John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

Posted (edited)

I have owned 2 Funcos, my first was a gen four, bought it as a kit 11 years ago, drove it hard, had a lot of cracks, rebuilt it stronger and sold it 5 years ago. Bought a Gen 5 with custom upgrades to the frame for my driving style. Wanted a different look 2 years later, cut up the back end and made it a 2 seater with a sleeker look.  Wheel base remained the same but car length was shortened by 8". Other mods done 3 years ago was a custom 25 gallon fuel tank mounted right behind front seats, a 19X34 radiator mounted on the floor in front of the tranny. Turbo on top of the tranny, custom 6 into 2 into 1 header.  CG is super important so all parts were below the mid rail of the car.  It has remained semi painted for too long so its time for new paint. But before I paint it will go through massive mods again, some due to new cracks in crazy places--so some bars need to move. On the list of other things is a custom front end look, custom rear cage look, air ride suspension added. The intercooler will move up in the car, turbo slightly further back so I can make a new custom header. intake will be turned around. This will allow for a 5 min removal of the intercooler allowing a full view and working area for the tranny and turbo too. it will allow for a better air flow across the intercooler too. Car sports a Mendeola S5 with a Subaru flat 6 @780HP, 3" KING. custom sway bar. This thread will have tons a pics, any input, questions, dissatisfaction or suggestions welcome.  This is a learning thread, no question too dumb to ask

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Posted (edited)

the front end is the first to get updated, The front shock tabs were upgraded to 1/4" because I tore the stock 3/16 tabs off my old car, however the new 1/4" units are cracking, the other bars right above the shock towers are also showing movement manifested by small cracks.  I will be cutting the bent bars off and landing them at the shock tower rather than having them connected by the 3" short bar that seems to always have cracks. I will be narrowing the front bumper also with custom sheet metal to replace the current fiberglass unit

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

Cool looking forward to this. 

@John@Outfront Mtrsprts "Making Summer Threads Great Again..."

:thumbup:

Thanks john...I always learn a lot from your build threads!

John, How well has the S5 held up for you with that HP and how hard you drive?  Really like your build threads. What are some tricks to fix the cracks? I assume grind the weld clean and re-weld it. I have one in my trailing arm. Was thinking about drilling a small 1/8 hole at each end of the crack and then re-welding?

20180329_083242.jpg

the upper bar in the rear cage will be welded in permanently and only the lower half will be removable. the left side header, runs under the tranny to the right side and goes up to the turbo as one tube. the new design will have a pipe on both sides of the tranny coming up to finally join right in front of the starter

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

:headbang:

Looking forward to this John!

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

John, How well has the S5 held up for you with that HP and how hard you drive?  Really like your build threads. What are some tricks to fix the cracks? I assume grind the weld clean and re-weld it. I have one in my trailing arm. Was thinking about drilling a small 1/8 hole at each end of the crack and then re-welding?

20180329_083242.jpg

the first three years with the Gen 5 was a tranny rebuild every year at about $3-4 k each time.  I feel half of that was the product itself, then I got 2.5 years out of the last one. The abuse in my tranny is not good, and will not get better.  I have a fix for the cracks in your arm, this gusset set works great. I even did it to my 934 arms when I was assembling it the first time. that is a common problem because their is about 2" of tube with no support, This bracket kit we make fixes that. pics shown are of a customers car we did awhile ago, he chose not to remove arms for chroming, so they are raw. Note his was the first fix we did, the new kit has 2 pieces per arm. makes them super strong

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Been waiting for this thread for awhile.  Did you give up on the GTR motor?  What does that flat 6 run on?  Ballpark cost to get one to 780hp?  What size turbo?

12 minutes ago, 1newbie said:

Been waiting for this thread for awhile.  Did you give up on the GTR motor?  What does that flat 6 run on?  Ballpark cost to get one to 780hp?  What size turbo?

