John@Outfront Mtrsprts

So it begins, My Gen 5 summer 2018 conversion, Outfront Style

On 4/25/2018 at 7:37 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

yep, you will always hear stories, especially for back seat passengers getting a spinal compression due to an instant stop.  If your car is used in sand only, there is real no reason to have a skid plate. there is nothing to "poke" a hole in anything. having a skid plate under the tranny is the same thing. suppose you take a jump and land high centering a little sand bump..... i would  like the sand to hit and pass through my two bars and tranny case rather than hitting, and coming to a dead stop on my skid plate.  Have you ever heard of someone breaking a tranny in half with out a skid plate--no.  I have seen some compressed Subaru oil pans, even though we reinforce the bottom with steel plate, the sides are not strong.  On that note all of our oil pans have a small 3/16" rod welded across the face of the pickup so that if it is "cased" badly. the pick-up would bend up with it and not starve the engine.  A pan is only $270. pick your poison

That’s crazy someone would case it so bad to bend the skid plate and crush an oil pan and bend motor mounts :howdy1:

On 4/28/2018 at 12:50 AM, DeviantDuner said:

That’s crazy someone would case it so bad to bend the skid plate and crush an oil pan and bend motor mounts :howdy1:

Guy in our camp did that. John recently fixed it. 

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Guy in our camp did that. John recently fixed it. 

Lmao! I am the guy in your camp donkey! And John knows who I be, lol

16 minutes ago, DeviantDuner said:

Lmao! I am the guy in your camp donkey! And John knows who I be, lol

That's what happened??.........ouch.

5 hours ago, spize909 said:

That's what happened??.........ouch.

And then some! Lol 

taco’d the front rims again, separated the trans from the motor, and then and then, lol

Its all good now, John got it all fixed up and beafier then before, OMF straightened out the rims and added inside rings. Ran the shit out of it last time out and ran like a champ.

It’s going to King Adam in 2 weeks for full body too, because I like throwing money away :makerain:

6 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

And then some! Lol 

taco’d the front rims again, separated the trans from the motor, and then and then, lol

Its all good now, John got it all fixed up and beafier then before, OMF straightened out the rims and added inside rings. Ran the shit out of it last time out and ran like a champ.

It’s going to King Adam in 2 weeks for full body too, because I like throwing money away :makerain:

I saw the separation pics.........I like your tin work the way it is. Simple but to each his own. See you next year unless we get in on a summer trip but my car is gonna get a new engine so that probably won't happen for me.

OK, John, you can have your thread back. I'm sure Tim's given you enough money to pay for the threadjack.

7 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

And then some! Lol 

I can attest to that.  

Also: I hate you.  Some mods going into my motor this offseason....  Probably pull the trans for a refresh too, it'll need it.

16 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I can attest to that.  

Also: I hate you.  Some mods going into my motor this offseason....  Probably pull the trans for a refresh too, it'll need it.

Depending on KATG timeframe, if it gets done in decent amount of time John may be getting it back for more power, so he can do more upgrades to his funco, lol

i feel like i need a boost level for drags only, lol - so I can hurt twin turbo LS guy’s feelings too. 

Ok carry on with your thread John, I’m sure I’ll see ya sooner then later 

Edited by DeviantDuner

10 hours ago, DeviantDuner said:

Depending on KATG timeframe, if it gets done in decent amount of time John may be getting it back for more power, so he can do more upgrades to his funco, lol

i feel like i need a boost level for drags only, lol - so I can hurt twin turbo LS guy’s feelings too. 

Ok carry on with your thread John, I’m sure I’ll see ya sooner then later 

looking forward to it Tim. time for a stroker motor. glad to hear all is well and that you were able to get back out before the end of the season. I still will not have any more buggy updates until about a week

On 4/19/2018 at 4:34 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

now comes very tedious pipe fitting to splice into existing pipes, this is why Funco doesn't like to do conversions and would rather sell a new car, its unappreciated work.  the second pic is of the new HD lower air bag perch, they have added some gussets

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

Welded mine up today. Front and back were wallowed out so I machined and added more surface area for longer bolts. Not sure if that is the best way but how I did it. 

20180501_141913.jpg

20180429_144512.jpg

Bolts are cuttable.  Just sayin'.

well two things.  he appears to have done that because his holes were getting egg shaped through the current thinner pivot bracket. and he still should get a longer bolt and cut threads so the threads are not cutting into bracket. that works.  this bolt should not be tight and the shank greased. that doesn't look like a nylock and must be. if there is no room use a thin nylock as this bolt should be less than snug

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

weld washers wouldn't have fixed it?

sure. not much force there when set up right. it's overkill but won't hurt

well I was out of country for 3 weeks in Israel and Jordan, it was awesome, we came back one week before the Embassy open. Wonderful country to visit

Back to the buggy, I did a lot of cutting and removed my "water in frame" right side of my tranny bar and had custom 3/16 chrome moly tranny mounts made and changed the location of engine and tranny by 1/4" up.

