Sign in to follow this  
WaPaWeKkA

Opinion on Polaris Trailblazer 250

My 11 year old daughter was adamant she didn’t want to ride a quad when we started going back to Glamis this season. She was perfectly content with riding in the RZR. We bought my son one but decided against it for her. 

She  rode my nieces little 90 and now she won’t stop talking about wanting one. Her birthday is coming up in May and we’ve got a St. Anthony trip planned in June so I’m on the hunt. 

What’s everybody’s opinion on the automatic quads? Specifically the 200-250cc ones. She will be 12 years old in May and she’s tall for her age. Probably 5’6” if I had to guess. I know I want an automatic with electric start. The Honda’s are nice but come with a $2000-$2500 price tag. I’ve found some 250 Polaris Trailblazers for less than $1500. Thoughts? They certainly don’t look appealing but will they get the job done? Cruising around camp and small dunes?

thanks. 

My buddies wife used to dune one back in the day. The only thing I remember is that it was heavy and underpowered. It did ok when we were cruising with the youngsters and picking the right line but I wouldn't want to have to dune it all day. My advice for what it is worth and I know you said you wanted a automatic but I wouldn't. She will get bored very quickly and honestly once you master a clutch way more fun. You are experienced so you know that power will get you out of a lot of trouble and weight can get you into a lot of trouble. I would suggest a 300ex my daughter started riding one when she was 10 and it was perfect. Plenty of power and easy to ride.

look for a LTZ 250 semi auto. i have 2 great starting bikes, they have everything you looking for.

We had one. Big and heavy. Better than sitting in camp, but not something I'd want my daughter to dune on regularly. I agree with teaching her how to use a clutch, as it's not that hard. At 12, I'd even consider a honda ex400 or suzuki/kawasaki 400 for her.

The Honda 250ex has auto shift ( no clutch needed) and has great resale value. They are a great starter bike, They are you typical Honda, built tough as hell and about as bullet proof as one can get. put her on it put it in 2nd gear and let her just cruise. As she gets more skills and confidence she can start shifting the gears with out have to use a clutch.

Honda TRX250EX (I'm actually looking for two myself) is the best out there for most kids. LTZ250 is a similar quad, just less of them out there. I've seen the Honda's as low as $1600 and not completly beat up.

A Raptor 250 is really nice, but that would be for an aggressive rider who likes shifting for power band.

Good luck with the search.

Take a look at the Yamaha Wolverine 350, 2006 and newer. Raptor plastics, Auto, gentle enough for newer riders, but still will do okay, enough to get you anywhere in Glamis with good line choice. Wife has been riding one for 12 years and it has done great. You can get them cheap too, because they weren't that popular.