mellen_mpz

In the market for a SXS

10 hours ago, mellen_mpz said:

I drive my cars fast but I don't jump them or hammer them through whoops.    What screwed me this time was a little piece of rubber/silicone about the size of a splinter.    They hooked me up this time at $600.   Last time it was either 700 or 800...can't remember.   

I remember more of the KSC days 

I think everyone has one of these trips sometimes.  What else has been an issue for you this season Jeff?  I personally dont think you can beat the setup you have/had.  SXS for the trails, and sand car for the dunes.  You ever looked at the depreciation hit the SXS's take?  I know you did not have that XP900 very long, but my guess is it didnt cost a whole lot in ownership.

I think you will miss the funco if you decide to sell.

If you do decide to sell call me. :)

11 hours ago, mellen_mpz said:

I drive my cars fast but I don't jump them or hammer them through whoops.    What screwed me this time was a little piece of rubber/silicone about the size of a splinter.    They hooked me up this time at $600.   Last time it was either 700 or 800...can't remember.   

I highly recommend this:

d024erl.jpg

For sealing NPT fittings.  Silicone on the threads can definitely lead to what you experienced.  

11 hours ago, mellen_mpz said:

That's pretty good!    My sand car cost me $600 in a little less that 5 min this last weekend!

Jeff next time give AZ turbo a call.  think that is what they go by. just did my Cat C7 full rebuild for $280,  They do all turbo's with a day or two turn around. have done my honda turbos , ford turbos etc. never paid more than 350 for a rull rebuild. comes back looking like new.  there down there on McDowell and 25th ave

26 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

Jeff next time give AZ turbo a call.  think that is what they go by. just did my Cat C7 full rebuild for $280,  They do all turbo's with a day or two turn around. have done my honda turbos , ford turbos etc. never paid more than 350 for a rull rebuild. comes back looking like new.  there down there on McDowell and 25th ave

Yup, Same price range from Turbos direct when I did my cartridge this past summer. Was the shaft or impeller bad to cost $600? Turbos Direct is out in our neck of the woods so close by.

11 hours ago, DTA said:

Try $5-10k for 2-120 minutes in a TT. Sometimes more. Sometimes less but then that's just going to prep, fuel and consumables.

Took me 12 years to figure out that racing a high dollar car is actually not that much fun. Sold racecar, prerunner and trailers.

I've "felt" your pain.

Then I bought an XRS and honestly couldn't be happier.

yeah, I'm into my car over 10k just this season alone.  Getting tired of it.    Wouldn't be that bad if I could get through a trip, but that's 10k with very little driving and lots of ruined trips.  

26 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

Yup, Same price range from Turbos direct when I did my cartridge this past summer. Was the shaft or impeller bad to cost $600? Turbos Direct is out in our neck of the woods so close by.

I live about a mile from turbos direct so I use them.    Cartridge replacement both times.   

2 hours ago, r3meyer said:

I think everyone has one of these trips sometimes.  What else has been an issue for you this season Jeff?  I personally dont think you can beat the setup you have/had.  SXS for the trails, and sand car for the dunes.  You ever looked at the depreciation hit the SXS's take?  I know you did not have that XP900 very long, but my guess is it didnt cost a whole lot in ownership.

I think you will miss the funco if you decide to sell.

If you do decide to sell call me. :)

Grenaded a hub bearing in the dunes, lost a ground wire off computer (cost an hour of troubleshooting), engine rebuild, radiator rebuild (that didn't go well), intercooler rebuild, shock rebuild (twice), blew up 2 turbos,  bad tune (had to send computer off to get unlocked then re-dyno), radio issues (had to send new radio off to get modified), broke a CV (after replacing axles and CVs), couple other small things.   This final trip, my 3 year old toyhauler roof started coming off, then the turbo issue, then lost a tire on my truck when trying to deal with turbo.   

Edited by mellen_mpz

30 minutes ago, mellen_mpz said:

Grenaded a hub bearing in the dunes, lost a ground wire off computer (cost an hour of troubleshooting), engine rebuild, radiator rebuild (that didn't go well), intercooler rebuild, shock rebuild (twice), blew up 2 turbos,  bad tune (had to send computer off to get unlocked then re-dyno), radio issues (had to send new radio off to get modified), couple other small things.   This final trip, my 3 year old toyhauler roof started coming off, then the turbo issue, then lost a tire on my truck when trying to deal with turbo.   

It sounds like you season was filled with all sorts of stuff.  It gets frustrating when you go out and there is always an issue.