The additional trailing arm supports are a little busy but for me needed, I like it

IMG_1252.JPG

IMG_1249.JPG

IMG_1250.JPG

IMG_1251.JPG

more random pics as my car is coming apart, note radiator is absolutely on the floor of the car, fuel tank is far forward with multiple baffels and a small collection sump for supply and return, this sump has a few more bungs to monitor fuel temp and ethanol content in the future so I could run e85 or race gas or any combination in-between. Note my fuel fill neck is "not" connected to my frame. I saw a car that killed the driver and the fill neck was mounted to the frame and clear tube connected it to the tank, when the buggy was crashed and bent up it tore the filler away from the tank spilling gas everywhere. air tank is for adding onboard air ride/compressor and will make the morning airing up ritual a thing of the past.

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1255.JPG

thinking about doing a front end storage area with flip lid for tools, jacket, etc, if I do that I may remove the entire fiberglass dash and do something unique as far as the dash is concerned. maybe close in the front a little more

IMG_1256.JPG

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1259.JPG

here are some tabs that hold the lower rear air bag pivots to the arm (not my car) we are changing out these tabs for some reinforced chrome moly units

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

On 5/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

well two things.  he appears to have done that because his holes were getting egg shaped through the current thinner pivot bracket. and he still should get a longer bolt and cut threads so the threads are not cutting into bracket. that works.  this bolt should not be tight and the shank greased. that doesn't look like a nylock and must be. if there is no room use a thin nylock as this bolt should be less than snug

Correct on all 3. Yes they were egg shaped. Yes there are no threads even with the extra surface area. Yes it will have a nylock. Glad to see you back. I was thinking about your thread and about to give you a :popcorn:

Nice work John.  Nice to have some time off to enjoy life sometimes.  Wish I could run a welding bead that nice, I can make everything stick and not break but it aint that pretty.  

11 minutes ago, fastcorvairs said:

Nice work John.  Nice to have some time off to enjoy life sometimes.  Wish I could run a welding bead that nice, I can make everything stick and not break but it aint that pretty.  

well I wish I could take credit but the TIG is from my fab guy here at work and the mig is a friend that does it for a living. if those were 10's then im an 8 on welding

15 minutes ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

well I wish I could take credit but the TIG is from my fab guy here at work and the mig is a friend that does it for a living. if those were 10's then im an 8 on welding

Then that make's me between a 4 and 5.

3 hours ago, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

here are some tabs that hold the lower rear air bag pivots to the arm (not my car) we are changing out these tabs for some reinforced chrome moly units

IMG_1263.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1260.JPG

Are the  original  Tabs not  Chrome Molly  . I thought Funco cars are 100% built with  Chrome Molly  

On 6/5/2018 at 9:47 PM, cmcmotors said:

Are the  original  Tabs not  Chrome Molly  . I thought Funco cars are 100% built with  Chrome Molly  

I don't know. but saying a chassis is all chrome moly is easy and expected refering to the tubing that is used but that doesn't mean all tabs are.

Edited by John@Outfront Mtrsprts

On 6/5/2018 at 5:50 PM, John@Outfront Mtrsprts said:

more random pics as my car is coming apart, note radiator is absolutely on the floor of the car, fuel tank is far forward with multiple baffels and a small collection sump for supply and return, this sump has a few more bungs to monitor fuel temp and ethanol content in the future so I could run e85 or race gas or any combination in-between. Note my fuel fill neck is "not" connected to my frame. I saw a car that killed the driver and the fill neck was mounted to the frame and clear tube connected it to the tank, when the buggy was crashed and bent up it tore the filler away from the tank spilling gas everywhere. air tank is for adding onboard air ride/compressor and will make the morning airing up ritual a thing of the past.

IMG_1254.JPG

IMG_1255.JPG

So I have a question about the fill tube coming disconnected. I ditched the clear tubing years ago and use a genuine fill hose that replaces the original tube. I have to think that tank would have to move a long way to breach that hose or connection. Never heard of this and it would have to be a knarly crash. Of course that tank is only held in with (4) 1/4 inch bolts but in a 4 seater like mine the seats help hold it down by pushing on the console. What exactly happened in the crash you mentioned? Funco chassis or different? Thanks