Jump to content
John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

Recommended Posts

my lower water line used to go through the frame, I ended up scraping the idea, nicely tucked into the frame

IMG_7112.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Air Lift system is going in, fuel tank has a small sump, just added the 3/8 NPT bung for fuel Temp. and will be monitoring it off my dash.  There is a compensation map that can be set up based on fuel temp.  it is a reality that after a few hours that fuel temp could raise by 20 deg or more.  that means motor could run leaner.  think of buggies that have the radiator blowing hot air onto the fuel tank right?

IMG_7113.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

under side of dash, uncluttered.  personally I don't like center consoles as they make me feel too confined and cant lay my legs over to the other side while resting in my car.

IMG_7114.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice work John, always a pleasure watching your builds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my big power source for my radio is right there, easy to tap off of and go to the dash.   if you look very close to the gas tank about mid way up you see internal welds (bumps about 2" long)  and even one vertical in the center.  My tank has been divided into 4 mini tanks with tight fitting baffles internally so fuel is captured in their own compartments and doesn't slosh around.  only 1 1/2" hole lets fuel go down below the  mid baffle (and around the sides).  Have you ever thought about the weight of fuel going from right to left, or up and down in the tank?  my tank is 25 gallons, custom made.  if I had 1/2 a tank full and no baffles and went right, left and then right I have about 90lbs of fuel  impacting my CG and literally is tipping my buggy over (think of a loose 90 pound object moving around and then stop in the worst possible place in my car during a corner!)  besides the fuel "hitting" the inside of my tank during a turn it actually goes up the side of my tank too, raising the cg.  So I have both a horizontal and vertical baffles,  so once im at 1/2 tank the fuel left literally doesn't  move in the car during turning (it doesn't shift and it doesn't raise the cg).    my car turns so flat its stupid.  note in the one pic the bottom of the tank is tilting back to the sump so all fuel is used and is easy to drain in the off season as all fuel leaves the tank.  some of you have fuel tanks that cant get the last 2" out of.  What if you have e85?   The little sump I have has a bung at the bottom for easy draining.

even in a round 13 gallon tank half full, its still 40lbs moving around uncontrollable.  best place for a full tank if possible is on the ground, funco gets it.  tall skinny SU and other cars have a tall skinny tank, so during a corner fuel can raise high to one side (think cg)  even worse is to have a 15 gallon tank up high like at the mid bar and then going a sloshing side to side.  Why does no one talk about this stuff?    How about jumping?   While taking off,   the fuel could all go up and hit the top of the tank....hmmmmmm

note my tank is right behind seats so the front /rear bias is improved near mid engine cars

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7117.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just some plumbing. have you ever had your Funco blow a power steering line at the motor?  It will always blow on the outside radius of the line off the pump.  Super hot oil is searing the inside of the Teflon and its not really a good idea.  The quick fix would be to cut the hose back 3 feet and make a union.  This can be done with out taking out the long hose.   You will need to remove it at the rack and back flush it out.  Then you can put in a high pressure rubber rated hose for the first 3 feet.  I have the super high rated hose, but then I took it one step further and ran hard line to the drivers seat.

IMG_7116.JPG

IMG_7118.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few more pics.  Fuel tank and motor are going in early next week.

IMG_7119.JPG

IMG_7120.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic is from my phone so you can see real color

15412068637668782377186789197296.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15412070304818729845665127733240.jpg

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this pic^^^^^

I like how the rear end bars and lights came out .  Super strong too!

This bellhousing is custom made and only made three of them (for the sequential trans)  I do still make this for the 2d and pbs sequential.  This allows the Subaru motor to mate directly with the tranny and no adapter plate

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 10:38 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

you really want to do the seals, sand is the enemy.  pack it all the way with grease on both sides and add seals!!!  I have a set for $65 for all eight.

School me on this John.  I assume you use the teflon lined uniballs, just like all the front end heims.  Doesn't that keep the sand from causing wear and tear?   Or are you just going one step beyond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

School me on this John.  I assume you use the teflon lined uniballs, just like all the front end heims.  Doesn't that keep the sand from causing wear and tear?   Or are you just going one step beyond?

what ever funco sells as they are machined to fit our arms.  these are a very bad wearing item,  before i would have to replace them once every 3 years of hard driving.   silt is brutal and once its worn a little, it degrades quickly.  You should 100% do this.  Front heims wear out really bad.   The sand/silt hides in the crack between the heim and the mis alingment spacers.  Every cycle of the arm allows more to get in there.  My next big adventure will be to address the lower front arm, even bigger outer heim 1" and a different pivot setup at the frame. (next summer)

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CHIZZLE said:

School me on this John.  I assume you use the teflon lined uniballs, just like all the front end heims.  Doesn't that keep the sand from causing wear and tear?   Or are you just going one step beyond?

BTW was it you who said there is no way i could make Thanksgiving?  Well....................??

I may run out of time to do the wiring as i wanted to so i might have to strap on my old harness and then do it afterwards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, force feed said:

Very nice work John, always a pleasure watching your builds.