A SXS should be way easier in that regard.  The nice part of a SXS is vendors at Glamis usually have parts for them - belts, a-arms, axles, ball joints, etc..  If they don't have it usually Coyne in El Centro does have the parts. 

Before you make the jump I would rent one and make sure you will enjoy it in the dunes.  If you can somehow come out to Glamis Easter weekend, the rental companies in Glamis should be there.  

but I thought those Subi's were the shit.  Sorry had to.  I know I have spent over 20k on the car this past year too.  upgrades and repairs.  Hasn't lossed me any trips though. that is the worst part is losing the trips. it will all get better for next season.  having a backup ride is nice to have though if you can swing both. 

1 hour ago, mellen_mpz said:

Grenaded a hub bearing in the dunes, lost a ground wire off computer (cost an hour of troubleshooting), engine rebuild, radiator rebuild (that didn't go well), intercooler rebuild, shock rebuild (twice), blew up 2 turbos,  bad tune (had to send computer off to get unlocked then re-dyno), radio issues (had to send new radio off to get modified), couple other small things.   This final trip, my 3 year old toyhauler roof started coming off, then the turbo issue, then lost a tire on my truck when trying to deal with turbo.   

Man can I relate to this. 2 seasons ago bent a rod and decided to build a motor with good parts. Did it all myself which was a huge job. Then had trouble thinking it was the motor but in the end was a bad turbo cartridge. Tore the new motor half way apart trying to figure that out. Finally installed a radio in my car this last season. Packed my rear bearings and replaced the uniballs also. Of course each uniball is different size so it took a couple trys to get the right ones from Funco. Had trouble this season with my wastegate after the new motor build and spent probably 25 hours to redo the exhaust and get that fixed. This summer planning to replace my PS lines. pack front wheel bearings, and rebuild the brake and clutch systems. Front implements are cracking badly and need replaced with Baja pros. Rear paddles are getting chunked since they are 10 years old. Also need to tear my shocks apart and put in fresh oil.   Those items are easy compared to the S4 swap I am considering. Mega job.  Sheesh.  :blink:

In the end though nothing comes close to carving and sliding around the dunes. Worth every minute of work to get out there. 

Edited by onanysunday

4 hours ago, Squatcher said:

but I thought those Subi's were the shit. THEN I LOST TO ONE. NOW I KNOW THEY ARE!!! Sorry had to.  I know I have spent over 20k on the car this past year too.  upgrades and repairs.  Hasn't lossed me any trips though. that is the worst part is losing the trips. it will all get better for next season.  having a backup ride is nice to have though if you can swing both. 

:hug:

That shiat is funny (oh he lost to two)

Yamaha YXZ1000r. 5 speed manual. Everything else is up-gradable to complete with the others.

44 minutes ago, ROBERT L said:

That shiat is funny (oh he lost to two)

those damm turns. turns.  lets go straight and see what happens.  lets do it next season when i add a couple more hundred hp. 

30 minutes ago, Squatcher said:

those damm turns. turns.  lets go straight and see what happens.  lets do it next season when i add a couple more hundred hp. 

Sorry bud, I dune. Have fun at the drags! :lol:

1 hour ago, Squatcher said:

Duners like to get the most out of their equipment. There's a reason they put a steering wheel and not a rudder in these things...

Oh, and be glad the transmission Gods were angry....otherwise, I can assure you 3 subi's would have had you in your rear view mirror...LOL..

now you guys know I dune.  I haven't done the drags in a long time.  just saying every 100ft a turn I just need a little breather room.  its ok next year my suspension will be dialed and I will try my best.  its on suckers. 

2 hours ago, BeachHead said:

Duners like to get the most out of their equipment. There's a reason they put a steering wheel and not a rudder in these things...

Oh, and be glad the transmission Gods were angry....otherwise, I can assure you 3 subi's would have had you in your rear view mirror...LOL..

Don't know what you are talking about the last subi was last and second to last.  then honda then V8 love. 

1 minute ago, Squatcher said:

Don't know what you are talking about the last subi was last and second to last.  then honda then V8 love. 

Hmm..oh well, matters not, I plan to add a few cylinders to mine over the hot months anyway...

So the trash talking continues

never stops.  sorry to hijack Jeffs thread back to topic please. 

1 minute ago, DEV'S RZR said:

So the trash talking continues

It's all some of us losers can do...LOL

I don't own or know anything about the sxs machines or market.

Just wondering why no consideration for the Yamaha with a 5 speed manual transmission. 

It seems like a logical choice coming from a sandrail where the driver is more interactive. 

Just curious.