SPODEBOY

A "Tiny" project with my youngest boy.

I hate being a negative nancy, but isn't this trailer a little overloaded?

Only when I get in it! LoL 

The trailer with smaller tires and wheels, and no welds to re-enforce the frame will hold 1195lbs.  At the moment I estimate that I have about 300 lbs on it at the end of video number 6.  The weakest point at the moment is the tongue (Two tow bars). I plan to re-enforce that area as well. Even when completed I'd bet I am still under the 1195 lbs. I will however make sure it is safe for more than that just in case. 

Edited by idrum4theking

Part 7 is up.  AC Install, Windows, speculating  Spare & Fenders.   Can't wait to Dune again. 

this is cool man! good job

This is really cool. I can’t seem to find the other parts besides the 1 and 7 that you posted. 

Andrew

Now that you're finished framing I'll give you mu .02 of advice, for the next one..haha! Cool build! I wish my old man would have built something like that for us kids. End grain fastening is the weakest joint, even when using long screws. The little brackets you used look like they will work fine. Could have saved time and maybe a little money by using a Kreg pocket hole jig for all your joinery instead of the metal brackets. I'd suggest putting 2 of those little brackets on every joint, wall framing bottom and top, and where the roof framing meets the wall. Lastly, looks like you have this covered, drill through the bottom plate, floor and trailer, bolt all 3 together with long bolts, fender washers and nylocks. OK I said lastly once already.. But I mean it this time... I'd suggest using liquid nail or titebond 3 on the sheeting.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to run some of your ideas by someone before starting. Sometimes it helps to have a second set of "eyes" on something. Your kids are lucky to have a father that is willing to put forth the time to build them something with his own 2 hands. 

18 hours ago, WaPaWeKkA said:

This is really cool. I can’t seem to find the other parts besides the 1 and 7 that you posted. 

Andrew

Here's 2 thru 6.

16 hours ago, bent trix said:

Now that you're finished framing I'll give you mu .02 of advice, for the next one..haha! Cool build! I wish my old man would have built something like that for us kids. End grain fastening is the weakest joint, even when using long screws. The little brackets you used look like they will work fine. Could have saved time and maybe a little money by using a Kreg pocket hole jig for all your joinery instead of the metal brackets. I'd suggest putting 2 of those little brackets on every joint, wall framing bottom and top, and where the roof framing meets the wall. Lastly, looks like you have this covered, drill through the bottom plate, floor and trailer, bolt all 3 together with long bolts, fender washers and nylocks. OK I said lastly once already.. But I mean it this time... I'd suggest using liquid nail or titebond 3 on the sheeting.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to run some of your ideas by someone before starting. Sometimes it helps to have a second set of "eyes" on something. Your kids are lucky to have a father that is willing to put forth the time to build them something with his own 2 hands. 

Thanks for advice! Yes, I admit I am not a pro by any means. Only using what I can learn on Youtube. I did, and do plan to use liquid nail on all the sheeting for sure.  And anywhere you see those brackets I have already run screws in from the bottom.  Wood thru wood firstly. I also did bolt the bottom wall plates through the flooring and then the frame too as you suggested using larger washers and lock nuts. You can see that in the other vids I just posted. 

Yeah This is my last kid. And my 15 yr old daughter still wants to go ride so I have to take advantage of that time for sure.  

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. 

Best part of this is the father son project. More important than most people ever realize! Props to you.

Pretty awesome thing that you are doing, quality time like that can never be measured. The ability to document it via video these days will be great for your son in the future.

:sba:  thing that you are doing here......and the Tiny Trailer is awesome too  ;)

6 hours ago, idrum4theking said:

Thanks for advice! Yes, I admit I am not a pro by any means. Only using what I can learn on Youtube. I did, and do plan to use liquid nail on all the sheeting for sure.  And anywhere you see those brackets I have already run screws in from the bottom.  Wood thru wood firstly. I also did bolt the bottom wall plates through the flooring and then the frame too as you suggested using larger washers and lock nuts. You can see that in the other vids I just posted. 

Yeah This is my last kid. And my 15 yr old daughter still wants to go ride so I have to take advantage of that time for sure.  

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. 

Liquid nails is not that great, test some other products. I built my 40 ft. trailer in 2000 out of steel tubing and screwed the wood siding on them glued on the aluminum siding and it is still in good shape. DON~~~

This is AWESOME! I'd love to do something like this with my youngest, he loves the desert and river but sometimes the big trailer is just too much.

12 hours ago, donparscale said:

Liquid nails is not that great, test some other products. I built my 40 ft. trailer in 2000 out of steel tubing and screwed the wood siding on them glued on the aluminum siding and it is still in good shape. DON~~~

Don, what kind of aluminum skin did you use ie. flat or corrugated?   Also do you have any pics of video of your build. Looking for ideas and tips.   I also remember someone building a sweet 5'ver on here like 10 or 15 years ago on here was that yours?

Thanks, Gino

43 minutes ago, SPODEBOY said:

Don, what kind of aluminum skin did you use ie. flat or corrugated?   Also do you have any pics of video of your build. Looking for ideas and tips.   I also remember someone building a sweet 5'ver on here like 10 or 15 years ago on here was that yours?

Thanks, Gino

Mine was before that one. Here is a couple pictures. DON~~~

Trailer pictures 4.JPG

Trailer pictures 2.jpg

New pictures 168.jpg

New pictures 256.jpg

New pictures 158.jpg

New pictures 157.jpg

New pictures 179.JPG

The latest in the progress. 

Part 14 Electrical. 

Might steal that cooktop idea. I already have that same unit. I was planning on just using a 2 burner Coleman camp stove but I like what you did. Is it on top of wood?

4 hours ago, spize909 said:

Might steal that cooktop idea. I already have that same unit. I was planning on just using a 2 burner Coleman camp stove but I like what you did. Is it on top of wood?

Yes it is on top of wood. I got the idea from another DIY'er.  He has had it like that for some time with no issues..  I was quite surprised at how the wood did not get hot.  However,I am still debating using some stainless steel I have to go between the two.  I have not permanently mouted the burner as of yet. 

44 minutes ago, SPODEBOY said:

Yes it is on top of wood. I got the idea from another DIY'er.  He has had it like that for some time with no issues..  I was quite surprised at how the wood did not get hot.  However,I am still debating using some stainless steel I have to go between the two.  I have not permanently mouted the burner as of yet. 

I think that it would be wise to isolate that burner somehow. Heat will transfer thru the stainless as well. Not sure what the answer is but don't think anything flat would be wise. If you cut the hole bigger in the wood top and had in inch or two to the burner, maybe it would be safer. Or think upside down pie tin.......

Either way, I like it! I like the sink too. I was thinking a bar sink with my 5 gallon aqua-tainer plumbed right out the bottom thru a hole in the floor for washing up and brushing teeth. What you did there looks like a good option too.

Edited by spize909

I like what you are doing, always wanted to do a little tier drop trailer built for off road to get were nothing else could go.