Sign in to follow this  
Thunderclap

2004 Honda Trx450 spitin oil from the airbox

Ok heres the deal quad sat for about two years , cleaned the carb fired right up . Drove it down the street no issues perfect. Wrong 3 hrs later in garage the whole place smelled like gas . removed carb (when removing tank noticed petcock leaking ) replace petcock no leak . Bought a rebuild kit gaskets, needle jets ,main , float valve , floats etc etc.. did oil change with filter put it all back together fired up shooting oil mixed with fuel in the airbox ? Drained oil put fresh oil again fired up nice idle test drove same thing oil mixed with fuel in the airbox called a shop they said probably the piston rings hmmm but it ran perfect like 2 days prior , could this be ? Any help.. thanks guys 

:rbj:

If indeed its engine oil Sounds like blow-by to me (rings). Sure its not fuel and air filter oil?

Woah. I was reading this thinking you were describing my bike to a T. I’ve got an ‘05 450. Bought it a few months ago, put it in the garage and it smelled the joint out. No leaks that I could find. Didn’t have time to dive into it before a trip. It ran fine on the trip. A little difficult to start but ran fine. Knew we had another trip planned pretty quickly, so I didn’t bother again. Ran fine the second trip and even a little easier to start. Now that I’ve got some time, I’m gonna start with the carb rebuilt kit. I didn’t see any fuel/oil in the air box and that was one of the first things I checked. Let me know what happens to yours. 

Andrew

8 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

If indeed its engine oil Sounds like blow-by to me (rings). Sure its not fuel and air filter oil?

Yes fuel mixed with oil into the airbox idk coming from the breather hose ? 

You store it flat? check oil level / smell make sure fuel is not getting into crankcase. 

13 minutes ago, raspadoo said:

You store it flat? check oil level / smell make sure fuel is not getting into crankcase. 

Fuel is definetly in the crankcase even in the glass eye to seenthe oil level and can see it 

Float is sticking open, weird that its not coming out float bowl overflow tube.

Hmmm float vavle, pin and float is new maybe I assembled it wrong? 

Edited by Thunderclap

When the float valve is installed does it have to seat or fit in a certain way? My eyes cant see shitola 

sudco sells those parts....

When the petcock failed I bet is kept leaking into the carb bowl at a slow rate, then into the cylinder, past the rings and then into the crankcase. My CRF70 just gave up the ghost (piston rings) from previous owner leaving the fuel on had vanish build up on the needle and seat thus would always leak fuel into the cylinder as a slow rate. 

On 2/24/2018 at 1:21 PM, Thunderclap said:

Hmmm float vavle, pin and float is new maybe I assembled it wrong? 

Maybe wrong overflow pin! Had a neighbor put a brand new carb kit on his binchee. Couldnt firgure out why it wouldnt run after. Finally figured out overflow was plugged. Pin wasnt the right size and created a vacuum. Was an amazon kit