John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

15 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

what you don't like the Corvette look?  here is with one per side and a wing mocked up.  I know this stuff looks crude with duct tape but I love doing it that way, I set it up and look at it for a few days then change it up, settling on my favorite. The two horizontal cage bars will be permanently welded in the car, from there down will be removable, the motor will still come out the bottom with no intake on which is how I always pull this engine.  Lights are 3" in diameter

IMG_1062.JPG

What's up with the wing?  I never pictured you as a "looks" man.  I prefer function over form(other than color ;))

I like the double light but I agree it would need to be frenched/semi-recessed in to a panel to look right

Why not fit some Subi lights in there?

john w-subi lights.JPG

57 minutes ago, DuneTrack-N said:

john w-subi lights.JPG

turn them the other way..........

1 hour ago, DuneTrack-N said:

I like the double light but I agree it would need to be frenched/semi-recessed in to a panel to look right

so you're talking like aluminum panel the whole back area (it would be at an angle) then recess the bottom of the light into it?

Calling Grease monkey, pic of the rear of your car?

1 hour ago, DuneTrack-N said:

john w-subi lights.JPG

hmmmm...., not sure if they would mount easily.   I did think of the Polaris 1000 rear lights but cant get over the stigma of having a grown up razor

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

I like the looks of the double lights.

3 hours ago, CHIZZLE said:

What's up with the wing?  I never pictured you as a "looks" man.  I prefer function over form(other than color ;))

well I am not a looks guy, everyone knows that but maybe its time to step it up, I am going to have a new painted car and don't want to miss out on looking a little bit like the new Funcos:sraptor:  do you like it?

53 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

so you're talking like aluminum panel the whole back area (it would be at an angle) then recess the bottom of the light into it?

Calling Grease monkey, pic of the rear of your car?

hmmmm...., not sure if they would mount easily.   I did think of the Polaris 1000 rear lights but cant get over the stigma of having a grown up razor

8576621142_7e053c93cc_h.jpg

funco4.jpg

3fe0a152-6279-40c6-9340-9b10e94558b9_output1.jpg

1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

well I am not a looks guy, everyone knows that but maybe its time to step it up, I am going to have a new painted car and don't want to miss out on looking a little bit like the new Funcos:sraptor:  do you like it?

I like it with the duel lights and the wing if done tastefully. Nothing wrong with adding some cool factor to your build.

2 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Do I like it?  Meh, my opinion doesn't really matter. ;)

so just to instruct and show some terminology in valve train. here is a cut away of a 6 cylinder head, and cam bucket. Im having some custom never made before cams for a motor im working on, here are some typical issues. note in the first pic the cam lobe is almost touching the bucket, but the bucket base has touched the head. This dimension should be in the .020" range min and mine is less than that, but its hitting a casted area of the head (not machined) so this could be worse with other valves, when its this close this has to be checked on all holes "before" the valve job is performed. the next picture shows a bucket, titainium retainer and a test spring at full lift, note again how close the bottom of the cam bucket is to the head, in this pic its .010"  the third pic shows the valve completely closed, in this scenario you could measure your installed height like pic 4.  The areas of concern are maximum bucket travel, installed height, compressed height (installed minus lift of cam) wire specs like coil bind and spring pressure at both closed and open positions. It is possible that there is not enough real-estate to get the job done. but you can make compromises. Lets say you need a spring that has 70lbs on the seat (valve closed) and to get that the spring needs to be installed at 34mm of installed height. once that is obtained by retainers and spring seats the game starts. if you had 11mm of cam lift then when it is fully open the height of the spring is 23mm high. you want to be at least 1 mm away from coil bind. lets say coil bind for this spring is 22mm, then in this scenario you are good to go.  if the spring you used needed to be at 32mm installed height to get you proper seat pressure of 70 lbs, then at full lift the spring is now 21mm high--it is coil binding and this is catastrophic--she's going to blow  In my case I have another issue that the bucket has no more travel at this lift the options are to go with less lift, have shorter custom buckets made (not a good idea for bucket stability) or we could cut the cam lift profile on a smaller base circle. This is what im going to do. by cutting the base circle down .020" will give the bucket to head clearance about .030 clearance and allow for a taller installed spring height which may open me up to a different spring to get the job done.  Cheers

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

You lost me at "So..."

