John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

now comes very tedious pipe fitting to splice into existing pipes, this is why Funco doesn't like to do conversions and would rather sell a new car, its unappreciated work.  the second pic is of the new HD lower air bag perch, they have added some gussets

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

6 hours ago, Grease Monkey said:

Looks like what we used to call a bee hive spring. Or is that just the photo.

http://www.enginelabs.com/news/new-products/comp-cams-launches-new-conical-valve-springs/

look closer this is one step better than Beehive springs, The advantages are many, the retainer is smaller (like with beehives) but they are lighter and can rev higher. All springs have issues with harmonics as the video in a previous post showed. Cylindrical springs have the biggest issues, the beehive is better and the conical is best. This is usually more of an issue in the higher RPM ranges so you V8 guys don't need to run out and buy any :rbj:  My motor has a rev limit of close to 8000RPM so they are in order for this motor.  They are more limited in selection based on your installed height and other limiting factors

I like those upgraded bag perches.  The bag link to the tab on the frame was upgraded at some point as well.  Had an issue with mine so Grant sent me their latest ones.  Maybe you have them already but if not, now would be a good time to throw them on.

IMG_1694.JPG

1 hour ago, CHIZZLE said:

I like those upgraded bag perches.  The bag link to the tab on the frame was upgraded at some point as well.  Had an issue with mine so Grant sent me their latest ones.  Maybe you have them already but if not, now would be a good time to throw them on.

IMG_1694.JPG

I think mine has something in between, but it could have a little material welded to the back side where its been cut away, that would add a lot of strength for the current bracket (basically welded on 3 sides instead of 2)  The breaking of this tab probably has more to do with improper installation as the bolt that goes through this is not to be tight at all, not even snug, and greased as it needs to pivot, putting a heim at both ends and spacers would be trick!  Even if a heim was on only one end, then when the bushing wears and the perch is leaning as they often do it wouldn't be twisting the "link"  I think I will do that, thanks

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

47 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I think mine has something in between, but it could have a little material welded to the back side where its been cut away, that would add a lot of strength for the current bracket (basically welded on 3 sides instead of 2)  The breaking of this tab probably has more to do with improper installation as the bolt that goes through this is not to be tight at all, not even snug, and greased as it needs to pivot, putting a heim at both ends and spacers would be trick!  Even if a heim was on only one end, then when the bushing wears and the perch is leaning as they often do it wouldn't be twisting the "link"  I think I will do that, thanks

When I re-assembled my car, I used new bolts and nylock nuts and didn't crank down on these at all.  Not sure why it failed, but it did.  I also had brand new bushings on the perch so it's perfectly straight.  You can't put a heim at both ends because it would pivot.  Even using a heim at one end you're increasing the odds of movement side to side.  Something to think about.

39 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

When I re-assembled my car, I used new bolts and nylock nuts and didn't crank down on these at all.  Not sure why it failed, but it did.  I also had brand new bushings on the perch so it's perfectly straight.  You can't put a heim at both ends because it would pivot.  Even using a heim at one end you're increasing the odds of movement side to side.  Something to think about.

the link can not be responsible for holding the perch straight, so it could have a heim at both ends, one issue for the tab to break is because the link "is" twisting or too tight,

Went to Funco today, they were nice enough to bend two bars while I waited! these two bars took 3 hours to cut and fit, poor waist of time but its coming out great

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

Nice work John.  Are the addition of the bar's for structural strength, or to bring the looks more inline with the g52's? 

28 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

the link can not be responsible for holding the perch straight, so it could have a heim at both ends, one issue for the tab to break is because the link "is" twisting or too tight,

Went to Funco today, they were nice enough to bend two bars while I waited! these two bars took 3 hours to cut and fit, poor waist of time but its coming out great

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG

IMG_1112.JPG

What do you plan on doing with the bar that go's down to the front end from the top of the a pillar, from what i understand that is a critical area keeps the car from breaking in half due to the way the sides are. I would recommend an x or v up front where the shock mounts are so the cross bar wont flex when you go full bump. Nice job, I enjoy it when people take good and make it better, this project has definitely got my interest. My vote on the lights go to the dual frenched look.        

1 hour ago, jugernaut said:

What do you plan on doing with the bar that go's down to the front end from the top of the a pillar, from what i understand that is a critical area keeps the car from breaking in half due to the way the sides are. I would recommend an x or v up front where the shock mounts are so the cross bar wont flex when you go full bump. Nice job, I enjoy it when people take good and make it better, this project has definitely got my interest. My vote on the lights go to the dual frenched look.        

yes that bar is important, but now it will be shorter and directly to the shock tower, before it passed by the shock tower and was attached by a 4" long tube that was prone to crack. That is the reason why I cut it up in the front.  an x brace may still be in the cards.