$2.39 per gallon e85  custom experimental 3.2 liter  estimated turn key $30, I drove this for the last 1/2 season and it is the bomb, one would never wish for anything else. turbo is a GT35r but with introduction of the new Gen 2 stuff it may go smaller.  The GTR is still here in the backround, still on the radar but my main car first--the Funco is top priority

Interesting..Always enjoy your build/modification threads..I notice that your cars always seem to be that same shade of lime green..What's the story on that?

16 minutes ago, Super Hunky said:

Interesting..Always enjoy your build/modification threads..I notice that your cars always seem to be that same shade of lime green..What's the story on that?

Its to remind him of what the car runs on.....Cold Hard Cash lol

24 minutes ago, Super Hunky said:

two reasons: one I wanted something that you would not forget, when its fresh fluorescent green it is awesome, but fades fast. I used to keep it outside a lot, not anymore. second is I wanted it to be easily seen in the dunes (other drivers coming at me, etc)  the only color that does that better is the fluorescent orange.  It has been my trademark---all green.  since then it has grown on me and everything I can I buy "that color" lol.  I have been told that people can see my car 5 milers away on the top of a dune its that noticeable!

I knew there had to be a Grand Theory behind it..Dune On..

9 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

the mock up................................

IMG_0959.JPG

IMG_0960.JPG

IMG_0961.JPG

IMG_0962.JPG

We have a Gen 5 and it's cool to see what you have done and are doing. Unlike many here I'll hold my opinion until you are done but I will say you can get green duct tape for a more finished look. :lol: 

With the bars moved is it any more difficult to get the dash cover off?

1 hour ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

We have a Gen 5 and it's cool to see what you have done and are doing. Unlike many here I'll hold my opinion until you are done but I will say you can get green duct tape for a more finished look. :lol: 

With the bars moved is it any more difficult to get the dash cover off?

no the dash comes off the same as the bars near there have not been changed, it only looks like it would be more difficult

these 3 pics are of the current setup, it was super low CG but was difficult to put your hand on anything, the intercooler and fan assy was must difficult to remove including taking off the starter and intake to get it out. this area will be  modified a lot.  I want the intercooler to come out in 5 min exposing the turbo, tranny and top of motor for easy access. this will allow for a more efficient header set up too

IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0964.JPG

IMG_0965.JPG

still couldn't find green duct tape.......... I know this is crude, but I do this a lot, look at it for a few days and make changes until I like it. the turbo and intercooler will be pulled back a few more inches to the rear and header tubes from both sides will straddle the tranny and joint right in front of the starter

IMG_0966.JPG

IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0969.JPG

this is the upgrade to my 934 arm, note the addition of this plate allows for no part of the bar to be unsupported where yours cracked

IMG_0970.JPG

Ive learned so much from reading your threads!!  This is gonna be fantastic.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:47 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

the first three years with the Gen 5 was a tranny rebuild every year at about $3-4 k each time.  I feel half of that was the product itself, then I got 2.5 years out of the last one. The abuse in my tranny is not good, and will not get better.  I have a fix for the cracks in your arm, this gusset set works great. I even did it to my 934 arms when I was assembling it the first time. that is a common problem because their is about 2" of tube with no support, This bracket kit we make fixes that. pics shown are of a customers car we did awhile ago, he chose not to remove arms for chroming, so they are raw. Note his was the first fix we did, the new kit has 2 pieces per arm. makes them super strong

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

IMG_0954.JPG

Perfect.  Cracks form because the metal didn't like what was going on.  Cleaning/welding will just result in more cracks.  The area in question needs more support, and this does it efficiently.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Perfect.  Cracks form because the metal didn't like what was going on.  Cleaning/welding will just result in more cracks.  The area in question needs more support, and this does it efficiently.

This is true. Cracks usually form because of movement. It's never good to just weld it and think it'll be ok. Once welded the metal becomes brittle. Weld it again and it'll crack again unless the problem is fixed. When a piece of metal is repeatedly moved back and forth it WILL crack eventually. The movement needs to be stopped. 

Wow I thought I drove hard, looking forward to this thread.