It's kinda like belt tension on the drive on one of your mowers. Too tight, no stop.  Too loose, no go.  If shit ain't right, it don't work..  LOL

41 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

You lost me at "So..."

Here you go. Slow mo at 8500 rpm.

Another cool vid. Valve seat view at the end.

Edited by onanysunday

On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, I'm Sorry said:

If lights are in a full inclosed one peace i would say two per side, if not then one per side 

my favorite so far, Corvette, Ferrari, Outfront.............  LOL

this panel will go all the way across and have a small panel on the back side so you don't see wiring

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

18 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

IMG_1095.JPG

That is the best look right there. Simple and clean lines never go out of style.

In 10 years many of the "Popular" looks (Over done, curved Alum Fab) right now will look as silly as some of the crazy 90's paint schemes do now.

1 hour ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

this panel will go all the way across and have a small panel on the back side so you don't see wiring

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

That will look great.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 8:06 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

so just to instruct and show some terminology in valve train. here is a cut away of a 6 cylinder head, and cam bucket. Im having some custom never made before cams for a motor im working on, here are some typical issues. note in the first pic the cam lobe is almost touching the bucket, but the bucket base has touched the head. This dimension should be in the .020" range min and mine is less than that, but its hitting a casted area of the head (not machined) so this could be worse with other valves, when its this close this has to be checked on all holes "before" the valve job is performed. the next picture shows a bucket, titainium retainer and a test spring at full lift, note again how close the bottom of the cam bucket is to the head, in this pic its .010"  the third pic shows the valve completely closed, in this scenario you could measure your installed height like pic 4.  The areas of concern are maximum bucket travel, installed height, compressed height (installed minus lift of cam) wire specs like coil bind and spring pressure at both closed and open positions. It is possible that there is not enough real-estate to get the job done. but you can make compromises. Lets say you need a spring that has 70lbs on the seat (valve closed) and to get that the spring needs to be installed at 34mm of installed height. once that is obtained by retainers and spring seats the game starts. if you had 11mm of cam lift then when it is fully open the height of the spring is 23mm high. you want to be at least 1 mm away from coil bind. lets say coil bind for this spring is 22mm, then in this scenario you are good to go.  if the spring you used needed to be at 32mm installed height to get you proper seat pressure of 70 lbs, then at full lift the spring is now 21mm high--it is coil binding and this is catastrophic--she's going to blow  In my case I have another issue that the bucket has no more travel at this lift the options are to go with less lift, have shorter custom buckets made (not a good idea for bucket stability) or we could cut the cam lift profile on a smaller base circle. This is what im going to do. by cutting the base circle down .020" will give the bucket to head clearance about .030 clearance and allow for a taller installed spring height which may open me up to a different spring to get the job done.  Cheers

IMG_1065.JPG

IMG_1066.JPG

IMG_1069.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

are those the actual springs they use........? They look awfully wimpy.

22 minutes ago, spize909 said:

are those the actual springs they use........? They look awfully wimpy.

here is my actual high end spring, almost double seat pressure than stock, once I get my custom made guides I will do another mock up with the cut away to see the actual setup

IMG_1099.JPG

20 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

here is my actual high end spring, almost double seat pressure than stock, once I get my custom made guides I will do another mock up with the cut away to see the actual setup

IMG_1099.JPG

Looks like what we used to call a bee hive spring. Or is that just the photo.

Some more pics of the amber and low red lights, its a keeper, two more lights on the way! and some florescent green paint to get a better view

when the brake lights are on its like stupid bright.  the low beam red is awesome (not as good in the pics) but you see every LED not just a glow, really cool lights

IMG_1101.JPG

IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1105.JPG

IMG_1106.JPG

IMG_1107.JPG

3 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

Love it!

46 minutes ago, Grease Monkey said:

Looks like what we used to call a bee hive spring. Or is that just the photo.

Does look like it's got some taper to it.  Natural frequency tuning tricks?