JGSturbo

New build in progress, The Handful

29 minutes ago, JGSturbo said:

jgsturbo.com is one of my DBAs , Also manufacturing the Bend-Tech Dragon (A150) http://www.bend-tech.com/product_infos/bt_dragon.html

Also JGSFAB does powder coating, plasma cutting, etc.

Every project is production ready "just in case" ;)

Oh shit, nice! :thumbup:

handful38.jpg
Time to set the 5.3L up with turbo goodies.
handful39.jpg
handful40.jpg
handful41.jpg
handful42.jpg

handful45.jpg
handful46.jpg
Drilling those rotors sucked a bit even on the CNC, they like to chatter on the chamfer.
Fuel cell is a little more of tight fit then intended but its coming together. Got to get my Dragon fully running before I can do the bracing, mount the steering / pedal, etc.

on the turbo motor, I would also add the inconell ex valves worth the money , 

27 minutes ago, J Alper said:

on the turbo motor, I would also add the inconell ex valves worth the money , 

Maybe, I'm going to be 500WHP or less. In the oregon dunes we don't have the acres to do much extended WOT. I'll be mapping on a load cell dyno and the dunes so tuning should be spot-on.

It'll never see hard pack. I'm still working on a setup to make it to the big dunes like Idaho and Glamis.

Ferrea supplies my wastegate valves so we might do a nice motor someday but it will more than likely be a bigger car. This little punk yard pull 5.3 low boost motor will be enough for this little roller skate. 

THe boost is really just because I'm a turbo-head.

handful49.jpg
handful50.jpg
handful51.jpg

Figured out today I got the smaller intercooler, it'll still work and still fits lol.
The intercooler/rad tray bent up very nicely. Got all the coil carrier shocks in.
Need-
a taller set of seat brackets
Pedal/steering cluster mounted
1in bracing
Motor and trans in
Diff mounted
V-drive machined out and mounted
panels cut/mounted
Dash cut/mounted
Turning brakes
Shifter

Then its powder time.

handful52.jpg
IDK what to think about this, I re-CAD'd my spreader and came up with this wider bar...
handful53.jpg
So then I re-ran the geometry every which way and same width.
handful54.jpg
Still the same answer.
It has a 0.03 tie rod length change over 23.8 inch travel.
 New stabilizer is mounted on top of the rack.

Thinking this morning we will mount another guide rod right behind the spread bar, then my el cheapo rack is 100% just steering :) Maybe add more beef to this huge spreader. I just can't discredit the CAD results.

Moving day, off the build table on the the lift for the finishing parts/welds/etc.

handful55.jpg

handful56.jpg

handful57.jpg

handful58.jpg

Couldn't resist pics with the other mistress.

Edited by JGSturbo

I'm going heavy duty with the axles, just ordered 4x 1-ton GM CV axles. Nobody makes a 41 spline axle.
It should be an adventure as I need to make my own axles.
Plan is to make a sample 300M stub, heat treat it in our vac. furnace to see how it holds shape.
Then make the real deal, I just happen to have a Doosan 2000SY lathe with live tools and 2in of Y travel (from center) and ~24" between centers for turning down the mid section.
I had our new fancy automated optical comparator trace an axle stub and the factory star so we can get diameters, angles and depths.
Its good to have all the toys. But I will need to send them out to our heat treat shop as our ovens aren't big enough.
That said I'm going to make all the axles I can get from a length of 300M, spares and future projects.
IMHO they're equal to 934s in size but stronger than a plunging 934.

GM CVs are non-plunging correct?  I take it you can get some pretty wild angles with those...? 

11 hours ago, Rockwood said:

GM CVs are non-plunging correct?  I take it you can get some pretty wild angles with those...? 

Yes, 35 degrees is safe IME. Its how you get 20in travel from 28in axles ;) They are stronger then plunging as well. 

Got my new help on board, good things are happening.

11 hours ago, JGSturbo said:

Yes, 35 degrees is safe IME. Its how you get 20in travel from 28in axles ;) They are stronger then plunging as well. 

Got my new help on board, good things are happening.

Nice.  How fun was the geometry on those semi-trailing arms and axles? :bigrin 

13 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Nice.  How fun was the geometry on those semi-trailing arms and axles? :bigrin 

It was fun but I've been recycling the raw design over 3 cars now :D

handful60.jpg
handful61.jpg
Panels are going on! its cool step, really taking shape.

handful62.jpg
handful63.jpg
26 in total available travel with a ride height width of less than 84 in . 35 in tires give 4.5 inches of ground clearance at bump.
It makes for a nice ride in the sand.

handful64.jpg
My helper got this panel fitted with the side steps, looking more like a car every day.
Picked powder colors, Silver Splatter Frame, Splatter Black Arms, Illusion Orange Panels (If you own a powdercoating shop you need neat powder). 

Daaang. :thumbup:

Gonna run a sway bar?  Seems any spring rate soft enough to use that travel is gonna be floppy in the high-speed bowls.

7 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Daaang. :thumbup:

Gonna run a sway bar?  Seems any spring rate soft enough to use that travel is gonna be floppy in the high-speed bowls.

Those are just some take-offs from my other car I'm using for mach-up ;) Waiting till the car is fully loaded then we will scale it and order springs (the correct method).

But- Yes, I'm adding a sway bar. I have the bar (old ford explorer torsion bar 'cause 1 I'm cheap, 2 it works ). Kind of slacking on that project.

The extra bump travel of 35in tires is where my extra is coming from.

My spindles seem to handle 10.75s just fine as the new owner or the old 4seater has been beating the hell out of it with no spindle stub issues.

5 minutes ago, JGSturbo said:

Those are just some take-offs from my other car I'm using for mach-up ;) Waiting till the car is fully loaded then we will scale it and order springs (the correct method).

But- Yes, I'm adding a sway bar. I have the bar (old ford explorer torsion bar 'cause 1 I'm cheap, 2 it works ). Kind of slacking on that project.

The extra bump travel of 35in tires is where my extra is coming from.

My spindles seem to handle 10.75s just fine as the new owner or the old 4seater has been beating the hell out of it with no spindle stub issues.

No shit on the springs. :bigrin 

Figured the 35s helped.  Not surprised the spindles hold up: load path isn't parallel to the weld like in the other spindles you see.

Awesome to see such a unique build come together so fast! Whats your goal for a shake down date?

1 hour ago, the new guy 05 said:

Awesome to see such a unique build come together so fast! Whats your goal for a shake down date?

End of May, my birthday present to my self. Hopefully sooner, Oregon Coast Dunes are my back yard so to speak.

14 hours ago, JGSturbo said:

handful62.jpg
handful63.jpg
26 in total available travel with a ride height width of less than 84 in . 35 in tires give 4.5 inches of ground clearance at bump.
It makes for a nice ride in the sand.

handful64.jpg
My helper got this panel fitted with the side steps, looking more like a car every day.
Picked powder colors, Silver Splatter Frame, Splatter Black Arms, Illusion Orange Panels (If you own a powdercoating shop you need neat powder). 

Already beat ya, just had all my panels re-done in Illusion Orange. 

11 hours ago, bmgm37 said:

Already beat ya, just had all my panels re-done in Illusion Orange. 

I'll be looking for pics then, I might be leaning more towards Hot Rod Orange.

My new worker has been busy...
handful65.jpg
handful66.jpg
handful67.jpg
handful68.jpg