Sign in to follow this  
TEAM AJ

operator union apprenticeship opening next week!!!

ATTENTION:
local 12 operators union is opening apprenticeship for applications 1-22-18 to 2-7-18. opens for 2 weeks every 2 years.
current starting pay with no knowledge is $27hr plus 2 dollar raise every july and every 1000 hours,full benefits after 6 months.retirement,medical,vacation,dental,death benefits.medical and dental are full (zero) pay in except for co-pay (small).

journymen pay starts at 46+

visit---->> https://www.oett.net/

tell a friend...do not contact me regarding this...follow the link and apply on monday online...just passing information on for the brotherhood

That is a great opportunity right there!

calling bbb

I got 100% on the sample test.  I wonder if they need a 54 year old apprentice?

59 minutes ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

It's funny you mentioned that, years ago in my early 40's as a IBEW foreman I had a 52yr old apprentice, he was the best dam apprentice I've ever had.

Always ON TIME and with the best attitude of someone I've ever met. I kept in contact with him for years later as I have with a few brothers and im sure he's retired by now.

Local 12 is a great Union and IMO it's never too late to pursue a career. :rtd: 

3 hours ago, Kat-A-Tonic said:

Illegal to discriminate on age. When I started my apprenticeship in 85 you had to be 25 or less. Can't do that now.

Not trying to turn this into an argument at all and this will be my only post about it. This is simply my experience with Local 12.

I tested and was accepted into the apprenticeship program back in 2006 at 20 years old, this was at the height of the housing boom. I was totally stoked and super happy to be there. At that time, they were needing soils inspectors, structural concrete inspectors, among many other various inspectors. They pretty much sent me right into those classes and it made sense to try and fill the void.

I took the classes, got a few certificates in soils and concrete inspection early in 2007. All this time they (the Coordinators) were telling me that jobs were waiting and I would get a job full time once I had my certs. After about 4 months after I got those certs, I was still waiting on a job. I was calling my coordinator at least once a week to see if anything came up. I was definitely bugging him, but squeaky wheel gets the grease right. I had a job at the local bike shop and was still living with my parents, so I was't quite hard up to get a job, but I wanted to start working and making some money and getting experience. 1 or 2 guys from my class had gotten jobs since they were in a different district than I was, but weren't even getting 20 hours a week most of the time, and they had left full time jobs making decent money for this "better" opportunity.

It had been a few more months and I was taking more classes, plan reading and structural concrete inspection. This was the middle of 2007 and I was noticing that there were quite a few older guys in these classes, they were mostly operators. I got to know a few of them and they are all Journeymen operators that are telling me they are only working 10-20 hours a week on equipment and getting to be pretty hard up for work. They started taking these classes because they were told inspectors were needed. These guys all had houses and families and were getting pretty scared with not working full time over the past 6 months. 

Towards the end of 2007, things were starting to really take tumble and construction was really slowing down. No new projects were getting started. Lots of guys started showing up to these classes and actually being turned away because they were full. I was still waiting on a job, bugging my coordinator every week and getting the same answer, "I got something lined up for you, just waiting on the word from the employer". 

Then I got a really bad taste in my mouth with Local 12 at the beginning of 2008. They announced that they were opening up testing for the apprenticeship program again, and those of us that were already in it but still waiting on jobs were going to have to retest! My first reaction was WTF! I already did this and got accepted, I've been waiting on Local 12 to put me on a job. I went straight to my coordinator and talked to him, he said not to worry, he wasn't going to make us retake the test. That made me feel a little better.

I started the next set of classes with a lot of the guys from the other classes and they are all pretty much out of work, on unemployment, or only working 10 hours a week when unemployment would pay more. The journeymen are all telling us new guys about how many of them are out of work. Then we all start thinking about how and why Local 12 is opening up another apprenticeship program. Why would they be hiring or training new guys, when many of their own Journeymen that have been members for 10-20-30 years are out of work and waiting for the union to put them on other jobs? That really didn't make sense to me, the Union has been talking about brotherhood and helping each other out in hard times, but here they are letting long term members lose work while still bringing in new guys. 

It just didn't make sense to me, once I was done with those classes and was still being strung along with a empty promise of work for 2 years, I had to make the decision to go down a different path. I felt like I was wasting my time learning about things that would not pay off for me, you are not allowed to take your certificates and find outside non-union work since the union pays for that education. At this point, the 2008 economy was really in the shi**er and I didn't see myself having a job in that field for quite a few years. Many of the operators were looking for other work and things were falling apart for them. I found other work that ended up leading to where I am now and would not change a single thing that I did in the past 15 years. 

I fell out of contact with most of those guys over the years, and last I had heard not one of them was a Local 12 member after all that.

I know a lot of guys that are union, specifically Local 12, and they have done great with it. I think it was just plain bad timing in my case, but the thought of hiring new apprentices at a time when journeymen were down and out of work did not give me that feeling that the "brotherhood" was going to help me in the same situation.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just giving personally account of my experience. 

I would say the local unions are the close to Organized Crime, typical case it is all who you pay, and not what you do,  

39 minutes ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

Not trying to turn this into an argument at all and this will be my only post about it. This is simply my experience with Local 12.

I tested and was accepted into the apprenticeship program back in 2006 at 20 years old, this was at the height of the housing boom. I was totally stoked and super happy to be there. At that time, they were needing soils inspectors, structural concrete inspectors, among many other various inspectors. They pretty much sent me right into those classes and it made sense to try and fill the void.

I took the classes, got a few certificates in soils and concrete inspection early in 2007. All this time they (the Coordinators) were telling me that jobs were waiting and I would get a job full time once I had my certs. After about 4 months after I got those certs, I was still waiting on a job. I was calling my coordinator at least once a week to see if anything came up. I was definitely bugging him, but squeaky wheel gets the grease right. I had a job at the local bike shop and was still living with my parents, so I was't quite hard up to get a job, but I wanted to start working and making some money and getting experience. 1 or 2 guys from my class had gotten jobs since they were in a different district than I was, but weren't even getting 20 hours a week most of the time, and they had left full time jobs making decent money for this "better" opportunity.

It had been a few more months and I was taking more classes, plan reading and structural concrete inspection. This was the middle of 2007 and I was noticing that there were quite a few older guys in these classes, they were mostly operators. I got to know a few of them and they are all Journeymen operators that are telling me they are only working 10-20 hours a week on equipment and getting to be pretty hard up for work. They started taking these classes because they were told inspectors were needed. These guys all had houses and families and were getting pretty scared with not working full time over the past 6 months. 

Towards the end of 2007, things were starting to really take tumble and construction was really slowing down. No new projects were getting started. Lots of guys started showing up to these classes and actually being turned away because they were full. I was still waiting on a job, bugging my coordinator every week and getting the same answer, "I got something lined up for you, just waiting on the word from the employer". 

Then I got a really bad taste in my mouth with Local 12 at the beginning of 2008. They announced that they were opening up testing for the apprenticeship program again, and those of us that were already in it but still waiting on jobs were going to have to retest! My first reaction was WTF! I already did this and got accepted, I've been waiting on Local 12 to put me on a job. I went straight to my coordinator and talked to him, he said not to worry, he wasn't going to make us retake the test. That made me feel a little better.

I started the next set of classes with a lot of the guys from the other classes and they are all pretty much out of work, on unemployment, or only working 10 hours a week when unemployment would pay more. The journeymen are all telling us new guys about how many of them are out of work. Then we all start thinking about how and why Local 12 is opening up another apprenticeship program. Why would they be hiring or training new guys, when many of their own Journeymen that have been members for 10-20-30 years are out of work and waiting for the union to put them on other jobs? That really didn't make sense to me, the Union has been talking about brotherhood and helping each other out in hard times, but here they are letting long term members lose work while still bringing in new guys. 

It just didn't make sense to me, once I was done with those classes and was still being strung along with a empty promise of work for 2 years, I had to make the decision to go down a different path. I felt like I was wasting my time learning about things that would not pay off for me, you are not allowed to take your certificates and find outside non-union work since the union pays for that education. At this point, the 2008 economy was really in the shi**er and I didn't see myself having a job in that field for quite a few years. Many of the operators were looking for other work and things were falling apart for them. I found other work that ended up leading to where I am now and would not change a single thing that I did in the past 15 years. 

