LS Steam Ports - Block or Cross Over?

wesinls

Reading multiple opinions about this - curious what others are doing ...fwiw - I'm referring to these:
image.png.41e7bc0c830100f7213b00ac778e6ce5.png

vs:
image.png.5926721f44777c95e4080991c77584f6.png

Edited by wesinls

Use them. There’s no way for air to escape the top corners of the cylinder head otherwise. GM spent profit on them, they’re important. 

• Like 2

The ones in the back of the head do nothing, All the new motors do not even have the provisions for the head gaskets, 

The way the block are machined the pumps sits lower than the tallest part of the motor, so in that small pocket air can be trapped, then big enough pocket it can add some cavitation 

We also make a full kit, Made in America by a board member that has a Haas, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J Alper said:

The ones in the back of the head do nothing, All the new motors do not even have the provisions for the head gaskets, 

The way the block are machined the pumps sits lower than the tallest part of the motor, so in that small pocket air can be trapped, then big enough pocket it can add some cavitation 

We also make a full kit, Made in America by a board member that has a Haas, 

This feller?

https://www.alpermotorsports.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=169

3 hours ago, lincster said:

Mine are blocked.

Came back from engine builder like that after rebuild.  

Best thing would be to periodically bleed them or get a kit to add them back. Any air bubbles from localized boiling in the heads will be trapped there. Head cooling is important for detonation. 

• Like 1

My friends Funco has what you show in the pic. Just a crossover tube with no breather to the expansion tank. Several times we had to stop due to an overheated head issue. Both times we had to crack the crossover tube bolt and let it breath out the steam. It was messy and a PITA. I have the stock style crossover with a steam tube that goes to the expansion tank on my LS swap I am doing.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Funco4JM said:

My friends Funco has what you show in the pic. Just a crossover tube with no breather to the expansion tank. Several times we had to stop due to an overheated head issue. Both times we had to crack the crossover tube bolt and let it breath out the steam. It was messy and a PITA. I have the stock style crossover with a steam tube that goes to the expansion tank on my LS swap I am doing.

Same car, same problem, same solution, are you my friend??

After "burping" 2-3 times the overheating problem was gone.  No big deal.

2 minutes ago, danwalker said:

Same car, same problem, same solution, are you my friend??

After "burping" 2-3 times the overheating problem was gone.  No big deal.

No big deal, just might have a hot spot in the cylinder, GM spent a lot of time and money on this design, so i would not take it lightly 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

This feller?

https://www.alpermotorsports.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=169

Best thing would be to periodically bleed them or get a kit to add them back. Any air bubbles from localized boiling in the heads will be trapped there. Head cooling is important for detonation. 

Correct Designed by KRC, we use a cross over and a T, will post a pic, we run them back into the water pump on the return side, 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, J Alper said:

Correct Designed by KRC, we use a cross over and a T, will post a pic, we run them back into the water pump on the return side, 

Suction is sufficient there to pull the bubbles I take it? Was planning on running mine back to the radiator (already a fitting there). 

Rears blocked, fronts have the crossover with a breather going to catch can. Car runs at 170 degrees, never had an issue with hot cylinders

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J Alper said:

Ty, just purchased a set!  

Steam.thumb.png.b0c44a9c425d2cd105a5d5412e13739d.png

Picture instead of words.  Circled with arrow is why you need the steam port: the water pump outlet is lower than the coolant in the head and will trap air bubbles there.  If you have block offs and didn't crack them when you filled the coolant system or haven't in quite some time, chances are very high there's air trapped in there and you're leaving money on the table not cooling your cylinder heads.  If there's blockoffs and you're overheating, this would be the first place I'd check.

one other comment to throw on top of @Rockwood's comments.......... 

there is a very distinct difference between a "catch can" and a "surge tank". 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bobalos said:

one other comment to throw on top of @Rockwood's comments.......... 

there is a very distinct difference between a "catch can" and a "surge tank". 

Yep. Under no circumstances should the steam port go to a catch can.  Pressurized side of the system only, otherwise you'll have a bit of a mess on your hands... :biggrin:

• Like 2

Just checked mine, blocked in the rear and the fronts are already in a T from factory so I just ran it to the top of the radiator. My radiator had a barbed fitting there so it worked out. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, funco4lizzle said:

how about a surge can?

1.567x better than a catch tank.

Mine does not have a surge can, it does it "wrong" & it goes to the WP. 

image.thumb.png.9d7c76590c9a7eb6cb29a0b18265c82c.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobalos said:

Mine does not have a surge can, it does it "wrong" & it goes to the WP. 

image.thumb.png.9d7c76590c9a7eb6cb29a0b18265c82c.png

My stock motor was like this and it ran super hot. 
My current motor has block off plugs and runs cool. 

5 minutes ago, lincster said:

My stock motor was like this and it ran super hot. 
My current motor has block off plugs and runs cool. 

Mine runs to the water pump, 468-LSX mine runs 180 degrees 

Mine runs 180 all of the time, hot or cold ambient temps....  there is no thermostat in the car.  I have never had a cooling issue with the car and given it runs 180 all of the time would have put money down that there was a thermostat in the car.  

When I did the first cooling system flush I could not get it to burp.  I found those crossover tubes plugged and after cleaning them it burped instantly.   

As a side note....  my buggy has a quite large radiator compared to a bunch of the other buggies I've seen.  It's 31x16 and over 1/2 of it is in direct airflow with no windshield (and not much HP) 

Edited by Bobalos
  • Like 1