John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

Just now, Air450 said:

When I had UMP's on my car I never found any sand inside laying there. They were both pointed up.

i-HHWd7Z9-X2.jpg

732A0450-X2.jpg

Some how the sand must fall out that drain nipple during normal driving!:dunno:

I think its cause you drive so fast it doesn't have a chance!  BTW look at that roost and tell me how it wouldn't force sand through a non protected filter that is 1 foot lower? it would be worse for a filter on the right side in this pic

Are you routing the bottom of the catch back to the motor via rh valve cover?

image.png.8c85c897a0efa407f01bac2ee94b811b.png

Posted (edited)

yes, for years now, its not quite the same as street cars.  mainly it allows any moisture high up in that valve cover to get vented too. Because the filter is up on top the moisture leaves easily.  In street AOS they are not vented on top so the moisture would return to the motor, so it has a drain 

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

hey john, on your braking issues, have you measured your brake pressures at all? under extreme use the mark to shoot for is 1200 psi.

23 minutes ago, Kevin said:

hey john, on your braking issues, have you measured your brake pressures at all? under extreme use the mark to shoot for is 1200 psi.

I like numbers.  Where did you get that figure?  Now I may want to put in a pressure port so I could monitor the bias too! 

That would give me good Intel. If I only see 900 then I could put in as smaller master cylinder bores. If I see way over and dont like my breaking still, then I need more caliper and pad

8 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I like numbers.  Where did you get that figure?  Now I may want to put in a pressure port so I could monitor the bias too! 

thats what wilwood recommends for their brake systems. i have talked with roger lamb at lamb components about it before as well and he told me similiar numbers. 1200-1400 is what i was told by roger when i was building my superstocker.

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

thats what wilwood recommends for their brake systems. i have talked with roger lamb at lamb components about it before as well and he told me similiar numbers. 1200-1400 is what i was told by roger when i was building my superstocker.

Good info.  Yeah with a single piston system you know when there is a leak or bad master.  With a dual system you could have one side not working and the pedal may still somewhat firm.  I will add some permanent mini gauges!

On 4/11/2019 at 2:30 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

UMP air filter results are in, this is a true 550HP subie motor, Stroker, ported heads, billet cams, yada yada (don't compare to other 550 packages out there)

after the dyno was done we got 543 HP at the engine at 20.4psi with the  UMP installed.  the goal was to see the HP loss if any.  We took the filter assy off all together and made a few pulls.  We netted 561 engine HP  (+18HP) but it appears that was "not" because of just the filter restriction.  without the filter it made 21.1 psi of boost.  the higher boost made more HP.  Regardless of how you think we could have over come the loss of HP "with" the filter by simply adding more boost (to 21.1psi) and would feel it would have made the same HP at that boost level.

Car is off to the dunes now

we did not try it with a K&N or S&B installed

Still a 2d with 930's?

1 hour ago, CHIZZLE said:

Still a 2d with 930's?

yes,  at the higher boost levels that is a lot to demand from those 2 items above.  driven hard it could take both tranny and cv's for a lot more service .  tranny should be serviced at least once every 3 years and CV should be inspected and serviced every 2 years (and I predict it will require some parts each CV service)   He had his first trip out and said that even 12/13 psi was way more than his car had before at his highest boost level,  perhaps Ryan will comment?  if he runs at 12-16 psi most of the time he may extend some of that service

So I took the car out last weekend to break in the motor and all I can say is WOW! It literally is like driving a different car and I only ran it at 9psi with no more then 50% throttle. The crazy part about that was I was still able to almost lose people in my group and provide an “E” ticket ride. I cannot wait until St Anthony in June when I can turn up the boost to a mild 12-14 psi and see what this thing does. As far as the CV’s and tranny, I feel like I might get more life out of them as I am not having to push the car as hard  and I can be a lot more fluid in my drive style. Of course, I am not one to drop the clutch but rather roll onto the throttle. 

I want to give a big thanks to John and his team! I could not be more happy and had  zero oil leaks or issues after the first trip. 

As far as the UMP filter, I ran the car all weekend and even followed another car on a ride and my filter looks brand new like it just came out of the package. This thing really works and I can see why most Baja racers recommend them.

Ryan

4622FC39-DBCE-479A-B45E-564CCEB6853F.png

7C0129D0-2F48-4734-AB67-494F36AAA799.png

so how was ur trip ? salt lake

8 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

great, but how did you know I went to Salt Lake?

i saw u driving down the center of the freeway going around traffic :moof:

no u mentioned it on another topic, so i'm glad u had a good time

Driving to SLC Utah for my first grandchild 's baptism. A quick family get together.  Then dinner, then turn around and go back home. 

•  
Edited by I'm Sorry