I fell out of contact with most of those guys over the years, and last I had heard not one of them was a Local 12 member after all that.

I know a lot of guys that are union, specifically Local 12, and they have done great with it. I think it was just plain bad timing in my case, but the thought of hiring new apprentices at a time when journeymen were down and out of work did not give me that feeling that the "brotherhood" was going to help me in the same situation.

Again, not trying to start an argument, just giving personally account of my experience. 

Bad timing there. I was a soil tech right through that (and earlier recessions) and got through fine. I was in grading '79-81 and joined the union in '82. Bad timing for me too as that was almost as bad as the last recession. They never found me work. I bailed and went with private soils firms and all is good ever since.

56 minutes ago, HappyW/VForce said:

Bad timing there. I was a soil tech right through that (and earlier recessions) and got through fine. I was in grading '79-81 and joined the union in '82. Bad timing for me too as that was almost as bad as the last recession. They never found me work. I bailed and went with private soils firms and all is good ever since.

which one?

I'll PM you.

This is way public work is so expensive, $27 an hour for a complete no nothing person!

The unions only piss money away on the people in charge.

13 minutes ago, rampage42 said:

This is way public work is so expensive, $27 an hour for a complete no nothing person!

How dare they make a living. They are probably just high school educated dummies. 

3 hours ago, SEAN@WEDDLE said:

Half the battle is timing and dumb luck. I was on the lucky side of time by less than week in my current situation. 

I'm always amazed how many liberal, democrat supporters we have in the gun and offroad community....

5 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

I'm always amazed how many liberal, democrat supporters we have in the gun and offroad community....

Quality of life

7 minutes ago, surf and dune said:

The classic “your opinion is different than mine, so you’re an idiot” response. 

Edited by jtmoney714

53 minutes ago, jtmoney714 said:

yet you are here in my topic bashing along with ours in a job opportunity thread while hating on those of us in unions making good wages....

sad that someone entered the apprenticeship at worst possible time in decades but dont piss on efforts for others futures....

geeze you folks are sour

6 minutes ago, nicklas gunsmithing said:

yet you are here in my topic bashing along with ours in a job opportunity thread while hating on those of us in unions making good wages....

sad that someone entered the apprenticeship at worst possible time in decades but dont piss on efforts for others futures....

geeze you folks are sour

I was not bashing at all. I forwarded the link to multiple people. I’m all for union gigs. 

12 hours ago, jtmoney714 said:

Where did I say "you're" an idiot? I have lots of liberal and conservative friends. Just saying it surprises me how many people choose to enter a career that forces you to donate a portion of each and every check, forever, to help elect the very people that want to take away the very freedoms that most of us on this board enjoy. The fact that the entire topic was started by such a staunch gun enthusiast as Niklas is definitely worth a head scratch or two.  

On 1/19/2018 at 7:52 AM, surf and dune said:

Where did I say "you're" an idiot? I have lots of liberal and conservative friends. Just saying it surprises me how many people choose to enter a career that forces you to donate a portion of each and every check, forever, to help elect the very people that want to take away the very freedoms that most of us on this board enjoy. The fact that the entire topic was started by such a staunch gun enthusiast as Niklas is definitely worth a head scratch or two.  

Portion of check, u mean supplemental dues??they ate tax write off and account for 1.50 or 50 bucks a week on 1500 dollar take home. So who cares when making good money....

Dang..

Guns and paychecks are unrelated

Thank you for posting the info. 

2 hours ago, nicklas gunsmithing said:

Portion of check, u mean supplemental dues??they ate tax write off and account for 1.50 or 50 bucks a week on 1500 dollar take home. So who cares when making good money....

Dang..

You just proved my point.

On 1/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, rampage42 said:

Isn't it going to be/is a requirement that the bullet train employ like 30% unemployed welfare people? You know those are going to be high paying jobs and we the people may have some trouble getting our money's worth from those types.

Brown and the Dems have probably hidden verbiage in the contracts requiring X% of "undocumented" as well.

2 hours ago, nicklas gunsmithing said:

Dang..

Not if a portion of your paycheck is used to support someone who is trying to take away your gun...