Sign in to follow this  
nickman123

Accessing water heater

Bought a used motorhome. The hot water doesn’t work right. Cold water works great, but hot water only dribbles out. The water is hot, the water heater itself seems to fire and work fine, but the water just trickles out. Doesn’t water if it’s using city water or the water pump. 

Seems like some sort of partial blockage or restriction on the hot water side, right? So I figure just follow hot water plumbing till I find it, right?

Problem is, I can’t figure out how to access the water heater and the hot water lines. They all seem to be located in the corner area under the cabinets next to the kitchen sink but I can’t figure out how to get in there without destroying the cabinets. The only sort of access panel I can find is a little 8”x 10” panel under the sink. It lets me “peek” a little into that area, but’s it’s not near big enough opening to actually be useful. Nothing else looks like it’s made to come open or come apart easily. Do u somehow pull the cover off the water heater area from outside the coach?

Any help would be appreciated.

34367CD9-BDCB-4CE7-AF90-95C525D14F83.jpeg

28C56586-04AB-40EB-8AF1-CCC3A3CF7114.jpeg

DEF95342-C256-4096-A253-BBC7F71A0A46.jpeg

A2C9398A-7B86-40E6-A624-83861AAF3261.jpeg

D9AD90B3-9764-4090-AF61-BE6B470E0356.jpeg

B57596B8-6868-4AB4-B313-28B588044F0A.jpeg

Or blockage on cold supply to the water heater. Your picture shows a hot drain. Hook to city water and open drain and see if there is some amount of pressure there.

Might show on which side of water heater the block is. I know on mine if you open with pressure it displays the pressure at the drain.

Edited by Richard H

Like  Richard said  blockage of somekind . Mine has always been little  spiders like to live in there and build little Webs and it won't fire the  igniter 

probably a valve somewhere that is partially closed. there are several on my motorhome for bypassing heater, winterizing etc. i have unknowingly knocked mine partially closed before as they are located in a storage compartment. you might look around. i've seen them under the bed before too.

1 minute ago, mark5193 said:

probably a valve somewhere that is partially closed. there are several on my motorhome for bypassing heater, winterizing etc. i have unknowingly knocked mine partially closed before as they are located in a storage compartment. you might look around. i've seen them under the bed before too.

This too. I found on mine there were valves under bathroom lav and one was closed that effected entire hot side of system.

My problem is I can't figure out how to access the area behind the hot water heater where the hot water lines run to locate the blockage. If I take all the drawers out to the left of the sink, I can look thru the openings and see exactly the area I want to get at. But without elasta-man arms, I can't actually reach in thru there to do anything. Like I said, other than the little access panel under the sink, I can't see anyplace where the cabinets or countertop are made to come apart. It all seems to be put together real solid and I don't want to destroy it tearing it apart. But I feel like I'm missing something. They would have to make it so you can access the water heater somehow, right? Does that whole outside panel come off somehow so u can do it from outside? In that area, all the lines coming thru are caulked around so it doesn't look like it comes apart easily either.

really doubt it's the heater itself.....

Do you get water out of the PT valve (pop off)?

go buy some 1/4" paneling at home depot, and then make that access hole bigger under the sink....

Pull that bottom drain plug out of the water heater and let all the water drain out. Then turn on the water pump, or hook up to city water with the drain plug out and see if you get a good flow of water draining out. At least this will tell you if it is the flow in or the flow out of the water heater. Make sure the water heater is off.

Have you done a google search on your particular coach? Seems like most issues pop up at some point and get discussed on the RV forums. I know for my Winnebago and National it seems I have always been able to find info on different projects. When I did my gray and black tank project I had to pull some paneling to get to the plumbing underneath. PITA. They don't seem to build them with future repairs in mind.

Edited by onanysunday