John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

15 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Some pics of the final cage, there will be one more lower bar with a tow tab (as I tow a lot!)  these tube clamps are not the traditional hand shake style but came from Funco, they have less shear but use larger bolts. originally I was going to have to have the Funco units as the two rear cage bars were at a compound angle to one another, but then  I put a little upper bend at the top of the tubes and made them come into one plane. this would have allowed me to use the other style. but im liking the Funco units.  They use them for the UTV cages they do.  I thank you all about 3 months ago when I was looking at other cage options, as I would have picked something different, but this came out simple and sexy!  Care was taken to clock the cage bolts exactly straight back for a sano look.

As far as the wastegate selection, the web sites I visited really just talked about turbo sizing, not wastegate choice.  I will be staying/trying the MVR 44mm unit even though in the future the motor will even be bigger displacement. I feel it will work great.  Rockwood, that Ceramic turbine wheel sounds awesome, but not for me--too fragile for what I do.

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

Great job. I think the 44 will be fine as well unless you went small on the turbine housing. 

Not ceramic. It’s an axial wheel:

DBoutline-XL.jpg

Uses both sides of the wheel (2 in, 1 out) instead of just one in/out. Better performance than a ceramic or Titanium Alumide wheel with standard materials because there’s less radius needed to make the same flow (inertia being an exponent of radius). These things spool super fast and throttle response is nearly like an N/A motor. 

Edited by Rockwood

Funco owners use the term LEBEC a lot, when talking among themselves about other peoples cars.  Definition: Like Everybody Body Elses' Car.  That's because nothing looks/performs like a Funco right?, Well im going to start using the term LEBEF!

I have been having fun making this car unique to me.  Here is the new front end of my Gen 5 car. the windshield bars used to past the upper shock towers by 4" and formed the front bumper,  I landed the windshield bars to the upper shock tower.  Narrowed the front nose by 8", 4" per side and also landed them there. IMHO this make for a stronger car, but it was very time consuming. It will also prevent less cracks where I have been having some before in a previous page in this thread. (Look at post 2 on page 1 to see the old front end design and previous cracks)  right above the shock tabs I will be dressing it up with a single plate that will tie the 2 bars and shock tower together.

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

the cage is all welded, super easy to come off, looks great.  The car is substantially smaller then the newer Funcos in all dimensions but still has a 122 wheel base. my car when next to a GTX/GTU looks like its a mini.

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1456.JPG

gussets, motor mounts, even got a water line back from chroming, im using 7/16" pinch bolts, cause  I do a lot of towing. The small removable piece of the motor mount will be replaced with one that captures 2 bolts and more oil midpan surface

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1457.JPG

Moving on to the dash, first pic is of the original Funco dash  (available for $50, never painted) there is no good way to use this dash with an enclosed hood which im planning. The 7" AEM dash is too big to sit behind my steering wheel and not all would be visible and I want a flat dash cover (not raised in front of the steering wheel that is typical for gauge cluster) so it works out great in the center of car. Taking the car over to SU sandcars and pay Ramon and Ed a visit, they will be doing my dash, lets see how it comes out.  I will be drilling the final gauge holes and switch holes to my liking.  I love doing proto types in cardboard and visiting it several times, making changes until it feels right. Also doing it cardboard removes all doubt of what im looking for, way too many times have I seen the request be left up to the fab guy and it comes out wrong. the dash is simple but functional. I don't like a lot of switches near my ignition switch, so its solo. I will still have 2 analog gauges (oil pressure and water temp) as redundant and easy to look to gauges.

IMG_1479.JPG

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.JPG

Maybe pivot the AEM towards driver position. I mounted mine flat just for first impressions and I will be changing it for less glare at a quick glance. 

45 minutes ago, jo blo said:

Maybe pivot the AEM towards driver position. I mounted mine flat just for first impressions and I will be changing it for less glare at a quick glance. 

yes I looked at that and have the option to do  it later as the bracket is separate from the dash and mounting diagonal is less width then like it is, but truly im not looking at it often. I will have a mini visor for the entire dash cover to also help with glare.  Do you have an AEM dash yourself?

