LEADER OF THE PACK

Warning for the kids, pets, and even the mature kids

Starting to get organized after returning from a extended stay at the dunes. During MLK weekend i was at roadrunner with friends and on Sunday morning we were relaxing back at camp and watching some of the group pack up and take off. We had been using the shade and power of the patio of a particular trailer, and it was now ready to take off. The driver was done loading and doing a final walk around wehn he pronounced "there is a rattle snake"! Sure enough laying beside the rear tire was a little white rattle snake. Which, immeadeatly made me recall the conversations of the neighbors that I had overheard the day before, curious of what they were "burrying the head deep"?

Point being, these little white snakes that standout on the black top may be easily overlooked in the dunes. I personally wouyld be really disappointed if my dog got it and it might interrupt my weekend if I or one of my kids got it! We dont expect to come accross the reptiles in the "winter" mounths, but the dont always seem to abide to the rules. Play it safe,it is never a good time for a rattle snake encounter.

Thanks for the reminder! How often are these encounters happening during the warmer months?

yep, crazy  one year at road runner we caught like six sidewinders put them all in a pillow case, and relocated them. it was in the spring time too

they were everywhere

Interesting. I've never seen a snake out there. Thank you for the post. I'll be keeping an eye out on the next trip.

I remember driving out late nights in the 1980's. We would always see a dead snake on the last five miles to gecko road turnoff. Havnt seen any on the highway in a long time.

Never saw any in the dunes but will be more mindful now.

Thanks for the warning.

31 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

yep, crazy  one year at road runner we caught like six sidewinders put them all in a pillow case, and relocated them. it was in the spring time too

they were everywhere

was told before by an animal control that rattlers are very territorial and just to kill them not relocate, as he killed two of them by my parents house. I freaking hate snakes and would be way to scared to get close enough to kill them.

Rattler Lives Matter!

A few years ago, lots of baby rattlers near the Cell tower.. (Near the compound)

Took a few pix.. left them alone..

Last year camping near the canal in late March we had tracks through camp one morning.

Had been sitting by the fire pit drinking coffee. Went back to the camper for a refill and found its fresh tracks since I had came out the TH.  While chilling by the pit he had come right through camp. About 20ft behind us. Never saw it..

Freaked my me out. Tried to hunt his ass down but lost his track after he got on top of the crusty untouched sand.

I freaking hate snakes.....

We see lots of scorpions in March. Lost count there were so many a couple years ago. Tiny ones. Had over a dozen under my rug when we went to shake it out.

Buddy caught the biggest one Ive ever seen in person last year.

180207_102649_502.jpeg

Edited by endobear

Rattlesnakes aren't fun...

A few years ago on a trip in March we camped in Wash 2 or 3 and had 2 rattle snakes visit the camp.  A person in our camp picked them up (crazy!) and relocated them beyond the railroad tracks.

With it being so warm in Glamis this season they are out and about earlier than expected. 

3 hours ago, endobear said:

Last year camping near the canal in late March we had tracks through camp one morning.

Had been sitting by the fire pit drinking coffee. Went back to the camper for a refill and found its fresh tracks since I had came out the TH.  While chilling by the pit he had come right through camp. About 20ft behind us. Never saw it..

Freaked my me out. Tried to hunt his ass down but lost his track after he got on top of the crusty untouched sand.

I freaking hate snakes.....

We see lots of scorpions in March. Lost count there were so many a couple years ago. Tiny ones. Had over a dozen under my rug when we went to shake it out.

Buddy caught the biggest one Ive ever seen in person last year.

180207_102649_502.jpeg

That's not a scorpion.

Couldn't find the scorpion pic.

This is just some unidentified creepy crawly that visited us at the camp fire.   

11 minutes ago, endobear said:

Couldn't find the scorpion pic.

This is just some unidentified creepy crawly that visited us at the camp fire.   

Sun Spider sometimes referred to as Rangoons. They are fast as heck. They are like praying mantis, they eat other bugs.

We had a portable generator on top of some Lynx Levelers (they're like giant Lego blocks used for leveling RV's). While packing up, we removed the generator and picked up the blocks. Inside one of the holes in the block, was a baby rattle snake curled up. We always keep an eye out for the little guys now.

one on the chairs in Parker last weekend...little mean sucker probably 20" long....rattling like a mother and striking at anything close....his day didn't end well. Too many animals and little ones around for his foolishness to be tolerated.