John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

Fuel tank and iar ride tank  are in,  up graded the supply line to the fuel pump to -10, fuel temp sensor installed,  motor is in for good.  Exhaust on for good. super flat bottom of car/motor and trans.  tow hook is simple and clean. New slave cylinder design done.

tail pipe and intercooler and intercooler lines are next.

IMG_7135.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

Looks great! Getting all this work done in a short amount of time and you still took time to reply to my emails and talk on the phone yesterday to help me get my car running by Thanksgiving. Solid guy in my book! 

The best John,  Beautiful, no beautiful and impeccable, work as always. Hope to see this in person this next year. Hope to be coming out sometime after mid January.  

I had an extra tranny mount that wasn't made right, I cut it up and made these brackets to capture the tranny ears.  I have had the tranny mount crack in the past, this spreads the load to the side bars way better and allows no forward backwards "micro flex" of the engine and tranny assembly, Also note the long rear bolts going straight up into the factory Subaru motor mount holes (with spacers so I can stab the engine easier, then insert)  nice 7/16" lower cage bolts for my towing peace of mind

IMG_7142.JPG

IMG_7145.JPG

IMG_7146.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

this side is all done, nothing to add, simple and clean, turbo drain is a 60deg fitting and has a nice slope down.  Turbo drains should always be -10.  The old leading edge motors from 15-20 years ago ran -8  its  OK but when the oil leaves the turbo it is churned up so bad that it can foam and needs to move away from the turbo fast.  My D ring came out perfect for my big 2" strap.  That's to pull out those heavy V8 cars!:icon_uhoh:

IMG_7147.JPG

IMG_7149.JPG

my intercooler has seen some time, some ports were closed up for the new location.  The Fans are huge HD 12" versions.  I have done lots of testing and the heat that can be generated over a nice hot dune ride would blow your mind.  Intercoolers must be as cold as possible for big power and good engine life. On the last two pics you can see a welded on oval. (that's covering my old  BOValve  hole and then I will be using it to monitor boost and air temp "pre-intercooler"  I can see the intercooler efficiency and pressure drop at various boost levels.  I might find that my intercooler drops off in performance at a certain boost.  my guess is i'm fine at 20psi (750ish HP) It is two of my typical trapezoid intercoolers welded together.  I wipe a thin coat of red wheel bearing grease in my intake tube to check and catch silt, if it turns brownish, my filter is passing stuff.  I will also be putting the same two sensors (MAP and temp) as in the intercooler in the intake tube.  then I can monitor relationships of ambient, temp vs compressed temp, vs actual air temp entering the engine.  This will be displayed on one of my AEM dash screens.  the MAP in the intake can measure vacuum (plugged air filter)

IMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7151.JPG

IMG_7152.JPG

IMG_7153.JPG

are u going to stick ur finger in the turbo when u first start it ? :bigrin

Just now, I'm Sorry said:

are u going to stick ur finger in the turbo when u first start it ? :bigrin

No,   im going to bring Grease Monkey over here and teach him something new!

This turbo is so hot that on start up the wastegate needs to open right away to keep boost down  HAHA

2 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

No,   im going to bring Grease Monkey over here and teach him something new!

This turbo is so hot that on start up the wastegate needs to open right away to keep boost down  HAHA

I'm not sticking my finger in your turbo.

:lol:

John, all this info on the aem computer, is it recording or just instant display. Seems like a lot to view while your all out on it driving.

Might be too much info if you know what I mean. 

Just now, Grease Monkey said:

John, all this info on the aem computer, is it recording or just instant display. Seems like a lot to view while your all out on it driving.

Might be too much info if you know what I mean. 

yeah, no looking while driving, it can do massive recording to a thumb drive, you set up the sampling, for example water temp might be once every 30 sec but boost might be 10 times a second! you could even set up a custom recording focusing on a few channels.  I can set engine protection settings, even 3D protection.  Whats that? you could call out a min fuel pressure/boost  say you know the fuel pressure should be 50psi at 10psi and should be 60psi at 20 psi, so you set a threshold of 40 psi at 10psi and 50 at 20psi.  if it falls below the "moving" threshold it can display an alarm.  This is tied in to my big yellow warning light on my dash to get my attention. then I would look over to the dash and see what set the protection warning.

