4/6- which is a 4 inch that can be "cranked up" to a 6 in the front if you wanted that flat-biller higher in the front look. I run the 4 inch and it sits level and looks awesome. 

The package I ordered was about 3400 bucks shipped and was the non torsion bar drop lift with the boxed upper arms and fox shocks. It looks GREAT. I'm running 18s on 35s but had to do slight trimming. Not sure how the new fenderwells will be tho. 

Let me know if you have any questions or want to see some pics. I just went through this process and spent hours on the computer trying to figure out what I wanted that looked good but kept that factory ride.

And yes, cognito is more expensive, but I love the way it came out and think they have this lift kit game figured out. 

Either way congrats on the new ride. It should be a great truck! 

You say you ordered the kit. Did you do the lift install yourself?

Yes please on the photos.

AFAIK, AMP steps aren't available yet for the '17 or '18. New design on the DEF tank.  Buddy has a '17 and has the stock steps and is waiting on the AMP Steps. The stock steps sit too close to the truck IMO. Amp steps drop down and out at least 3-4" more.   If you have ever had the AMP steps you won't want anything else.  

19 minutes ago, tdubbs said:

AFAIK, AMP steps aren't available yet for the '17 or '18. New design on the DEF tank.  Buddy has a '17 and has the stock steps and is waiting on the AMP Steps. The stock steps sit too close to the truck IMO. Amp steps drop down and out at least 3-4" more.   If you have ever had the AMP steps you won't want anything else.  

That pretty much answered what I was seeing online.  

11 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

You say you ordered the kit. Did you do the lift install yourself?

Yes please on the photos.

I ordered the kit from NorCal truck and they shipped it to me but I had a shop put it on where I get all my work done on cars/trucks/sxs 

Worked out nice because the guy who put it on wanted my old fuel wheels on 33s for his hd2500. So we worked a trade for the wheels and tires and he installed the lift and took care of the allignment for me. 

Gettin in the truck is noticeably higher. 4 inches of lift plus the 35 inch tires put me up 6 total inches higher than what I had prior. I'm relatively "young" and tall myself so I have no issues getting in. But I will be buying the steps that "retract" to make it more convenient. I love the look without the steps so the retracting ones would suit me better since they're only visible when a door is open to help me get in. I'll dig up the info on the steps I liked and will post later with some more pics. 

Heres a picture from yesterday out on the lake- I'll post more later when I'm home to show better angles of how she sits. 

IMG_3390.JPG

Should have got a Ford! They come from the factory with fold down steps! lol

Nice truck.

3 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Should have got a Ford! They come from the factory with fold down steps! lol

Nice truck.

Let's see your new truck. 

Just now, Grease Monkey said:

Let's see your new truck. 

They have to go get it and put a spray in bed liner. Might cancel the bed liner. Are they worth it? I've never had one. 2017 F350 Platinum. Might get it Tuesday or so.

Just now, Air450 said:

They have to go get it and put a spray in bed liner. Might cancel the bed liner. Are they worth it? I've never had one. 2017 F350 Platinum. Might get it Tuesday or so.

If your drilling and cutting for a fifth wheel or goose neck later I would wait until that's done . But yes I like my spray in liner.

Just now, Grease Monkey said:

If your drilling and cutting for a fifth wheel or goose neck later I would wait until that's done . But yes I like my spray in liner.

Has the factory 5'ver installed

Just an FYI, Gary Sanson passed away yesterday.

8 minutes ago, Air450 said:

Just an FYI, Gary Sanson passed away yesterday.

Dam, haven't heard much about him for a while. He ran the Pilikia. 

23 hours ago, Tatum&Honda4thewin said:

I ordered the kit from NorCal truck and they shipped it to me but I had a shop put it on where I get all my work done on cars/trucks/sxs 

Worked out nice because the guy who put it on wanted my old fuel wheels on 33s for his hd2500. So we worked a trade for the wheels and tires and he installed the lift and took care of the allignment for me. 

Gettin in the truck is noticeably higher. 4 inches of lift plus the 35 inch tires put me up 6 total inches higher than what I had prior. I'm relatively "young" and tall myself so I have no issues getting in. But I will be buying the steps that "retract" to make it more convenient. I love the look without the steps so the retracting ones would suit me better since they're only visible when a door is open to help me get in. I'll dig up the info on the steps I liked and will post later with some more pics. 

Heres a picture from yesterday out on the lake- I'll post more later when I'm home to show better angles of how she sits. 

IMG_3390.JPG

Looks great! I'm looking at the 4" cognito for my "14 dually. Did you have to lift the rear to make it level?

Congrats on the new truck.  I bought my 06 Dmax brand new in Oct 05 and have done a ton of mods over the years.  I did +3" lift spindles but hated that I lost turning radius.  Pulled them off and installed a +6" ProComp lift.  Way better then the spindles.  With some trimming of the bumper I can clear 37" tires.  I drove a bone stock '15 2500HD to Washington state and back for a transport job and fell in love with all the lastest features but mostly the fact that it was stock.  I'm done with lifted trucks.  If I do replace my 06 at the most I'll do a leveling kit on whatever I get.  AMP Research steps are the best and hopefully they get them figured out for the '17 and '18 models.  As far as Cognito- I installed a set of their UCA's and had noting but problems.  Truck couldn't be aligned properly. I called Cognito and they were no help at all saying that their factory replacement dual shock mount UCA's wouldn't work with my ProComp kit.  Then why did my factory GM UCA's work?  I pulled them off and went back to factory UCA's with a Fabtech bolt on dual shock mount and haven't had any problems.  I run FOX shocks but only because I got a deal on them.  If I got the same deal on King's then that's what would be on the truck.