John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

40 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Thanks Willy,   going back out on the 13th-15th.  I want the first guy to be Sandpsycho, as I feel he has been through a lot lately :)  It might help calm his nerves. It would let me put a name to a face, however I don't drink so I don't know if the company I keep may have an impact on me.:ninja2:

22 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

No ride but I'll chase you around the dunes and have a couple root beers. My nerves are fine by the way. 

Should have John drive your car while you sit passenger. Now that takes some nerves.

Saw your car over the Thanksgiving week. Once by the swing set but you and another car just cruised thru. Then again near wash 10 on Saturday I believe and you were leading the way with a broken rail in toe. Your car looked bad ass from the glimpses I got. Well done sir!!

20 pages latter and not one picture of the completed car. 

3 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Saw it today.... its gooooorgeous

My first problems.  Last run I was overheating a bit pulled over and found one of my 16" paddle blade fan came loose on the shaft  motor spinning fan not.  I have a new one coming out in 20 min.  5 min to the end of the run lost lots of power but still running smooth.  Determined I just have no boost (I hope) looked for obvious blown off hose but nothing seen.  My best guess is my new killer turbo locked up.  Getting out to work on it now.

Last night I was going to play a practical joke on a guy i have never met so i stole his front wheel while he was having a drink with his buddies.  Knowing he could never catch me i took off. Laughing inside my helmet knowing what a foolish attempt he would have in trying to catch me.  I slowed down so he could feel good about his driving skills......then my turbo locked up.  He passes me a does this incredible move with his car(mind you he only has three wheels) I had to stop.  He comes over to beat the crap out of me but then I remember I just acquired $9000 ,cash and had it on me.  Fearing for my life I offered it to him.............

Bypassing one fan and disabling another only took 3 min with easy access. Well labeled and with the strip block easy to tap into. Blue wire was the bypass

15448063614648963050880692767602.jpg

So what did you determine on the turbo?  

1 hour ago, CHIZZLE said:

So what did you determine on the turbo?  

I have a new one ordered. It did go bad in only 5 days of duning. Sending in the current one for inspection and diagnosis 

1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I have a new one ordered. It did go bad in only 5 days of duning. Sending in the current one for inspection and diagnosis 

John what brand was the new turbo?

Incredible work as usual John - glad it turned out as planned - little issues in the shake down are Normal and new parts fail too, thats life, but come on,  we need pics ?

Edited by fullthrottleguy

The brand is precision, but don't condemn the brand just cause mine failed. Pics?  I thought you guys saw it too much inside and out? I would love to but it's already in the trailer. I will be back out Christmas to new years and will take some.  I love the look and how it came out.  Wouldn't change a thing.  

6 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

The brand is precision, but don't condemn the brand just cause mine failed. Pics?  I thought you guys saw it too much inside and out? I would love to but it's already in the trailer. I will be back out Christmas to new years and will take some.  I love the look and how it came out.  Wouldn't change a thing.  

Not condemning, I have had some problems with Garrett but both the company I purchased from and Garrett were civil about it.   Found out that Garrett is made a crossed the border south now. 

IMG_20181103_170754364_HDR.jpg

15 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

You have a wheel speed sensor? The newer PTs and other super efficient wheels are really easy to push into surge/overspeed. 

9 hours ago, fastcorvairs said:

Not condemning, I have had some problems with Garrett but both the company I purchased from and Garrett were civil about it.   Found out that Garrett is made a crossed the border south now. 

IMG_20181103_170754364_HDR.jpg

They’re assembled there, but the billet wheels, etc, are usually USA

On 12/13/2018 at 9:05 PM, SANDPSYCHO said:

20181226_162016.jpg

20181226_162057.jpg

20181226_162125.jpg

Great looking car John. And a very informative thread as usual. 

I forgot to ask you yesterday when we got back to camp if you ended up using your frame as part of your cooling system. I read in one of your threads some time ago about it and thought it was a clever idea. 

This is Ken in the yellow SU mid BTW. 

56 minutes ago, Flip-Flop said:

Great looking car John. And a very informative thread as usual. 

I forgot to ask you yesterday when we got back to camp if you ended up using your frame as part of your cooling system. I read in one of your threads some time ago about it and thought it was a clever idea. 

This is Ken in the yellow SU mid BTW. 

I did not.  If it was integral when the frame was  being made I would do it again. But doing it to a finished frame was a lot of work and the way I did it made the frame slightly less strong imho.  When I cut my car up the tube that was spliced into my car carrying the water had moved down about .25 of an inch. That caused my motor to sag about 1/2" down to the right.