57 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

this side is all done, nothing to add, simple and clean, turbo drain is a 60deg fitting and has a nice slope down.  Turbo drains should always be -10.  The old leading edge motors from 15-20 years ago ran -8  its  OK but when the oil leaves the turbo it is churned up so bad that it can foam and needs to move away from the turbo fast.  My D ring came out perfect for my big 2" strap.  That's to pull out those heavy V8 cars!:icon_uhoh:

IMG_7147.JPG

All done?  No exhaust tip?

20 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

All done?  No exhaust tip?

You are right but thats up high. Good eye

John, how often do you service your BOV? Mine is mounted similarly and uses a filter for the output like yours, but I find the slide sticks every 3-4 trips and I have to clean it. I can tell when it sticks open, boost is slow and low. I'm using a turbosmart plumb back.  Has to be dirt in the intake track right, I use an R2C paper filter.

2 hours ago, Turbo_Manx_Maniac said:

John, how often do you service your BOV? Mine is mounted similarly and uses a filter for the output like yours, but I find the slide sticks every 3-4 trips and I have to clean it. I can tell when it sticks open, boost is slow and low. I'm using a turbosmart plumb back.  Has to be dirt in the intake track right, I use an R2C paper filter.

I really never do, perhaps its the brand? tighter tolerances?.  if you have enough dirt coming through the air filter to stick that-- you have bigger issues!!

I use R2C too, but mine is in a protected area from tire roost/etc

8 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I really never do, perhaps its the brand? tighter tolerances?.  if you have enough dirt coming through the air filter to stick that-- you have bigger issues!!

I use R2C too, but mine is in a protected area from tire roost/etc

I thought Turbosmart was a top end brand, but I've not been impressed with their boost controller, BOV or wastegate. Probably time to move to a different BOV.

14 minutes ago, Turbo_Manx_Maniac said:

I thought Turbosmart was a top end brand, but I've not been impressed with their boost controller, BOV or wastegate. Probably time to move to a different BOV.

Im not saying brand because its bad, just made to different specs. I love and run the turbo smart boost controller now but i like Tial for my wastegates and BOV

Is the tailpipe supported somewhere other than the v-band?

right now that is correct ^^^^^ ,   and probably for the first trip, muffler is pretty light.  it will however have the wastegate tied into but wont have time to do that before the first trip.  But to answer your question I cant imaging the 3" v band slipping--like no way, its huge

I think on a hard landing, maybe  you could get the whole assembly to rotate at the clamp down far enough to make contact with the axle?  looks like it's pretty close to the lower intercooler bracket or maybe the top of the valve cover area? I have seen the whole exhaust side glowing red hot and seems like it could loosen under those conditions

15 minutes ago, 2turbofords said:

I think on a hard landing, maybe  you could get the whole assembly to rotate at the clamp down far enough to make contact with the axle?  looks like it's pretty close to the lower intercooler bracket or maybe the top of the valve cover area? I have seen the whole exhaust side glowing red hot and seems like it could loosen under those conditions

it can only go down about 4" and would hit the diagonal bar, still super far away from the axle.  Hard landing?  I got air bags  HAHA

IMG_7161.JPG

IMG_7159.JPG

having some fun with my intercooler piping.  Perhaps aluminum would be a better choice here as any piping after the intercooler needs to be perfect inside (no cling-ons) from welding etc as it will go straight into the motor.  But I preferred to do these out of stainless as it will look awesome polished.  It will be the only thing I wipe down before each run!

Air ride came out nice and clean, only the compressor left.  It will be on all fours on Monday

There has been a lot of little extra new things that I have wanted to get done over the years.  It is fun and relaxing to do them.

IMG_7158.JPG

IMG_7160.JPG

IMG_7163.JPG