IMG_1114.JPG

IMG_1116.JPG

11 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Well, It holds it straight in one direction but I guess the bushing on the perch holds it straight in the other direction.  So I guess you could use heims!  Haha.

9 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

Well, It holds it straight in one direction but I guess the bushing on the perch holds it straight in the other direction.  So I guess you could use heims!  Haha.

correct, I guess I was too vague, right to left or leaning is the job of the big bushing at bottom of perch, front to rear is controlled by the link so even a double heim like a mini tie rod would work. I like the idea of at least one heim. so when the big bushing is worn/leaning the link is not trying to twist off the bracket you broke.

15 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

now comes very tedious pipe fitting to splice into existing pipes, this is why Funco doesn't like to do conversions and would rather sell a new car, its unappreciated work.  the second pic is of the new HD lower air bag perch, they have added some gussets

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

John

Is the bushing worn out in this view?  So if I understand this right the perch for the shock air bags has to pivot?  where would the hime's go?  I'm lost here.  

IMG_1109.thumb.JPG.954e6617574693d79fc2fdc6a45ed8a2.JPG

10 minutes ago, fastcorvairs said:

John

Is the bushing worn out in this view?  So if I understand this right the perch for the shock air bags has to pivot?  where would the hime's go?  I'm lost here.  

IMG_1109.thumb.JPG.954e6617574693d79fc2fdc6a45ed8a2.JPG

super lower right of your  picture, yes that is a worn bushing you circled, once that happens the chrome link in your picture is being twisted as it goes towards the frame

IMG_1120.JPG

8 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

super lower right of your  picture, yes that is a worn bushing you circled, once that happens the chrome link in your picture is being twisted as it goes towards the frame

IMG_1120.JPG

Just curious... Is the blue car a gen 4 with a Honda? Only asking because if it is I believe I have the predecessor to that car, a gen 3 with a Honda...

27 minutes ago, AlpineFunco said:

Just curious... Is the blue car a gen 4 with a Honda? Only asking because if it is I believe I have the predecessor to that car, a gen 3 with a Honda...

no its a friend of mine. Subaru powered.  it was one of the first 10 gen 4 made

3 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

no its a friend of mine. Subaru powered.  it was one of the first 10 gen 4 made

Ahh. Graphics look almost the same. If that panel was held in with screws instead of the Dzus fitting I'd have thought it was my car. Mine has "Turbulence" written into one of the panels and I'd heard that the original owner sold mine and built "Turbulence 2" that was a gen 4... Sorry to get off topic, carry on.

So here and at the other end is where you would put a hime?

IMG_1120.thumb.JPG.608cebb51a6ce82da8a905a826b6f882.JPG

12 minutes ago, fastcorvairs said:

So here and at the other end is where you would put a hime?

IMG_1120.thumb.JPG.608cebb51a6ce82da8a905a826b6f882.JPG

yes, this area has just a 3/8 bolt/nyloc, must not be installed tight and greased. this link and frame mount has been updated through the years. my guess is mostly lack of service in this area or over tightening of the bolts. there is really not a lot of force through this link as its only to keep the perch straight under the air bag at all trailing arm positions 

OK I can see it now.  Thanks.  So the new beefer brackets are for the end you are pointing at.  I can see you would not need them with hime's installed there.

The upper cage bar is now permanent, the next bar is tacked in but the jury is out on what comes below. I mocked up a mini Funco style hoop (first three pics) im leaning towards that style, or a more conventional cage (last two)  Your thoughts?

IMG_1122.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1126.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

here is the traditional Funco cage, my hoop is shorter and wider than this one, the last two pics of the typical buggy but with a slight dog leg and lowered the tow bar

IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

This is awesome!

Gonna look good!

6 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

here is the traditional Funco cage, my hoop is shorter and wider than this one, the last two pics of the typical buggy but with a slight dog leg and lowered the tow bar

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

That looks good. maybe run the skid plate up to the middle (second bar) and cut your logo onto it like SU did on theirs. It would also help hid the motor which has nothing going for it in the looks department.

Looks similar to AlumiCraft. I personally like everything but the wing .....

58 minutes ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

That looks good. maybe run the skid plate up to the middle (second bar) and cut your logo onto it like SU did on theirs. It would also help hid the motor which has nothing going for it in the looks department.

well im anti skid plate, they act like snow shoes and keep you on top of the sand during a g-out, so no go there. And that motor is super sexy! may I say all go and no show? I did one more pic with a slight bend in the two vertical bars

IMG_1132.JPG