?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for sharing the build so thoroughly, you’ve been modifying this car for a a few years and it’s awesome to see the latest installment. I’m with you on CG, and scoff at sand cars with gas tanks placed high in the chassis. For my next car (early 1990s SCU mid engine) I plan on having a fuel tank built similar to what you’ve done, I didn’t consider the horizontal baffles and that’s a great idea. Who built the tank? Also, my tank will sit low directly behind the seats, offset with the battery next to it for balance. Probably put both more towards the passenger side as I’m 220 lbs and my girlfriend is half that weight. Also, the radiator will sit low and angled back between the fuel tank and the 2.5 (out front of course) for weight distribution and appearance. so yes my good man, not many consider CG but I’m definitely on board with the though process

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

my big power source for my radio is right there, easy to tap off of and go to the dash.   if you look very close to the gas tank about mid way up you see internal welds (bumps about 2" long)  and even one vertical in the center.  My tank has been divided into 4 mini tanks with tight fitting baffles internally so fuel is captured in their own compartments and doesn't slosh around.  only 1 1/2" hole lets fuel go down below the  mid baffle (and around the sides).  Have you ever thought about the weight of fuel going from right to left, or up and down in the tank?  my tank is 25 gallons, custom made.  if I had 1/2 a tank full and no baffles and went right, left and then right I have about 90lbs of fuel  impacting my CG and literally is tipping my buggy over (think of a loose 90 pound object moving around and then stop in the worst possible place in my car during a corner!)  besides the fuel "hitting" the inside of my tank during a turn it actually goes up the side of my tank too, raising the cg.  So I have both a horizontal and vertical baffles,  so once im at 1/2 tank the fuel left literally doesn't  move in the car during turning (it doesn't shift and it doesn't raise the cg).    my car turns so flat its stupid.  note in the one pic the bottom of the tank is tilting back to the sump so all fuel is used and is easy to drain in the off season as all fuel leaves the tank.  some of you have fuel tanks that cant get the last 2" out of.  What if you have e85?   The little sump I have has a bung at the bottom for easy draining.

even in a round 13 gallon tank half full, its still 40lbs moving around uncontrollable.  best place for a full tank if possible is on the ground, funco gets it.  tall skinny SU and other cars have a tall skinny tank, so during a corner fuel can raise high to one side (think cg)  even worse is to have a 15 gallon tank up high like at the mid bar and then going a sloshing side to side.  Why does no one talk about this stuff?    How about jumping?   While taking off,   the fuel could all go up and hit the top of the tank....hmmmmmm

note my tank is right behind seats so the front /rear bias is improved near mid engine cars

Kind sorta if you have a V8 Funco you get the tank under the seat AND a tall skinny one that sits right behind the rear seat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

Kind sorta if you have a V8 Funco you get the tank under the seat AND a tall skinny one that sits right behind the rear seat. 

Yeah that was suppose to say fuel not full tank.  Yeah i know that tall skinny one. Not the best for cg but its a must if you have 4 seats.  Everything is a compromise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Yeah that was suppose to say fuel not full tank.  Yeah i know that tall skinny one. Not the best for cg but its a must if you have 4 seats.  Everything is a compromise

I find it interesting to see the differences between a Subi Funco and a V8 Funco.

Over the years we have seen you do some really cool stuff to your car.  Has Funco taken some of your ideas and implemented them in their cars?  They could actually offer a special Outfront model with all your upgrades. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good John, nicely done ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Conrad said:

Thx for sharing the build so thoroughly, you’ve been modifying this car for a a few years and it’s awesome to see the latest installment. I’m with you on CG, and scoff at sand cars with gas tanks placed high in the chassis. For my next car (early 1990s SCU mid engine) I plan on having a fuel tank built similar to what you’ve done, I didn’t consider the horizontal baffles and that’s a great idea. Who built the tank? Also, my tank will sit low directly behind the seats, offset with the battery next to it for balance. Probably put both more towards the passenger side as I’m 220 lbs and my girlfriend is half that weight. Also, the radiator will sit low and angled back between the fuel tank and the 2.5 (out front of course) for weight distribution and appearance. so yes my good man, not many consider CG but I’m definitely on board with the though process

I built the tank myself.  When im back at the shop ill take a few more pics of other things i did to the tank too.  People have commented on watching my car from behind.  They say it looks like a spider on the side of a hill. It just plan sticks and rarely  get "out of shape"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I find it interesting to see the differences between a Subi Funco and a V8 Funco.

Over the years we have seen you do some really cool stuff to your car.  Has Funco taken some of your ideas and implemented them in their cars?  They could actually offer a special Outfront model with all your upgrades. :lol: 

Funco's success is theirs to own.  Great product and always improving their cars.  Can't say they have adopted any of my ideas as most of them would take too much time.  Time is money. There is a happy median of practicle vs custom.  Grant has never bashed any of my ideas. They have done some "outback bars" on the gen 4/5 cars.   Then again i suppose if you are paying $2-300k the  customer can get anything they want ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome thread! Love all of the details with pics of everything and great explanations of how and why! Hope to see you and it in person someday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I built the tank myself.  When im back at the shop ill take a few more pics of other things i did to the tank too.  People have commented on watching my car from behind.  They say it looks like a spider on the side of a hill. It just plan sticks and rarely  get "out of shape"

If people are watching you from behind, you must be leading the blue hair group thru the dunes. 

:js:

:lmao:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Funco's success is theirs to own.  Great product and always improving their cars.  Can't say they have adopted any of my ideas as most of them would take too much time.  Time is money. There is a happy median of practicle vs custom.  Grant has never bashed any of my ideas. They have done some "outback bars" on the gen 4/5 cars.   Then again i suppose if you are paying $2-300k the  customer can get anything they want ?

Very true statement. When I win the lotto the first thing I'm buying is a brand new G52!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Preview Post

More Links

©2001 GlamisDunes.com.
All rights reserved.

×
×
  • Create New...