John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

Years of minor changes, additions, subtractions and relocations all coming together in this thread. John, super cool of you to share all of this. Cant wait to see it without bare metal and glowing in the dark.

Plexiglass cam/ timing cover with a billet standoff? Possibly backlit by green LEDs?

Seriously nice work and great info in this thread, carry on...

Thank you all for your suggestions, this is my final design.  Am I a Fun-Craft or an Alumi-Co?  not sure but I like it.  the light scheme will be low red outer lights and inner amber lights for day time and night, then when brakes applied all outer go full power. They are so bright that the picture came out dark trying to compensate. The lights are in a temporary steel 3.5" tube.

I also have something that has come up so I wont be posting for 2 weeks, then back at it full steam ahead. Tell me what you think, I'm always taking suggestions

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

That looks great!

that looks great John,  very interesting about the skid plate makes total sense.  parts can be replaced back not so much. 

Good show John.  It all came together real nice.  Like the way it all flows in the same direction.  

I like it. It's going to look great all finished up!

12 hours ago, Squatcher said:

that looks great John,  very interesting about the skid plate makes total sense.  parts can be replaced back not so much. 

yep, you will always hear stories, especially for back seat passengers getting a spinal compression due to an instant stop.  If your car is used in sand only, there is real no reason to have a skid plate. there is nothing to "poke" a hole in anything. having a skid plate under the tranny is the same thing. suppose you take a jump and land high centering a little sand bump..... i would  like the sand to hit and pass through my two bars and tranny case rather than hitting, and coming to a dead stop on my skid plate.  Have you ever heard of someone breaking a tranny in half with out a skid plate--no.  I have seen some compressed Subaru oil pans, even though we reinforce the bottom with steel plate, the sides are not strong.  On that note all of our oil pans have a small 3/16" rod welded across the face of the pickup so that if it is "cased" badly. the pick-up would bend up with it and not starve the engine.  A pan is only $270. pick your poison

10 hours ago, SANDPSYCHO said:

I like it. It's going to look great all finished up!

Im just getting started, if you notice in some pics i had run the lower water line through the frame. this was a cool idea but would have been even better if the car was first made that way. I did it after the car was done and there are too many pipes and welds that the water had to pass through and not leak. I dont want to take a chance that after my car is painted that a leak spring up (its not as if i haven't had cracks in my frame right?) so i will be cutting this whole right frame tube out of the car and installing new tranny and engine mounts too.  My motor mounts have cracked in multiple cars i have owned so they will be made out of 3/16 Chrome Moly plate, then gusseted and bolt bosses welded on too. I will admit that when i did this upgrade 4 years ago i welded the right frame rail in a little crooked in one plane. it was .25" lower by the time it reached my cage and it drove me crazy so this will be corrected on this redo.

list of next things to do:

right rear frame rail, replace/delete water through frame

final rear cage

upgrading to a 1" lower front heim on both sides

new turbo/intercooler location and aluminum work

extra upper tranny support

new header

That looks really great!

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

the battery switch at the back of the car or a hard to reach area like inside a door etc is not helpful if you had an emergency. I once had a loose metal object rolling arounfd the floor of my car. it happened to lodge between my battery disconnect and the SS clutch line. it killed my car, hmmm I get out and the next thing I see is smoke coming from my car, the clutch line is now orange for about 6" I kill the battery switch, throwing sand, freeking out. I pause for a moment and then its getting oranger!. now im really freeking out. I try yanking the battery cables off my car (all the while thinking what the crap is going on) I couldn't pull them off. I had to get tools out and quickly disconnect. after relaxing for a moment I realized the metal object was on the battery side of the switch so it didn't help to turn it off.

Well anyways my battery switch is within arms length when im seat belted in, its also 4" off the ground for future rolling objects.

the damage was my clutch line needed to be replaced as it sprung a leak

IMG_1145.JPG

I always use the Battery Disconnect to disconnect the Negative cable. That way you never have this problem and you still can immobilize the car with it.

10 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

yep, you will always hear stories, especially for back seat passengers getting a spinal compression due to an instant stop.  If your car is used in sand only, there is real no reason to have a skid plate. there is nothing to "poke" a hole in anything. having a skid plate under the tranny is the same thing. suppose you take a jump and land high centering a little sand bump..... i would  like the sand to hit and pass through my two bars and tranny case rather than hitting, and coming to a dead stop on my skid plate.  Have you ever heard of someone breaking a tranny in half with out a skid plate--no.  I have seen some compressed Subaru oil pans, even though we reinforce the bottom with steel plate, the sides are not strong.  On that note all of our oil pans have a small 3/16" rod welded across the face of the pickup so that if it is "cased" badly. the pick-up would bend up with it and not starve the engine.  A pan is only $270. pick your poison

I welded plate steel on the bottom of my pan and also along the side for extra strength. No skid plate.  John, I really like reading your posts. Never would have known about the gusset kit. Got mine all welded in today. That is a lot of welding! Should be super strong now. Thank you for the nice kit.  I added one more little piece on the top where both of mine were cracked. You mentioned the steering rack mount and now I am afraid to look at it. :blink::sha:

Oil pan spacer.jpg

20180425_164157.jpg

20180425_164202.jpg

20180425_164207.jpg

19 minutes ago, onanysunday said:

I welded plate steel on the bottom of my pan and also along the side for extra strength. No skid plate.  John, I really like reading your posts. Never would have known about the gusset kit. Got mine all welded in today. That is a lot of welding! Should be super strong now. Thank you for the nice kit.  I added one more little piece on the top where both of mine were cracked. You mentioned the steering rack mount and now I am afraid to look at it. :blink::sha:

Oil pan spacer.jpg

20180425_164157.jpg

20180425_164202.jpg

20180425_164207.jpg

sweeeeet

On 4/23/2018 at 10:50 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

ok or is it this way?  This probably looks the best but does leave my motor most exposed, looks?

IMG_1136.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

that's the one

On 4/24/2018 at 6:25 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

Thank you all for your suggestions, this is my final design.  Am I a Fun-Craft or an Alumi-Co?  not sure but I like it.  the light scheme will be low red outer lights and inner amber lights for day time and night, then when brakes applied all outer go full power. They are so bright that the picture came out dark trying to compensate. The lights are in a temporary steel 3.5" tube.

I also have something that has come up so I wont be posting for 2 weeks, then back at it full steam ahead. Tell me what you think, I'm always taking suggestions

IMG_1148.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

IMG_1150.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

IMG_1152.JPG

i like that as well tooooo many options, I'd dub that one (Johnny 5 is a bad a$$) 

johnny5.jpg.e453f2fa53e4b94190037638bd01a579.jpg

johnny_5_is_alive_by_cybermonkeytron3000.jpg

Edited by jugernaut
found better image

I like the final design.

Call this what it is John - FunOutfront

What about funoutback? Oh that's right dam car cumpany...

John your car is coming out nice.  Also can you post a link to your new lights..

Thanks 

7 hours ago, DuneTrack-N said:

I like the final design.

Call this what it is John - FunOutfront

Outfrontco

17 hours ago, Fireman said:

John your car is coming out nice.  Also can you post a link to your new lights..

Thanks 

This is what he posted in a separate thread

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-motorcycle-LED-taillight-brake-light-turn-signal-round-universal-fit-1PCE/401382469648?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

On 4/25/2018 at 6:22 PM, onanysunday said:

Oil pan spacer.jpg

Did the same to my motor.  Paint didn't last long, but no issues with the motor.

In our group, we call them "skid pans".

That's funny, we call them a glide plate, helps u not lose momentum when you scrape belly on the ridge when transitioning sideways from bowl to bowl...