How long is "yore" Funco? this is measured from the front of the front bumper to the very most rear of my car.  Note the front tires are 2" more forward than the front bumper is

so Im !3' 10" long but my wheel base is still 122"

IMG_1480.JPG

23 hours ago,  jo blo said: 

yes I looked at that and have the option to do  it later as the bracket is separate from the dash and mounting diagonal is less width then like it is, but truly im not looking at it often. I will have a mini visor for the entire dash cover to also help with glare.  Do you have an AEM dash yourself?

Yes. I like it a lot. Gps speedometer is one of the options I needed. It’s a simple add on. Also I have it displaying trans temp, fuel pressure, oil pressure and temp. 

some sheet metal work, deciding on having a door in the front of the hood for a storage area (tow strap, zip ties, etc) But with it only being four dzus tabs i may just leave it like it is.  Just take the front hood off when needed.

I will not be adding any more sheet metal on the sides of the front end, i like the air flow and accessibility 

intercooler scoop is next, then im done with new sheet metal, only have to add the side scoops

dash 1.JPG

dash 2.JPG

dash 3.JPG

dash 4.JPG

pics of the drivers view, simple, i did not want the whole bezel around the AEM dash. only two gauges and 2 lights will be seen through the wheel

dash 5.JPG

dash 6.JPG

Nlce work John.  Clean and uncluttered.

5 minutes ago, fastcorvairs said:

Nlce work John.  Clean and uncluttered.

thanks Glen, the corners of the dash are sharp so when I get it back I will back fill and make them nice and round

John, make sure your visibility is good .......I did something similar with an alumicraft dash that hondajimz gave me and I needed to adjust my seat height a bit....It is amazing how much a small bit of dash can effect visibility in the dunes.

The pics look low enough but thought Id mention it because I just went thru it last season..........

Car looks insane....cant wait to see the teardown,....new green powder and see it in person

AWESOME BUILD

:poule:

4 minutes ago, POULE43 said:

John, make sure your visibility is good .......I did something similar with an alumicraft dash that hondajimz gave me and I needed to adjust my seat height a bit....It is amazing how much a small bit of dash can effect visibility in the dunes.

The pics look low enough but thought Id mention it because I just went thru it last season..........

Car looks insane....cant wait to see the teardown,....new green powder and see it in person

AWESOME BUILD

:poule:

Yes, good idea.  It is very low. in fact if you look at the post half way up page 11 where I have the one piece white Funco dash cover shown .... mine is lower than that (basically if you  cut off the two peaks it has....that is the height of my new one).  when I pick it up from fab guys I will take some actual eye level views from inside.  believe it or not, the front bars that used to go to the bumper are now attached to the shock tower, I have even a more unobstructed view than before!

When you break it all down all and want to do something cool with the floor boards let me know. Green and black with Outfront Motor Sports in the clear coat?

11 minutes ago, Stugots said:

When you break it all down all and want to do something cool with the floor boards let me know. Green and black with Outfront Motor Sports in the clear coat?

show us some pics of what you can do but my floor is expanded metal for the whole thing. Its old school but I love it, why, zero sand collects inside my car, and I can see through it to (if im in a wheelie)  and I think I weighed it and its lighter than aluminum as Im weight conscious.

:simrak:  I guess I could of scrolled up and seen the obvious expanded metal floor board :lol:. I had in my mind the aluminum 5 bar plate..

Ya would be tough to coat that.

BTW really enjoy this thread you have done a fantastic job on your car, can't wait to see it.

just got back from sheet metal, the look is coming together. Im happy with the results. the view from the drivers seat is way open and un obstructed. dash is simple, looking forward to mounting some gauges lights and switches.  radio will mount under dash super tight and to the left of the AEM dash.  there will be small storage under the front panel, was planning on a hinge but is just as easy to remove 4 dzus tabs and cheaper.  Custom aluminum work is not cheap

next on the list, mount side scoops, front lights, install gauges, idiot lights and switches

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1521.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

Looking good! Thx for posting the summer build thread, keep the pics coming!

Been a month John, what ya been doing? Need a up date on this forever project. 

On 9/9/2018 at 4:54 AM, fastcorvairs said:

Been a month John, what ya been doing? Need a up date on this forever project. 

The slacker is probably in Hawaii....

Yea and probably riding in a helicopter or something cool like that. 

Decorating for Christmas?