blackmagic250R

How To Buy a Funco. Help a Newbie Out.

The day has finally come to add a mini van er.... a Funco to the fleet. With the wife wishing to do more "back seat duning" than riding her own ATV and kids in the future some day I think the time is right to add a sand rail to the family. I am set on getting a Funco. We were able to dune with a group that had a fleet of Gen 3 Big 5's and they seemed to fit us the best a long with desired ride. The wife like's the ease of getting in and out and the potential to stick 3 people in the back. 

Where I am seeking help is what would you recommend to a Newbie who is getting into the game? What did you wish you knew when you bought one? 

I am pretty set on finding a 2D car with a Subie 2.5. Is there anything else you liked? My Price Range is about 23k and it seems that should be an obtainable number for a good quality rig. 

I have been told to check all hiems obviously and then I was told the rear pivot support area's are known for cracking and so to keep an eye on that as well. Obviously keep an eye on the CV boots, check for slot and also that the axle will pivot back and forth within the cv. I hear the front racks like to crack away from the frame (witnessed it myself) and so to check that area. just looking for input from you all. 

Thanks!

I have had one Gen 3 and two Gen 4's, so here are my thoughts.

I would try to find a Funco built car first, just easier down the line in repairs if you and Funco know they built it originally. Cars with the cut out "F" on the front skid plate....fyi not a deal breaker at all.

If Subie, Stay away from any at this point if Leading Edge built it, try and go with C&G or Outfront only (since you are in Anaheim, try and find with Outfront).  The reason being, when something goes wrong, much easier for the original builder to figure it out, trust me on this one.  Each does things little different.

The Gen 3's use a Mustang rack, easy to replace when they wear out, just check welds on mounts

Trailing Arms pivot points do wear, the early Gen 3's used a Nylon Bushing there and also on the A-arms, Funco can upgrade to uni-ball easily, it is a must have on the trailing arms for sure.  If it hasn't been done, they will wear out the mounts on the frame.

Some Gen 3" have rear bypasses, not a deal breaker but does help the bottoming out.

All of the cars have a number on them, so you can actually see the year they were built, not the year they were registered (could be a couple of years apart) .  There are a handful of early Gen 3's out there that aren't numbered, I think they started the numbering after the first year, which was 2001?  First year Gen 4 I believe is 2004?

At this point, if the car hasn't been updated, you are going to want to update belts and maybe the seats if cloth.

If possible, find a subie that has been changed over to run on E85, the cost difference is huge, $2.79 a gallon for E85 to 8.50 a gallon for 110 race.  If you burn 40 gallons a trip, the difference in each trip is around $200.  For me that is over an $1,000 a season in savings.

Good luck, these cars are dreams and really easy to maintain, they don't go thru CV's like other brands and are really easy to work on.

Be careful on the height of adults in the back seats. Especially with helmets on. With the fuel tank under the rear seats it is tight for a tall person. Belts can stretch a long way in a hard crash and you want plenty of space. Cookie posted some great info. I just flipped my original CVs over last year and they have a lot of hard miles. 

Did you see this one ?  

My first FUNCO had the bench seat, never put three back there and the support was weak at best, go for the buckets. You could always change if you had to. 

2 hours ago, hondajimz said:

Did you see this one ?  

I did and he did not respond to my texts from craigslist. I happened to be in pheonix with a truck too! 

Thank you to all who responded!!!  Cookie thank you so much! 

Gen 3-Gen 4 I will take what I can find! Thanks again for the trailing arms heads up and motor talk.

i have followed John@outfront a lot and bugged him since I was 18 lol id love to own a car with one of his motors! But like said C&G also has a great reputation! 

Thanks guys! I’ll be sure to post on what I drag home! 

8 hours ago, blackmagic250R said:

I did and he did not respond to my texts from craigslist. I happened to be in pheonix with a truck too! 

Sorry if I missed a text. I had a bunch come over the looked like scams. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me another message.