John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

On 11/25/2019 at 10:01 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

I like the video from above the car, didn't like it so much on the second video as you just see a lot of the dash,  thanks that helps!

Only bummer is the higher the camera, the more it flattens terrain and slows the perceived motion down.  Another fun angle is on the outside bars on the driver's side at elbow level.  

10 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

it would appear he might have mounted the caliper at 3 an 9 oclock?  funco doesnt have an issue with 9" rotors so im not sure why "larger" than 10" would make a difference . my calipers are more at 10 and 2oclock.  this is by the custom caliper bracket i made to mimic the stock funco location.  pics will come as thats a great thing to double check.  BTW are you 2 piston or 4 piston calipers.  post some pics!

They are about 9:30 and 1:30 where the bleeders can still do some good. But that’s about as far as they can be clocked without a total redesign of the existing uprights. Two piston wilwoods. I don’t have great pictures currently but here is something to help paint the picture. You can see the caliper bracket hitting the arm in the first one and the fitting hitting the arm in the second. The fitting has been changed to a 90* from the 45 and that helped a little. 

FCACAF12-5624-42EB-840F-0E9E0E9728C2.jpeg

C18B24AA-8ADC-44E1-A957-D84AE3714EDE.jpeg

2" combo update, came out nice!  my next weak link is my lower 7/8 hiem,  this update will have to wait until the summer.  10 rotors, pistons are larger diameter too so will have more braking pressure. Note how close I was able to get the rotor to the knuckle assy.  this helps with the scrub radius.   I also tried and could fit an 11" rotor and even a 4 piston caliper but didn't think it warranted the size or weight--maybe a little over kill to go with that

I still like the idea of having gauges on my brake masters to see what im netting for PSI as I have dual masters.

weight? it wasn't even worth my time, I suppose it might be 1 or 2 pounds more per side

IMG_8209.JPG

IMG_8210.JPG

IMG_8211.JPG

IMG_8212.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

Thats a nice clean set up John!

just had to retire a paddle tire, hmmmm I wonder why? I always run 14/15psi, this is just from  sliding with the gas on in every turn :) it just tears the chords right out of the side wall.     anyways I am always still looking for good used tires if you know anyone  16.50x15 dune sport #2 if you know please let me know.  I just heard of a set that someone tried and it was too much tire for them, but cant find the add (it was some sort of Instagram listing) .  if you see it please PM me

20191210_123330.jpg

time to change out my belts.   figured I show what I purchased, love these seat belts

I don't like the cam locks cause I think the sand gets in there.  I like the separate shoulder harnesses from the lap belts for easy escape. they have multiple color options for all parts of the belts

one week to build and ships from the east.  pull up to tighten is the only way to go

out with the old, in with the new

IMG_8295.JPG

IMG_8290.JPG

IMG_8296.JPG

Awesome belts.  The cam locks have been perfect for me.  4 seasons now, no issues.

Edited by CHIZZLE

hey john, back when you were mocking up the rear cage you had a wing placed in pics, do you have a link to the wing by chance?

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 9:52 PM, Kevin said:

hey john, back when you were mocking up the rear cage you had a wing placed in pics, do you have a link to the wing by chance?

I don't, I bought it years ago, It has no name on it. it is Carbon fiber.  I should look at it again on my car but it could be for sale.  I think I paid $150 or so for it.

So its been another season.  the car is amazing and with the low CG its really a treat to drive.  I still consider this the fastest car "in the dunes".  Some have lost $100's trying to find out.  For some last minuet upgrades I modified some Wilwood calipers so they would fit on the Funco rear arms. (Funcos are proprietary. I think I had to mill off about .120" off of the caliper's mounting tabs for them to work).  I am going to get two gauges on the front and rear brake  lines so I can see the bias and performance of the twin master setup

I did get a crack in my frame after 2 seasons.  I wasn't expecting one here.  I have cracked more bars on the Funcos that  I have had and have upgraded all those areas on my current frame.  You can see by the pics that I haven't even used my sway bar since painted as I'm not sure I need it.  The bar my finger is on is not a Funco bar but comes from the front tranny mount up to this area.  in the past my tranny and motor mounts have had to be extra strong as they have broken way too many times.  now the bars that hold the whole light weight motor and tranny assy into the car are seeing some new stresses.  this area will be welded and gusseted.   frame is 4340 steel

working on some new rear custom rims too. 

new motor status.  I just had some super custom H11 head studs made for my motor $950 a set,  these head studs and new motor package will allow me to reach the 900hp range if I need to, truth be told I do most of my duning at 650hp (engine) cause anything higher is flat out stupid in this car.  because most others cant assimilate what I'm saying or feeling. you would need to be in a 1500hp v8 car that had no body roll to appreciate what I'm feeling and it still wouldn't be as fun

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8494.JPG

IMG_8495.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG